PDA

View Full Version : Dropped a penny in my case. Down the "hell hole"

faxxxy
05-04-2011, 09:11 PM
So while I was doing the clutch replacement, I was using a penny to stop the gears from turning while I torqued the nut back on.

The penny fell and went into a hole under a very large gear never to be seen again. I knew about the "hell hole" under the clutch basket, but I was unaware there was another one in the front. :(

I don't think the drain plug hole is large enough for it to pass through so it may be there forever.

How worried should I be about this thing? It's about a million to one that it would ever "float" back up into anything important. Right??

:-/

waterman
05-04-2011, 09:19 PM
So while I was doing the clutch replacement, I was using a penny to stop the gears from turning while I torqued the nut back on.

The penny fell and went into a hole under a very large gear never to be seen again. I knew about the "hell hole" under the clutch basket, but I was unaware there was another one in the front. :(

I don't think the drain plug hole is large enough for it to pass through so it may be there forever.

How worried should I be about this thing? It's about a million to one that it would ever "float" back up into anything important. Right??

:-/

That penny should be safely at the bottom of the oil pan to never be seen again unless someone does a complete engine overhaul.

Cajunrider
05-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Another hell hole in the front??? I didn't know about that one either. I dropped the penny also. It fell behind the big gear. I was able to retrieve it with very long nose 90 degree pliers. It took a while but I was happy when I got it out. I missed the tip about drilling a hole in the penny and looping the end of a wire through it. Did you have the hole under the basket covered?

faxxxy
05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Another hell hole in the front??? I didn't know about that one either. Did you have the hole under the basket covered?

Yes, I had the one under the basket covered.
I ran a long screwdriver down the hole and never hit bottom, but the screwdriver came back completely covered in oil, so I assume it's a "Frontal" hell hole.

I thought about it logically and the steel gears will probably just tear that soft penny to shreds if it ever did get up un there. So I'm not too concerned about anything locking up.

It may be the best thing to happen because then the bits of penny could flow out with an oil change.

I dunno.. I do feel somewhat better after waterman's post.

ringadingh
05-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I didn't know about that one either, I doubt the penny will do any serious damage, most likely it will lay in the bottom of the crankcase and do nothing at all.

AlabamaNomadRider
05-05-2011, 03:52 AM
That is a real bummer. Should be heavy enough to stay where it is.

ndbigfish
05-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Why do people use a penny when you can use the bolt on the primary gear in front of the clutch basket? All one has to do is hold the bolt on the primary as it rotates the opposite direction. At least this is the case on the 1500s. I used this method at least four times now and it is shown in the service manual if I'm not mistaken. I would never pinch a penny this way! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

To your issue, you will probably be okay, but I probably would personally "encourage" it to come out by blocking the open spots and opening up the oil screen; then giving it some compressed air to try to get it out if you can't fish it out.

faxxxy
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I used one because it was a tip I read online, plus it made sense that the soft tin/copper penny wouldn't do any damage to the steel gears.

My biggest concern is that it would block off the oil pump. Other then that, i worry about catastrophic failure on the highway.
The reality is, if those steel gears are spinning at highway speed, that soft penny doesn't stand a chance, so I'm not real concerned about that.

My wife's a little freaked out about it. She wants me to sell it and buy a new one. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Top Cat
05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
What was the date on the penny ???

rewindgy
05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Don't want to be a spoil sport - but anything that don't belong there should be in there! Period! I'd be figuring every way to sunday to get it out - and if it means splitting the cases - so be it! All it needs to do is go thru a gear or hang up monentarily and the motor could lock up. An acquaitance had a 1996 1500 Classic that had a cog tooth break off ( smaller than a BB )went thru a set of gears - broke them and then all of the other parts seized and he went skidding the the road with the back wheel locked up - finally ended up i the ditch with the bike on top of him. That is why there was a recall on the 1996 - 1997 Classic's, would have never happened if he hadn't been a top Cop and had connections at Transport Canada!
Not trying to scare you, but I wouldn't leave it in there! IMHO!

cactusjack
05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I may be the only one who feels this way, but there is the chance that penny could become adrift and lodge itself between the gears and lock the engine up solid real fast. That thought would forever be in the back of my mind as I rode the bike.

Top Cat
05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I may be the only one who feels this way, but there is the chance that penny could become adrift and lodge itself between the gears and lock the engine up solid real fast. That thought would forever be in the back of my mind as I rode the bike.

Nope, your not the only one.
I would always be thinkin' about the damn thing in there also.

mikeyger
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
One guy got a good flashlight and fished his out of the hole where the oil screen is with a coat hanger I think is what he used. Also could try a wet vac vacum mayby and suck it out!

cactusjack
05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
One guy got a good flashlight and fished his out of the hole where the oil screen is with a coat hanger I think is what he used. Also could try a wet vac vacum mayby and suck it out!

Sucking up a bunch of oil might destroy an otherwise good vacuum.

cactusjack
05-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Nope, your not the only one.
I would always be thinkin' about the damn thing in there also.

I can't stand riding on a plugged tire for the first week or two. It bugs the hell out of me.

macmac
05-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Tuff call, but Obama did say we would get change. The best guy to know this would be MAS. his engine is part 1500 case and part 1600 case.

All I can say is I had a like problem on a xs 850 Sh, but had no idea there was a problem.

I was having clutch issues, and in the working found a thrust washer about the same size as a old silver dollar. It was laying flat in a oil puddle under the hyvo chain (primary chain) and with the head of it's bolt which was either 17mm or 19mm hex.

The sticktion oil makes had these glued down pretty good, but I was almost sick when I saw these, think OMG if that jumped into the cahin and gears I would be toast.

