PDA

View Full Version : Another brake pedal mod (freebie)

danimal2
03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
I have been looking at the beautiful scoot works brake pedal or possibly buying a Drifter pedal and started brain storming today while driving around at work. Thought I could come up with something that may not be as pretty, but not altogether ugly and still as functional as the other possibilities. I have a hard time justifying $180 for a brake pedal.

I had used gadget's trick to spline the pedal up a notch, but it put it right over my foot and it took two very deliberate motions to get on the pedal. This had me concerned and I needed something else before I got myself hurt. Not to take away from that mod. It's free and better than the stock setup.

The problem it seemed was more an issue of how wide the pedal was whether it be in the stock position or a notch higher. I thought about just cutting it down and doing away with the rubber pad, but figured that would look terrible.

Here's what I ended up doing.

This is a view from the pilot's seat. You can see almost the entire floorboard is free and clear now.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/DSCF1613.jpg

I cut the pedal in half. Moved the cut off piece to the top and welded it back on. The screw hole that keeps the pad on still ends up in the proper location to put the pad back on and install the screw. I suck at welding and just have a $100 Chinese flux core welder, but you can't even see the weld when it's done. Whether it looks good or not, it's hidden unless you literally crawl under the bike to look for it. It's also not a structural or critical weld. That factory weld stays where it is so even if your weld breaks it won't affect your ability to stop.

Here's a quick diagram of the thing. This honestly took me 30 minutes to do, including the welding. The hardest part was getting that friggin spring back on the brake pedal. probably 10 minutes just for that.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/brakepedal.jpg

Couple more angles. I splined it back to it's stock location and it ended up being just right. I think this is going to work out pretty good. It feels real good when you go for the brake. It's right there. Much quicker to get to and I got my floorboard back. Other than the lines in the rubber pad running the wrong way it doesn't look half bad.

Oh yeah..............did I mention it's FREE!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/DSCF1610.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/DSCF1611.jpg

Netnorske
03-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Nice work! That does look very functional and like you say....you get a lot of floorboard back. So easy schoeney could do it..... ;).

AlabamaNomadRider
03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Really nice job you did and it does look good.

nomadtom69
03-31-2011, 11:18 PM
I know a 1500 drifter brake pedal will swap out and move the pedal forward How about the 800 drifter are they the same one or are they different

dakota7557
04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Looks good, and appears functional...Great Job...Thanks for taking the time to photograph it...Thinking about doing that myself...It's refreshing to see someone think outside the box...Jody

danimal2
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Looks good, and appears functional...Great Job...Thanks for taking the time to photograph it...Thinking about doing that myself...It's refreshing to see someone think outside the box...Jody

Oh oh! There's a box?

I took the bike out for a short ride last night. I have to re-learn my braking. It's a totally different motion than before. So far I like it, but going to take a nice long ride today to practice with it and really see how well it works.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll put up pros as well as cons after the ride. Hate to see someone else do it and be disappointed in the results.

Dan

I know a 1500 drifter brake pedal will swap out and move the pedal forward How about the 800 drifter are they the same one or are they different

That's a good question. I always assumed that it was the 1500, but could be wrong.

Update: Looks like they're different part numbers.

1500 Drifter: 43001A 43001-1412 LEVER-BRAKE,PEDAL $72.47

800 Drifter: 43001 43001-1408 LEVER-BRAKE,PEDAL $64.95

Pictured below are the two photos of the Drifter pedal as compared to the stock Nomad. I studyied these two photos and wondered whether or not it would really make much of a difference. Is the 1.5" enough to get it out of the way. Also read here somewhere that a guy changed his to the drifter pedal, then later got the Scootworks. Couldn't figure out why the first one didn't do the trick. That's over $200 just to get your brake pedal where it needs to be and get your floorboard back. Here's the two photos from Gadget's page. In the first one it doesn't look that much longer, in the second one it does. Optical illusion apparently.

Figured I'd give this mod a shot and if it didn't work out and screwed up my stocker, I could try the Drifter pedal or break out the wallet for the Scootworks one.

Love the Kuryakyn and Scootworks stuff, but it's pretty pricy. Have a number of hobbies and none of them are cheap (mostly motorsports stuff). Need to get by as inexpensively as possible. If I have to leave off a few frills to keep a hobby going..........
I will.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/vivladifferance2.jpg

http://www.gadgetjq.com/vivladifferance.jpg

ray2
04-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Looks good and the price is right.

sly
04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice job, looks great too

nomadtom69
04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
My problem I do not have the equipment to do the mod and I hate to go to buddys house and ask him to do it everyone in neighborhood bothers him.

danimal2
04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Swing on by Tom. I'll weld it up for ya. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

wheelie
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Great idea, let us know how you like it.

danimal2
04-01-2011, 09:55 PM
First, thanks to those of you who read the post and thought it was a good idea.

