PDA

View Full Version : Accessory conspiracy; yay or nay?

jestephens
07-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I bought my Vaquero only a few days ago. I filled out an online survery from Kawasaki regarding the bike and my buying experience. In the survey, I left positive comments commending Kawasaki for introducing the bike at the same time as a handful of accessories, instead of waiting a year after like in the past.

That night, however, is when I began my project to replace as many lights as I could with LED's. The tail light was done for us, so I started on the Turn signals.

Has kawasaki designed their signals to be Uncustomizable?? The lenses can not be replaced alone, but will require the replacement of an entire molded and glued assembly. The design of which doesn't allow for the fitment of any worthy LED boards! With a hole just large enough to slide a standard bulb through.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/jestephens/Vaquero%201700/turn%20signals/DSCN3740.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/jestephens/Vaquero%201700/turn%20signals/DSCN3742.jpg

Was this Kawasaki's attempt to monopolize any aftermarket parts for turn signals, or do they not think far enough ahead to anticipate potential customization which is common of motorcyclist of any breed bike? ::)

C'mon, Maw Kaw, you're killin' me!

PS: I love my Vaquero. I will overcome this obstacle, but at the cost of some dissapointment in the mfg.

AlabamaNomadRider
07-10-2011, 08:22 PM
They are probably wanting all the dollars coming their way. If you replace something it will have to be bought from Kawasaki. Or, that is the way it sounds to me.

jestephens
07-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I helped a guy with a similar situation on his HD V-Rod. Getting into the light required "baking" the assembly in the oven to loosen the glues http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

nomadtom69
07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Jay did you sell your nomad or trade it in I thought your headlight was awesome

ringadingh
07-10-2011, 10:02 PM
That seems to be the way for a lot of the newer vehicles. Perhaps you can silicone some leds into the housing.

jestephens
07-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Jay did you sell your nomad or trade it in I thought your headlight was awesome

Thanks Tom! I traded it in. They offered more than I expected for trade in value. Who knows what I could have got for it out-right, but this made the transaction quick and painless, reducing my sales tax too ;)

cactusjack
07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
It's things like this that kept me from buying another Kawasaki. You'd think manufacturers would know by now that on cruiser or touring bikes the owners like to customize.

jestephens
07-11-2011, 04:28 PM
It's things like this that kept me from buying another Kawasaki. You'd think manufacturers would know by now that on cruiser or touring bikes the owners like to customize.

That's what baffles me. Are they hoping to corner the market, or just oblivious and willing to give up the aftermarket sales??

I just had a talk with customer service in CA bout this and another issue.

The accessory Gel Seat that Kawasaki offers requires that you remove a mounting bracket and rubber bumpers from the stock seat to put on the gel seat. ??? That's great if you don't plan to switch back and forth. Additional mounting bracket and rubber bumpers are not something a guy can order replacement parts for either ??? They didn't come with a $250 seat ::)

It amazes the hell out of me they had the foresight to make the sissy bar quick release, but the feakin' seat takes 20 minutes to move the hardware. Heaven forbid, you wear out the barbed rubber bumper from yanking it from the hole and shoving it in the next, you can't order more.

http://s2.images.proboards.com/lipsrsealed.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/lipsrsealed.gif I'd better be quiet and let Tim, from customer service, take a look and get back to me like he promised. http://s2.images.proboards.com/lipsrsealed.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/lipsrsealed.gif

glwilson
07-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Sounds like to me that you are discovering what the new after-market products are going to be.

For one... someone will need to replicate the light-housing out of plastic, and mount LED's in it then sell them online. Surely someone will do that eventually.

Secondly... a quick-release system of some sort needs to be designed for those like you wanting to switch-out seats more often. Someone surely will come up with something for that eventually also -- at least they should.

Guess what I am saying is... this is where the after-market products begin... by finding out what needs to be made to meet the needs of the riders.

You are ahead of the crowd on these so far apparently.

jestephens
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I sincerely doubt anyone is watching to see what people want to do.

On my '05 nomad, I wanted to change out the shift pegs. I had to cut off the welded stud, drill and tap a hole in the lever, for the toe shifter. It took a little cutting, bending and drilling for the heal shifter.
The brake pedal required some fabrication and chrome to make something that would accept an HD pedal, because the only aftermarket products for Kawasaki were "covers" that made the peg/pedal twice as large as it already was.

