PDA

View Full Version : 1700 nomad useing oil

jp58
06-19-2011, 05:25 PM
I have 2900 miles on my 2011 nomad. Changed oil at 600 miles. Now 2300 miles later it is down to the low end of the dip stick. No smoking or and leaks. Anyone have this happen to them. I changed oil with Spectro 10w40

ray2
06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Hope it is not useing oil. Make sure that the bike is level front to back and left to right does not take much to get a bad reading. If not leaking anywhere this is all I can think of now. Be sure to check the dipstick in good light,new oil is hard to see on the dipstick.

ray2
06-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Forgot to ask how maney quarts did you put in?

AlabamaNomadRider
06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
If you don't see any oil leaks anywhere and isn't smoking I don't think it is using oil. Be sure and check anywhere that oil could leak. Best way to check oil is to run the engine and let it warm up and then shut it down. Wait about 5 minutes and with the bike perfectly level then check the oil. Does your bike have a dip stick or sight glass? The '08 and earlier models has a sight glass.

jp58
06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Last oil change i put in 4 3/4 qts. It was to the top of the hash marks. Now its at the bottom of hash marks. My garage floor is dry and so is under bike engine. No leaks. Will check it again. It is a dip stick type. I screwed it in all the way in as the book says to. I am also checking it with a cold engine and been sitting overnite.

AlabamaNomadRider
06-19-2011, 08:30 PM
It seems that a new engine sometimes while it is still breaking in will use a little oil. After that they get better.

ringadingh
06-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Our 1500 and 1600s take 3.3 litres, I don't know what a 1700 is supposed to hold but 4 3/4 seems like a lot to me. My truck holds about that amount. Make sure you are adding the correct amount.

replay13
06-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Last oil change i put in 4 3/4 qts. It was to the top of the hash marks. Now its at the bottom of hash marks. My garage floor is dry and so is under bike engine. No leaks. Will check it again. It is a dip stick type. I screwed it in all the way in as the book says to. I am also checking it with a cold engine and been sitting overnite.

Let it idle for a little bit first, that will pump all the oil to the back chamber, also checking it when the oil is hot it will show more oil. Mine is only about the middle of the dipstick after a oil change and I put in 5 quarts. I first put in 4,5 quarts then checked it hot and it was at the bottom of the hash marks.
I usually just check mine after a ride, let it idle for a bit then let it sit for a few mins then check the oil.
I hope this help,
James

cnc
06-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Was that at the top of the marks after changing oil, but before restarting the bike? If so the oil filter would have been empty and account for some change in the oil level.

ray2
06-20-2011, 09:02 AM
4- 3/4 Quarts of oil is not enough oil for the 1700. It needs 5.3 US quarts with a filter & oil change. 5 quarts is safe.

Sin City Stan
06-20-2011, 12:18 PM
4- 3/4 Quarts of oil is not enough oil for the 1700. It needs 5.3 US quarts with a filter & oil change. 5 quarts is safe.

Read the owners manual and the service manual. This is a semi dry sump system. 4 1/2 Quarts is what you will need after draining the oil and replacing the filter. If you think you're losing oil look under the LH air intake cover. Bet you find it there. (Don't ask me how I know this. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif)

ray2
06-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree Stan go by the owners manual and go from there. I, let my oil drain overnight and 5 USQt is what it takes to fill it up.

mrclean
06-20-2011, 05:13 PM
I always put 5 quarts in on a change.

blowndodge
06-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Read the owners manual and the service manual. This is a semi dry sump system. 4 1/2 Quarts is what you will need after draining the oil and replacing the filter. If you think you're losing oil look under the LH air intake cover. Bet you find it there. (Don't ask me how I know this. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif)

I'm guessin' your the overfill type of guy Stan?? ;)

Sin City Stan
06-20-2011, 07:20 PM
[quote="Sin City Stan":kr6umsa0]

I'm guessin' your the overfill type of guy Stan?? ;)[/quote:kr6umsa0]

I might have been but I'm a quick learner. After draining for about an hour, (I went to lunch.) I refilled the sump and kept topping off to get the oil level up to the upper level of the dipstick. 5 quarts total. About a month later I was checking the air filter and noticed a film of oil covering the inside of the LH air intake. I wiped it out. Then I checked the oil. It was over the top mark on the dipstick.

Now I measure it out and measure it in. Oil is always halfway up on the dipstick and the air intake has no oil film. It's been 4 1/2 quarts the last two times I measured it. I guess that's what the manual is for.

jp58
06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
When i checked oil it was a cold engine. I warmed it up and then let sit a few minutes. Oil level is about half way between low and full. So still alittle low but not by much. But after last oil change it was at the full mark warm. This was the first time i checked it wirh a cold engine. Never had a bike without a sight glass before. Learning curve i guess.

Sin City Stan
06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
When i checked oil it was a cold engine. I warmed it up and then let sit a few minutes. Oil level is about half way between low and full. So still alittle low but not by much. But after last oil change it was at the full mark warm. This was the first time i checked it wirh a cold engine. Never had a bike without a sight glass before. Learning curve i guess.

The manual says anywhere between the marks is full. Follow the manuals procedure to check the oil and the level will be the same every time.

ponch
06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
One, do you baby the bike? Two, did you put synthetic in? Babying an engine will delay break in if not permanently. Run it up in the gears once or twice when you take it out for a ride. I didn't put in synthetic until the third oil change. My nomad didn't burn oil. Just saying. ;)

jp58
06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
No I dont baby it. Did my 600 mile service and went on vacation to St Louis for a week and put on 1500 miles. Took a combination of highway and back roads. Lots of shifting Thru the gears. These bikes have loud shifting by the way. I used spectro oil both times. no synthetic. Weather was from 50 degrees to upper 70s thru that week.

ponch
06-22-2011, 08:12 PM
No I dont baby it. Did my 600 mile service and went on vacation to St Louis for a week and put on 1500 miles. Took a combination of highway and back roads. Lots of shifting Thru the gears. These bikes have loud shifting by the way. I used spectro oil both times. no synthetic. Weather was from 50 degrees to upper 70s thru that week.

Well, it should be ok then.

drno
06-24-2011, 05:12 PM
The 1700 is a real pain in the @$ to check the oil level. I just drive it.

davidjmurphy
07-10-2011, 09:14 AM
My first service on my 2011 1700 took 5.2 litres of oil,filter was also changed. That's as much as my truck takes.

drno
07-10-2011, 09:28 AM
This engine needs alot of oil to assist in cooling. im sure thats why it takes so much.

jp58
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I changed my oil and put 4.5 qts in and only went half way between low and high marks. So it seems as if i didn't use much oil. maybe half qt. Will be checking it more often to see if any useage continues.

drno
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Mine hasnt used any noticble amount in two n a half years.