PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Regional Rally

waterman
06-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Good evening folks. Time sure is passing fast and the Redwood Rally is going to be here soon.

However, it is probably time to start thinking about next year's regional rally. So far we have had 2 regional rallies, Mequite, NV and Cortez, CO as well as Crescent City, CA for a combined NW and SW rally.

Ideas about locations would be welcomed for where might be a good location for the next rally.

cactusjack
06-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I'll throw out some suggestions...

Flagstaff or Williams, AZ
Island Park, ID (25 miles from Yellowstone)
Santa Fe, NM

blowndodge
06-09-2011, 12:31 AM
LAKE TAHOE

Sin City Stan
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
What time of year are we talking about? Mesquite in particular gets quite hot late June through August. I think Scott would agree, we can stay home and sweat our a$$es off on a bike. No need to ride somewhere to do it.

Williams, Flagstaff & Cortez are good summer choices.

cactusjack
06-09-2011, 04:37 PM
It was hotter than hades when we were in Mesquite in 2008. I wouldn't go there for another summer rally.

waterman
06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
What time of year are we talking about? Mesquite in particular gets quite hot late June through August. I think Scott would agree, we can stay home and sweat our a$$es off on a bike. No need to ride somewhere to do it.

Williams, Flagstaff & Cortez are good summer choices.

Time of the year will depend upon the location of the rally. I don't want to be riding in 100*+ weather as well. Last year was mid June in Cortez, CO so that location probably won't happen next year. Williams was one I did consider for the rally.

We have had one close to the west (2008) and one closer to the east (2010). One in the middle might be nice for this one.

blowndodge
06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

waterman
06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I know BD, you just love sweating your a$$ off.

waterman
06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I'll throw out some suggestions...

Santa Fe, NM

Hmmm, that's close to Madrid, NM. Home of the Wild Hogs movie. We could all go riding in with BD playing Dudley. ::)

blowndodge
06-09-2011, 05:11 PM
BD is NOT traveling across the eastern imperial valley desert, all across AZ. 600 miles of riding int the desert with temps maybe above 110 is NOT going to happen in my lifetime... ::) ::) ::)

waterman
06-09-2011, 05:20 PM
BD is NOT traveling across the eastern imperial valley desert, all across AZ. 600 miles of riding int the desert with temps maybe above 110 is NOT going to happen in my lifetime... ::) ::) ::)

Ride at night, it's cooler. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

cactusjack
06-09-2011, 05:32 PM

Now who's the wimp? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Island Park, Idaho is nice and cool. Lots to see and do up there.

blowndodge
06-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Much better!

Jared
06-09-2011, 05:57 PM
IF WE DID IT IN SOUTH WESTERN PART OF UTAH WE COULD GO TO BRYCE, ZION, ARCHES, GRANDCANYON, HIGHWAY 12, CAPITAL REEF, ETC.

IT WOULD ALSO BE VERY CENTRALLY LOCATED. :)

cactusjack
06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
IF WE DID IT IN SOUTH WESTERN PART OF UTAH WE COULD GO TO BRYCE, ZION, ARCHES, GRANDCANYON, HIGHWAY 12, CAPITAL REEF, ETC.

IT WOULD ALSO BE VERY CENTRALLY LOCATED. :)

Been there, done that. We need someplace where it isn't a desert, and it isn't blistering hot.

waterman
06-09-2011, 07:11 PM
The Idaho location might be a good one in combination with the NW clan. We may have to do some talking with Netorske at the Redwood Rally.

Jared
06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
The Idaho location might be a good one in combination with the NW clan. We may have to do some talking with Netorske at the Redwood Rally.

I like the idea of going to yellow stone area.

cactusjack
06-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Island Park Idaho is approximately 300 miles North of Salt Lake City, and 100 miles North of Idaho Falls, ID. It is about 25-30 miles from Yellowstone National Park. It's a couple of hours from Jackson Hole, WY, and about an hour from Bozeman, MT.

Sin City Stan
06-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Island Park Idaho is approximately 300 miles North of Salt Lake City, and 100 miles North of Idaho Falls, ID. It is about 25-30 miles from Yellowstone National Park. It's a couple of hours from Jackson Hole, WY, and about an hour from Bozeman, MT.

Island Park sounds good (and cool). It's been over 30 years since the last time I've been to Yellowstone.

Netnorske
06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Might I suggest Susanville, CA? Great riding around there... 139 north of there and all around Eagle Lake is awesome....and Lassen Volcanic National Park is close by. Once out of town, there is very little traffic too...another big plus. Just a thought....

