PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Size

vulcans2
04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I didn't find a tab to click on to start a new thread in the "Tires & Wheels" forum, so I'll post here and hope no one minds too much.

I need a new rear tire, and, in fact, ordered a new Bridgestone. Price seemed OK to me, at a local bike store. My question is, should this one prove to be as short lived as the stock tire was, and I decide to go to a different brand (and I like Dunlop tires--the Elite 3's) what is an acceptable size tire, inasmuch as the 1700 Nomad specs out for a 170-70-16 rear, is a 165 too narrow and is a 180 too wide? Also, can you run a radial rear tire with a bias front tire?

Thanks for your input. I'm still learning a lot of stuff about my Nomad.

gv550
04-23-2011, 03:25 PM
The Dunlop E3 rear is available as a bias 160/80 or radial 180/70. Both will fit a 1700. Kawasaki does not recommend radial tires for the 1700, but many people use them anyway. The 160 is difficult to mount on a 4.5 rim but a good tire installer will get it done.
I have been running the bias 160/80 and getting 20,000 miles from them, rather than the 5-6000 from the stock Bridgestone Exedra.
Bridgestone does now offer a high(er) mileage rear bias tire in the 170/70-16 size for the 1700, it is called Exedra Max. This tire has just been released so you won't know how it works until you try one.

Garry

vulcans2
04-24-2011, 08:50 AM
The Dunlop E3 rear is available as a bias 160/80 or radial 180/70. Both will fit a 1700. Kawasaki does not recommend radial tires for the 1700, but many people use them anyway. The 160 is difficult to mount on a 4.5 rim but a good tire installer will get it done.
I have been running the bias 160/80 and getting 20,000 miles from them, rather than the 5-6000 from the stock Bridgestone Exedra.
Bridgestone does now offer a high(er) mileage rear bias tire in the 170/70-16 size for the 1700, it is called Exedra Max. This tire has just been released so you won't know how it works until you try one.

Garry

That's the tire I just ordered--the Excedra Max. We'll see. Sure hope it's better and lasts longer than the stocker.

AlabamaNomadRider
04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
I would have gone with the Dunlop Elite 3 as that is what I am running and will run in the future. Until I bought the Nomad all the bikes I owned which were all Hondas came with Dunlop's. It is a brand I trust and most have given me good service and tire life.

peter
04-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi I am running a 180/70/16 Avon Cobra AV72 so far so good. Stones only lasted 6500 km. Metzler 880 only lasted 13,000 km. We will see how the Avon does.

The size is no problem and brings the speedo closer to accurate, as it is a slightly taller tire.

drno
04-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi Peter, im just south of ya 2 hours. I got 9500km out of my OEM BS running 40psi. Have a ME880 on it now, installed late summer last year, only 3k so far so Ill know more at end of summer if I can beat your distance of 13k. This is of course if we get to ride this year. Last year I almost needed a snorkle system with all the rain we had.

vulcans2
05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I would have gone with the Dunlop Elite 3 as that is what I am running and will run in the future. Until I bought the Nomad all the bikes I owned which were all Hondas came with Dunlop's. It is a brand I trust and most have given me good service and tire life.

Would that be a bias or radial Dunlop Elite 3 rear tire?

replay13
05-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Just under 5k miles on my 2010 Nomad and will need a new rear tire before long. I see Motorcycle Superstore has both the Bridgestone Exedra, and Exedra Max tires. $134 and $139 for the Max. They will mount and balance for not too much if I pull the wheel off so not too bad. I couldn't find much info on the new Max tires on Bridgestones web site, just one small clip in the news section.
I might give them a shot and see how they last, I'm happy with the old stones except the mileage.
James

vulcans2
05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Just under 5k miles on my 2010 Nomad and will need a new rear tire before long. I see Motorcycle Superstore has both the Bridgestone Exedra, and Exedra Max tires. $134 and $139 for the Max. They will mount and balance for not too much if I pull the wheel off so not too bad. I couldn't find much info on the new Max tires on Bridgestones web site, just one small clip in the news section.
I might give them a shot and see how they last, I'm happy with the old stones except the mileage.
James

The Max is what I replaced the stock tire with. Allegedly it is reformulated to provide a longer service lift. We'll see.

drno
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Would you let us know how it handles ect and your wear over the summer? Id really appreciate the odd update. Thanks in advance.

Top Cat
05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I didn't find a tab to click on to start a new thread in the "Tires & Wheels" forum, so I'll post here and hope no one minds too much.

I need a new rear tire, and, in fact, ordered a new Bridgestone. Price seemed OK to me, at a local bike store. My question is, should this one prove to be as short lived as the stock tire was, and I decide to go to a different brand (and I like Dunlop tires--the Elite 3's) what is an acceptable size tire, inasmuch as the 1700 Nomad specs out for a 170-70-16 rear, is a 165 too narrow and is a 180 too wide? Also, can you run a radial rear tire with a bias front tire?

You can run a radial rear and a bias front but not a bias rear and radial front, so they say. I don't know who THEY are buy someone must as THEY say a lot of things.

vulcans2
05-05-2011, 05:26 PM

You can run a radial rear and a bias front but not a bias rear and radial front, so they say. I don't know who THEY are buy someone must as THEY say a lot of things.

I've been out on the new tire twice, now, and, based on yesterday's ride over some great, tight twisties in the mountains north of here, I'm pleased with the way it handles. I'll have to give it a couple thousand miles before I'll know how it's going to wear.

drno
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Couple of thou, should have a report by Monday then :)

replay13
05-06-2011, 11:48 PM
LOL.. I'm looking forward to that report monday too. I'm riding in the snow trying to wear out my stock tire now, but I'll check back in when I get a few thousand miles on the new Max tire.