I said I'd post up pros and cons and here goes.

Pros

1. You have lots of footboard now.

Cons

1. It's a bit awkward to be honest. I rode the bike 250+ miles today. Never missed a brake, but your foot ends up kind of half on and half off the pedal. I have aftermarket pipes and the heat shield prevents you from positioning your heel/foot to hit the pedal squarley. You kind of have to contort/twist your foot to hit it with the full sole.

I thought at first it was something I could get used to, but I think it needs some work.

I'm considering giving it a little bend in both areas that are already bent to position the pedal away from the bike a bit. Maybe just and inch further away. Unfortunately this is putting it right back where I had just moved it from by doing the mod and taking up some floorboard space again. Also concerned that the chrome will crack when trying to bend it.

Long and short of it is.........it's better than having the pedal over the top of your foot and having to get out from under then press down, but still not what I had hoped for.

It's the best it's been since I've had the bike but still not quite there.

If the bend idea doesn't work I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy the real deal.

poppy
04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Nice thread...thanks for the ride report.

shadow
04-03-2011, 07:28 PM
this may sound like a dumb ? but cant you just move the floorboard out from the frame a little bit? i have not had an issue with room myself so i have never looked before and my bike is not where i can go look at it right now.

danimal2
04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
i have not had an issue with room myself so i have never looked before and my bike is not where i can go look at it right now.

Really? You can fit your whole foot comfortably on the floorboard? I'm not cracking wise here. It's a legitimate question. What size shoe/boot do you wear?

Most of us can't. That's why they're able to sell us fancy schmancy $180 brake pedals. Or why we buy Drifter pedals. Or try our own shade tree stuff like my mod here. The brake pedal takes up at least 1/4 of the floorboard when in it's stock position unless you have really tiny feet. It's lessened if you spline it up, but then it's difficult to get to.

I rode it again tonight and without making any changes it was more comfortable. Maybe just because I'm getting used to it. I think with the two bends in it, it'll work pretty good. It's not going to take much.

jendesigner
04-05-2011, 07:26 AM
i have not had an issue with room myself so i have never looked before and my bike is not where i can go look at it right now.

Really? You can fit your whole foot comfortably on the floorboard? I'm not cracking wise here. It's a legitimate question. What size shoe/boot do you wear?

Most of us can't. That's why they're able to sell us fancy schmancy $180 brake pedals. Or why we buy Drifter pedals. Or try our own shade tree stuff like my mod here. The brake pedal takes up at least 1/4 of the floorboard when in it's stock position unless you have really tiny feet. It's lessened if you spline it up, but then it's difficult to get to.

I rode it again tonight and without making any changes it was more comfortable. Maybe just because I'm getting used to it. I think with the two bends in it, it'll work pretty good. It's not going to take much.

Dan I've been following this thread close, I plan on buying the Drifter pedal soon, not only do I not get to use the whole floorboard I don't like how far back the pedal is. I'm used to where my pedal is on my Vol with my forward contols, I'm not tall but I fell cramped on the Nomad right now, changing a few things for me to help that. Question: I'm getting the black drifter pedal, will the stock pad from the Nomad fit this pedal. Here is the link (btw, I like the black plus it's cheaper :-) http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page=partskawpedals.htm/SID=1302005273.16658

danimal2
04-05-2011, 08:03 AM
That's great. Hope you'll let us know how you like it and maybe take some photos? The couple of photos on Gadget's page that I put in the thread don't show the relationship between the floorboard and pedal (photos are without floorboard installed).

I can't say with any degree of certainty if the stock pedal pad will fit the Scootworks drifter pedal. In the photos it looks as though it will, but it's just a guess. The screw hole looks to be in the correct location.

http://www.scootworks.com/swcart/shop/drfped1_small.jpg

I know what you mean about feeling crowded. It's the first thing I noticed when I bought mine. Couldn't figure out why they had floorboards that you couldn't fit your foot on. Might as well have pegs.

I put the bend in mine this morning. It was surprisingly malleable. It bent really easy. Just put an inch into it. I need to get off to work. I'll have to try it out later. Oh yeah, the chrome didn't crack. I put it in the vise between a couple pieces of aluminum and it bent no problem and left no marks on the chrome.

Update:

Rode it again tonight after making the small bends in it and it's a keeper. I really like it. Just that minor adjustment combined with my getting used to taking a different stab at the pedal seems to have done the trick. I'm gonna run with it.

Again....not exactly the fancy store bought one, but perfectly adequate and still FREE!