Jared
06-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Might I suggest Susanville, CA? Great riding around there... 139 north of there and all around Eagle Lake is awesome....and Lassen Volcanic National Park is close by. Once out of town, there is very little traffic too...another big plus. Just a thought....

I've ridden through out that area. Beautiful! Great suggestions.

landman
06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
frisco,colorado gets my vote.numerous great mountain roads and cool summer temps.

pronghorn
06-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I would like to suggest Golden Colorado. From there we can easily have rides to the top of Mt. Evans (over 14,000 ft. in elevation), Peak to Peak (Between I-70 and Estes Park, the Trail Ridge Rd. loop (either direction). A day ride covering 6-10,000 ft. passes in one day. These are just a few of the day rides available. I also wouldn't mind going back to Cortez there is still a lot of riding we haven't done there.

Jared
06-16-2011, 06:59 PM
I would like to suggest Golden Colorado. From there we can easily have rides to the top of Mt. Evans (over 14,000 ft. in elevation), Peak to Peak (Between I-70 and Estes Park, the Trail Ridge Rd. loop (either direction). A day ride covering 6-10,000 ft. passes in one day. These are just a few of the day rides available. I also wouldn't mind going back to Cortez there is still a lot of riding we haven't done there.

I've heard a lot of good things about Golden, but have never been there.

audiogooroo
06-16-2011, 10:06 PM
You know I've never thought about Golden as a rally base location, but you're absolutely right Rod. Great riding in three directions and Denver in the fourth, so pretty much everything one could want within easy reach. Plus, Golden is a really cool town. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

waterman
06-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Rod,

That would be a good one. It would also be a good one for the next National rally. But I would like to move this around so that the western members would have a little closer ride since we had the rally in Cortez last year. But, will probably put this up for a vote to the members.

Hey, are you going to be at the Redwoods rally??

Joel

cactusjack
06-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Anywhere that's 20+ degrees cooler than home is a-okay with me. I'd love to ride I-70 again over the divide.

Ever gone on the Coors brewery tour? It's probably too time-consuming to do as a group, but the beer they give you in the fresh beer room from a keg right off the production line is tasty.

blowndodge
06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Beeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

waterman
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Beeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

LUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pronghorn
06-17-2011, 08:06 PM
We can do both Regional that can serve as awarmup for National, Coors is a great tour.

schoeney
06-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Actually Jackson Hole is a nice place and very convenient to Yellowstone. Susanville is nice too. Susanville is probably cheaper as well.

There are a ton of cool places in Idaho.

Were we thinking of doing another combined rally (NW+ SW) or is this a SW only deal? I kind of like the combined idea myself because we can see where the fashion trends are headed when I see what BD is wearing. He is so cutting edge now isn't he?

waterman
06-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Actually Jackson Hole is a nice place and very convenient to Yellowstone. Susanville is nice too. Susanville is probably cheaper as well.

There are a ton of cool places in Idaho.

Were we thinking of doing another combined rally (NW+ SW) or is this a SW only deal? I kind of like the combined idea myself because we can see where the fashion trends are headed when I see what BD is wearing. He is so cutting edge now isn't he?

Never know. Might be a possibility with Kris. Are you coming to the Rally in Calli?

cactusjack
06-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I didn't throw Jackson Hole out as a possible site because it's expensive.

schoeney
06-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Waterman- Yes. I am on the confirmed list for the Redwood trip. Can't wait.

mhuskisson
08-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Not hot summer rallies are going to be a tough one in the southwest. There are a couple nice camp grounds in the Wiliams, Flagstaff area. I have stayed at a couple of them myself. I would suggest Las Vegas for off summer rallies. I also know that there are several nice areas in Southern Utah. Just some ideas.

waterman
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Not hot summer rallies are going to be a tough one in the southwest. There are a couple nice camp grounds in the Wiliams, Flagstaff area. I have stayed at a couple of them myself. I would suggest Las Vegas for off summer rallies. I also know that there are several nice areas in Southern Utah. Just some ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions. We are going to do some talking at the Redwoods Rally and see what we can come up with. Problem with offseason rallies, Mountains. Some of us would have to cross them and snow is a concern.

waterman
08-16-2011, 12:41 PM
For those of you going to the Redwoods Rally, lets talk some evening about the regional rally and try to get this going.

Jared
08-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Sounds like a great plan!