PDA

View Full Version : Still Don't Have It That Bad

Loafer
05-17-2011, 10:36 AM
It's official.
We have had the wettest spring on record.
Sports teams had to shovel the athelitic fields, so they could play sports. Ski areas still have snow for those how don't mind walking up, to ski down.
Flooding along Lake Champlain for Vt. and N.Y. Rivers have ruined bridges and roadways.
Farmers unable to fertilize their fields, let alone plant crops.
And some other stuff, just too much to list.
And we still don't have it as bad as they do in the southern states. Especially along the mighty Mississippi.
GOOD LUCK to all those that are being affected...
Thinking about all of you and sending prayers.

ringadingh
05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Weve had a lot more than usual as well. My lawn is the greenest emerald green Ive ever seen. Its growing like crazy lately.

Loafer
05-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I know what you mean, Steve. I went for a ride into the spine of the Green Mtns. today. The valleys have blossumed and on top of the gaps its about 4 weeks behind. Didn't see any wild critters, I liked that. Had a late lunch at the only A&W left in the state, Middlebury.
Check your map of VT. Rtes. 62E - 14S - 107W- 100N - 73W - 7N - 125E - 100N - 100B - 2E - 302E - 62W.

glwilson
05-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Last year I posted about the change from El Nino to La Nina... and that I was going to watch the effects of it.

Being a pilot, I have always had an interest in the "weather".

Well... it wasn't too difficult to see what this shift from one "cycle" to the other has does to the weather.

One note though... it appears the changes between these two "cycles" is producing a more pronounced effect than in previously recorded periods; and is more broadly spread in its effect.

While I am not one to scream about global-warming; or global-whatever; it has become more apparent weather patterns are more pronounced and in some cases more devastating (particularly due to the concentration of population in ares affected).

There are many reasons for the weather changes, and history shows we have had periods of extreme variation (the "mini-ice-age" was one period in relatively recent times).

Rather than focus on polution and popultion growth as being the main cause (although I am most assured both have had some effect); I have been most interested in reading about the studies of the Sun and its patterns of "heating and cooling".

Researchers have learned a good deal about the effect the Sun has on the earth and its weather patterns. The scary part is that we cannot control what the Sun does; but apparently few argue with the fact the Sun plays a vital, if not leading, role in our weather patterns.

Overall, we have more and more people exposed to the devastation of nature's release; and it is life-changing for many.

I also hope those most affected are able to withstand any damage they may receive.

In the meantime; this has not been the greatest "spring" we have experienced in this area for many, many years. Exceedingly wet; and cold compared to the "averages".

Loafer
05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Well, it has been a difficult spring, I have managed three rides. But, any time I'm feeling sad about it, I turn on the news.

AlabamaNomadRider
05-18-2011, 06:49 PM
We had more snow this past winter than we have had in probably 30 or more years. Spring has been pretty rainy. Still have managed to ride almost any day I want.

Loafer
05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Strange how weather can make you happy and upbeat, or sad and depressed. I've had years where I was riding in early March, and others in early June. Average year is early May. But I have extra time to ride now so I will get to enjoy myself more.

Cajunrider
05-18-2011, 10:12 PM
And we are just the opposite from normal down here. We haven't had any measureable rainfall for nearly 2 months. What better time to be in a serious drought than when you have a wall of water bearing down on you. Normally at this time of year, we are mowing the lawn twice a week. This spring we have been mowing once every 2 to 3 weeks. I'm not complaining. It's more fun riding than mowing.

Loafer
05-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Mitch, With all the dry weather you've had, what kind of damage will the flood waters do to your top soil?