PDA

View Full Version : Stable Motorcyle Jack from under $10

replay13
06-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I probably didn't re-invent the wheel here but I wanted something cheap and really stable for when I change my back tire in a week or two.

Parts: one 2x8 10ft long at lowes, and a piece of scrap leftover shelf board.
Cut the 2x8 in to two 3ft pices and four 1ft pieces.

It pretty easy to use and with the boards toward the back there is still weight on the front tire so it won't rock foward when you take off the back tire. I did it by myself and I'm a old dog 63.

Leave the bike on the side stand and put the two long board under the bike, then put two short boards under the high side of the bike (opposite the side stand), then push up on the low side of the bike and slip two short boards under that side. Then go to the other side and push up on the side of the bike and slip in the 1inch board on top, then do the same for the other side.

Maybe this will save someone from having to invent the wheel.
James

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/Replay13/BoardJack.jpg

AlabamaNomadRider
06-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I thought something like that might work although I have yet to try it. Thanks for the information. A question about how you get it off the boards if you want to explain. Seems like once it is on the boards it might be difficult to get off of them.

ringadingh
06-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I think you would just push the bike from the LH side until the boards are not touching the frame and kick them out, until it can rest on the sidestand. Then remove the rest of the boards.

replay13
06-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I just took them out in reverse order. The 1" boards on both sides first... then the two boards on the side stand side... then set the bike on the side stand and the rest just slips out.

It would be easier to have someone help by putting in the boards and taking them out. After pushing the bike up I had to push the boards in with one foot. Same with taking it down, had to kick the boards out while holding the bike up.
James

cnc
06-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I do a similar kind of thing with a 8x8 block and a couple of 2x4 blocks under the side stand to level the bike for cleaning, checking fluids, playing with the rear shocks etc. For my purpose both wheels stay on the ground.

Top Cat
06-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I'll stick with my Harbor Freight jack and Idahos adapter Thank You. ::)

recumbentbob
06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I made one of these works good on the wife's 950 Yamaha and on Yamaha Roadstars.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

But I prefer my Sears MC lift for the Nomad