Before putting the bends to it.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/DSCF1613.jpg

After. Still have about the same amount of floorboard and it's more aligned with your foot/floorboard.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/DSCF1625.jpg

skiman
04-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Scootworks is out of business as far as I know, went by the store it is all cleared out.

tonik
04-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Here's what I ended up doing.....

First I admire your resourcefulness and creativity. I can do this stuff pretty well but I don't have the vision to see it. I rely upon people like you. And second, thank you for the time and effort posting this. It got my feeble creative juices going.

I am on an 06 1600. What I did was loosen up the rear brake fluid reservoir and move/bend it a bit to get it up a little and a little closer to the engine. Then I dropped the brake pedal arm a notch lower and bent it so it is much closer to the engine...it ended up under the reservoir. Not the pad, that is beside the reservoir but the whole arm is under the reservoir. Overall I ended up moving it about an inch and a half closer to the engine and that got me to where I wanted to be. I can flat foot the floorboard with my toe pointed out just a little and I can go straight up and then over to the pedal very easily.

But more importantly I can get my heal on the floorboard and my toe on my highway pegs without hitting the side of thebrake pedal...and that is my preferred highway/long distance place for my foot. I am insanely happy right now.

Again, thank you very much.

dale55
04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I have been looking at the beautiful scoot works brake pedal or possibly buying a Drifter pedal and started brain storming today while driving around at work. Thought I could come up with something that may not be as pretty, but not altogether ugly and still as functional as the other possibilities. I have a hard time justifying $180 for a brake pedal.

I had used gadget's trick to spline the pedal up a notch, but it put it right over my foot and it took two very deliberate motions to get on the pedal. This had me concerned and I needed something else before I got myself hurt. Not to take away from that mod. It's free and better than the stock setup.

The problem it seemed was more an issue of how wide the pedal was whether it be in the stock position or a notch higher. I thought about just cutting it down and doing away with the rubber pad, but figured that would look terrible.

Here's what I ended up doing.

This is a view from the pilot's seat. You can see almost the entire floorboard is free and clear now.

I cut the pedal in half. Moved the cut off piece to the top and welded it back on. The screw hole that keeps the pad on still ends up in the proper location to put the pad back on and install the screw. I suck at welding and just have a $100 Chinese flux core welder, but you can't even see the weld when it's done. Whether it looks good or not, it's hidden unless you literally crawl under the bike to look for it. It's also not a structural or critical weld. That factory weld stays where it is so even if your weld breaks it won't affect your ability to stop.

Here's a quick diagram of the thing. This honestly took me 30 minutes to do, including the welding. The hardest part was getting that friggin spring back on the brake pedal. probably 10 minutes just for that.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/brakepedal.jpg

Couple more angles. I splined it back to it's stock location and it ended up being just right. I think this is going to work out pretty good. It feels real good when you go for the brake. It's right there. Much quicker to get to and I got my floorboard back. Other than the lines in the rubber pad running the wrong way it doesn't look half bad.

Oh yeah..............did I mention it's FREE!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/DSCF1610.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/Squirtcha/Motorcycle%20shots/DSCF1611.jpg

Great job! I been thinking about doing something with the brake pedal myself, and i like free!

Thanks for the tip.

danimal2
04-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Here's what I ended up doing.....

First I admire your resourcefulness and creativity. I can do this stuff pretty well but I don't have the vision to see it. I rely upon people like you. And second, thank you for the time and effort posting this. It got my feeble creative juices going.

I am on an 06 1600. What I did was loosen up the rear brake fluid reservoir and move/bend it a bit to get it up a little and a little closer to the engine. Then I dropped the brake pedal arm a notch lower and bent it so it is much closer to the engine...it ended up under the reservoir. Not the pad, that is beside the reservoir but the whole arm is under the reservoir. Overall I ended up moving it about an inch and a half closer to the engine and that got me to where I wanted to be. I can flat foot the floorboard with my toe pointed out just a little and I can go straight up and then over to the pedal very easily.

But more importantly I can get my heal on the floorboard and my toe on my highway pegs without hitting the side of thebrake pedal...and that is my preferred highway/long distance place for my foot. I am insanely happy right now.

Again, thank you very much.

Thanks to you.

It sounds like you found a better easier way to do what I was trying to accomplish. Thanks for posting it, and wish like heck I had noticed there was an easier way to do it "sans welding". Especially nice for the guys that want to change things up, but don't have access to a welder.

Anyway............sounds like we were both able to do what we were looking to do and our final foot position on the floorboard sounds almost identical.

You should put up a photo or two if it's not too much trouble.

I for one would love to see what/how you did it, or at least the final result.