A modern penny is copper clad ZINC. These are soft, but the question is are they soft enough?

faxxxy
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Well that's an interesting glimmer of hope. I didn't think there was any hole large enough to let the penny out.
I think I'll give that oil screen hole a whirl.

MAS Tequila
05-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Pull the screen and keep pouring fluid through until it washes out.

It could (not too likely) catch in the trans and cause a problem. I had a very small bolt head break off in a 1600 and it lunched the trans.

If it went in the hole toward the front it will be a little more difficult. The hole by the clutch basket would be a straight shot to the screen.

I would get a couple quarts of CHEAP thin oil, like hydraulic fluid and just keep running it through repeatedly.

Good Luck

MT

reaper
05-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Sucking up a bunch of oil might destroy an otherwise good vacuum.
Better a vac than an engine

Cajunrider
05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
What might work would be using an air eductor gun. I'm thinking you could leave the bike on the sidestand and remove the screen plug and screen. Shove the gun eductor hose into the screen hole and hit the trigger on the gun. The hose pulls a pretty strong suction. Move the hose around in the crankcase until the air stops or slows down flowing through the gun. Keep the trigger pulled and slowly pull the hose out. You may get lucky and find the penny on the end of the hose after a few tries.

faxxxy
05-05-2011, 09:18 PM
If it went in the hole toward the front it will be a little more difficult. The hole by the clutch basket would be a straight shot to the screen.

I've already ridden it about ten miles, so there's no telling where it has come to rest.

AlabamaNomadRider
05-06-2011, 03:57 AM
You could always do as your wife suggested and sell it and buy a new one.

schoeney
05-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Note to self: Don't buy anything from Gene :-)

caper
05-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Another reason to stop making pennies:)

faxxxy
05-06-2011, 07:55 PM
It's out..
The oil screen option was a dead end, but I tore the side off my engine (for the third time) and after removing a large gear over what looks like a magneto, I saw my penny sitting very pretty just inside the hell hole.
Grabbed it with a pair of needle nose.
Now to re-assemble...
I couldn't find a step by step on removing that large gear so I'm hoping I got it all back together correctly.

faxxxy
05-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh and let me say.. WHAT A RELIEF!!

macmac
05-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Better frame that one....

ringadingh
05-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Probably the hardest youve ever had to sweat for a penny. ;)
Good to hear you got it out. Did it look like it would have been ok had you left it in there?

rickyboy
05-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I've been staying tuned to this thread with nothing to ad and unable to help.
Glad you got it out. And I'm sure the gear is fine.
You had some good suggestions and help thrown your way.
You just hav'ta love this site and the people.
Don't ya??

Top Cat
05-06-2011, 10:14 PM
And I still don't know what the date of the penny is ::)

faxxxy
05-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Did it look like it would have been ok had you left it in there?

The way it had come to rest, I can't imagine it would have ever moved.
But the other side of that coin (pun) I can't imagine ever drawing an easy breath while on a the highway knowing that thing was in there.

We also have some of the best twisty roads in America right here in NW Arkansas. I was worried about riding twistys and working that thing loose.

faxxxy
05-06-2011, 11:31 PM
And I still don't know what the date of the penny is ::)

I brought it in and sat it up on the fireplace mantle. Now there's a perfect little oily spot. I can only imagine the heck I'm going to catch when she sees it and realizes what caused it. :)

faxxxy
05-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm almost glad all of this happened.

#1 I learned a lot about my bike.
#2 I got to buy several new tools!
#3 The bike was "serviced" at the local dealer about a thousand miles ago. There is no way the oil I drained out of it today was new a thousand miles ago. It was black as tar and almost as thick.

I really appriciaye all the help you guys gave me. I now have a new clutch spring, a fresh oil change, a cool new torque wrench and impact gun, and I'm confident the bike is ready to roll!

Top Cat
05-07-2011, 08:55 AM

#3 The bike was "serviced" at the local dealer about a thousand miles ago. There is no way the oil I drained out of it today was new a thousand miles ago. It was black as tar and almost as thick.

I really appriciaye all the help you guys gave me. I now have a new clutch spring, a fresh oil change, a cool new torque wrench and impact gun, and I'm confident the bike is ready to roll!

Having lots of tools is a good thing.
I like getting new tools .
All I need now is somebody who knows how to work with them.
I have a torque wrench that for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it started. :-/

Loafer
05-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Having lots of tools is a good thing.
I like getting new tools .
All I need now is somebody who knows how to work with them.
I have a torque wrench that for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it started. :-/

Have you tried holding it? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

mikeyger
05-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Great news! I been keeping up wuth you're progress and this makes me feel better too! Go Ride!

rewindgy
05-07-2011, 06:58 PM
The fact you git it out is very very good news! Even though you believe it would never move - Murphy lives everywhere! Now you can sleep at night and know nothing is out of place inside your motor! Happy riding!

Idaho
05-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Hopefully you did not blab to your wife about your good fortune. You could sell the bike and get a new one with her blessings.

ndbigfish
05-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Been following your story. Glad you got it out. Now just remember to keep coins in your pocket. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

crazygene49
05-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Congratulations! You found the penny, now you'll have good luck. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

faxxxy
06-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Hopefully you did not blab to your wife about your good fortune. You could sell the bike and get a new one with her blessings.

We just sold her shadow 750. It was too small for her, plus we have very small kids and she didn't want to ride until they got a little older.

The Can Ams have been tickling her fancy lately. She wants to go test ride one and maybe get one next season.

We shall see. ;)

AlabamaNomadRider
06-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Glad you were able to get the penny out. Can Ams are nice even though they do look weird. Go for it.

ringadingh
06-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Yesterday a Can Am rally pulled into MV, they were all over the town. Pretty neat machines overall.