PDA

View Full Version : Remove the bag?

Idaho
09-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Another newbie question;

What does removing and bypassing the catalytic converter (Goat bag) do for the stock exhaust and the ability of the engine to breath? Does the sound improve? Can this be done in conjunction with an air breather mod to increase air flow? If so, will a new ECM be needed? (I know this question is similar to another that I've posted but the initial premise is different) Gadets fix-it page has instructions to make a bypass system for the converter. Who has done this and what were the results? If this gives a little more rumble then it seems to be the perfect mod because most cops would not recognize that the converter is missing and the pipes would be stock. Unless you go through an emissions testing station you should be good.

Thanks again,
IDaho

ponch
09-02-2007, 06:35 PM
http://www.motorshopdemammoet.com/mammoet_bypass.htm
http://www.gadgetjq.com/goat_belly_replacement.htm
http://www.gadgetjq.com/valk_tips.htm
http://www.gadgetjq.com/muffler_gut.htm
http://www.gadgetjq.com/muffler_alternatives_for_nomad.htm

Another newbie question;

What does removing and bypassing the catalytic converter (Goat bag) do for the stock exhaust and the ability of the engine to breath? Does the sound improve? Can this be done in conjunction with an air breather mod to increase air flow? If so, will a new ECM be needed? (I know this question is similar to another that I've posted but the initial premise is different) Gadets fix-it page has instructions to make a bypass system for the converter. Who has done this and what were the results? If this gives a little more rumble then it seems to be the perfect mod because most cops would not recognize that the converter is missing and the pipes would be stock. Unless you go through an emissions testing station you should be good.

Thanks again,
IDaho

Idaho
09-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Ponch, geez I appreciate the effort and research but I already read all of that stuff. Unless I missed it the info that I requested is missing in those posts.

BTW I see that you list "Mikey" as Red and Silver..... My '07 (as yet un-named) looks more gold than silver. Still trying to figure out just what color it really is.

Thanks for the effort,
Idaho

dogdoc
09-02-2007, 06:46 PM
???????????????????????

ponch
09-03-2007, 03:33 PM
It's actually called Titanium. it is a little goldish, depending on the light. I really didn't do much research. I have more links to bike stuff than most. If you have all that stuff, they that's about it. Mikey is named after an uncle that passed away and left me money, which made mikey possible. Uncle Mike was a good old dago as Nico would say and he lived 91 years and died in the house he was born in.

Ponch, geez I appreciate the effort and research but I already read all of that stuff. Unless I missed it the info that I requested is missing in those posts.

BTW I see that you list "Mikey" as Red and Silver..... My '07 (as yet un-named) looks more gold than silver. Still trying to figure out just what color it really is.

Thanks for the effort,
Idaho

Idaho
09-03-2007, 06:13 PM
That is a great tribute to your Uncle Mike.

I'm getting ready to order a Mustang seat with driver backrest for the Nomad. That will blow most of my budget for a while. I guess that I'll just have to put my intake/exhaust plans and questions on hold for the time being.

That should make Doc happy. Poor guy seems to be having some kind of strange fits. :)

Thanks,
Idaho

ponch
09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
If you know someone with a plasma cutter, take out the rear baffles on the pipes. It should make it a little louder.

That is a great tribute to your Uncle Mike.

I'm getting ready to order a Mustang seat with driver backrest for the Nomad. That will blow most of my budget for a while. I guess that I'll just have to put my intake/exhaust plans and questions on hold for the time being.

That should make Doc happy. Poor guy seems to be having some kind of strange fits. :)

Thanks,
Idaho

finky
09-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Ive done both mods to mine and the differance is quite noticeable both with sound and inprovement in power and responce from the throttle.
There is a guy here in Victoria Australia that makes a bypass for the goats bladder and is a lot better than the French one and cheaper to buy.
The sound is great nice and throaty but not loud enough to be uncomfortable like the V&H or Cobra pipes.I love it.

Idaho
09-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Hey Finky,

At last someone who has removed the goat bag and installed an air kit. Did you also change out the engine control module? This is exactly the combination of mods that I'm lookin for.

Thanks,
IDaho

finky
09-04-2007, 03:55 PM
No I have not really had to we have a better grade of petrol here I can run 100% octane from the bowser so that eliminates ping etc,however I have added a K&N filter and drilled the plastic section of the air cleaner to get a bit more air in.I will be in the near future however be adding a comander fuel management system.The pic above still has the goats bladder on the bike but it evan looks better with out it.

finky
09-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Follow Gagets instructions for de baffeling the exhaust and add the byupass if you don't love the sound then there is something wrong.