PDA

View Full Version : Belt Adjust Guide

replay13
04-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just did a belt adjust on my 2010 Nomad 1700, it was a lot easier then I thought. If anyone is interested in doing their own read on.

Take off both saddlebags, 3 bolts each. No need to remove the muffler, just take out the two bolts holding it up and it will drop down a little bit so you have room for the socket extension. The socket for the axle nut is 27mm, I used a 1-1/16" and that works fine. The off side of the axle bolt is 22 mm, a wrench works fine to hold it when you torque down the axle nut.

I marked the axle nut where the cotter pin was. I played around with the torque wrench and 80lbs put it just short of lining up where the cotter pin went, and it was about 90 lbs when lined up. The cotter pin went back in the same hole with the same amount of torque.
New 4mm cotter pin 30 cents at Nampa Auto Parts.

I used a Motion Pro belt tension gauge $27 from motorcycle super store, and set the belt for just a little less then 5mm, using the marks on the front of the belt guard. If your wheel is lined up already just tighten each side one flat at a time till you get the tension that you want. No belt whine for me at that setting.

James