I had great pride in my custom work, knowing it was truly one-of-a-kind, but it could only be appreciated by other Nomad riders because any other make bike could just bolt that piece on.

I love the styling of Kawasaki, I love not following the crowd. I'll do it, and I'll be proud of my work. I just wish it was a little easier to do.

billmac
07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Glad you stuck with a Kawanow product Jay. I feel the same about "not following the crowd."

I am sure you will figure it all out and it will look great. You got me wondering if your dad is going to follow suit and pick him out a Vaquero too.

glwilson
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM

I love the styling of Kawasaki, I love not following the crowd. I'll do it, and I'll be proud of my work. I just wish it was a little easier to do.

If that were the case, then Idaho adapters, Wompus racks, Phatrisers, and etc wouldn't have been around.

All I was saying is, that if some "mods" are popular, someone might pick-up on them and start providing them. That's all... nothing more.

Regarding "wishing it were easier"... I always felt the accomplishments that were most difficult to do were the ones I was most proud of, and that others most appreciated -- as I am sure they will with the work you are about to do on your new bike. ;)

By the way... congrats on the new bike. They do look sharp!

ponch
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM

If that were the case, then Idaho adapters, Wompus racks, Phatrisers, and etc wouldn't have been around.

All I was saying is, that if some "mods" are popular, someone might pick-up on them and start providing them. That's all... nothing more.

Regarding "wishing it were easier"... I always felt the accomplishments that were most difficult to do were the ones I was most proud of, and that others most appreciated -- as I am sure they will with the work you are about to do on your new bike. ;)

By the way... congrats on the new bike. They do look sharp!

If he thinks his situation with Kawasaki is bad, just let me tell you it can be worse. All I can say it, if you can't find it, make it yourself if you can. Necessity is the mother of invention.

rickyboy
07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Jay, excuse my simple mindedness here but are you saying the orange/yellow/clear lenses won't come off at all? There didn't look to be any screw holes but it did look as though there were plastic "snaps" on the edge of the backing piece. Custom Dynamics didn't make LED clusters specific for an '06 but I hot glued the clusters in with no issues. That lense would be coming off if it were mine....one way or another. The heat or heat gun sounds like the route to go if they're glued on. Good luck, keep us posted.

jestephens
07-14-2011, 06:01 PM
rickboy,
it's definitely glued. Those snap looking parts are just locators to keep the lense properly oriented when it gets glued (I pressume). The lense has some molded accents (lines) in it that would need to be aligned correctly when assembled.

I most definitely will try something, but don't know when. I'm going to work on the exhaust and windshield first, now that I know the lights will be more work than I expected.
-Jay

azcruizer
07-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Just so ya know, both the seat bracket and the rubber dampers are available to purchase for the accessory seats. I have both the stock seat and touring seat with brackets and dampers installed for quick change out. Your dealer should be able to order these for you.

Jim Lohman
Gilbert, AZ
11 Vaquero

rickyboy
07-15-2011, 12:57 AM
rickboy,
it's definitely glued. Those snap looking parts are just locators to keep the lense properly oriented when it gets glued (I pressume). The lense has some molded accents (lines) in it that would need to be aligned correctly when assembled.

I most definitely will try something, but don't know when. I'm going to work on the exhaust and windshield first, now that I know the lights will be more work than I expected.
-Jay

Good luck Jay. LED's are nice to have. They should be OEM IMHO

jestephens
07-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Just so ya know, both the seat bracket and the rubber dampers are available to purchase for the accessory seats. I have both the stock seat and touring seat with brackets and dampers installed for quick change out. Your dealer should be able to order these for you.

Jim Lohman
Gilbert, AZ
11 Vaquero

Jim, you're right.

Kawasaki customer service called me back yesterday with the part numbers. Supposedly, I was told, the bracket is only recently available to buy seperate from the stock seat. I know my dealer said they had looked before and it was unavailable.

Bracket: 11056-0951
Rubber bumpers: 92075-1927 (need 9)

I haven't ordered yet, but believe the bracket was around $30, and the bumpers $1 ea.
-Jay

jesse
07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
I knew you should have gotten my plate "4 SALE". It didn't last long enough to install.

Hope your new bike suits you, they sure look good!