PDA

View Full Version : HD vs Kawasaki prices.

patmahoney
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Was doing some window shopping and noticed that the gap in starting prices between HD and Kawasaki seem to be shrinking. Not that it matters as I just had to get a car so I can't afford either one, but thought it was interesting.

Vulcan 1700 Voyager $17,499.00 vs Electra Glide $18,999

Vulcan 1700 Vaquero $16,499.00 vs Street Glide $18,999

Vulcan 1700 Nomad $15,499.00 vs Road King $16,999

cactusjack
03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Interesting observation, although I'd compare the Vaquero to the Road Glide, which is more similar than the Street Glide.

Road Glide Custom $18,999

patmahoney
03-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Interesting observation, although I'd compare the Vaquero to the Road Glide, which is more similar than the Street Glide.

Road Glide Custom $18,999

Either way, I have heard some many people say they went for a Japanese bike over a Harley because of the difference in price. If you are not paying cash, the difference in the payment would be minimal. And the Harleys seem to hold their value longer.

asterix
03-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I bought my 04 Nomad with Harley trunk for $4000 with only 30,000 miles. Find a '04 road king for that same amount.

wiz
03-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Those are MSRPs. Many Kaw dealers will deal quite a bit while most H-D dealers don't do much if any off of MSRP. Of course if you really like the H-D better, the price difference is not really going to be a factor. There has to be some reason there are 300 ElectraGlides on the road for every one Nomad (statistics source, pulled out of my butt).

oldbikers
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Those are MSRPs. Many Kaw dealers will deal quite a bit while most H-D dealers don't do much if any off of MSRP. Of course if you really like the H-D better, the price difference is not really going to be a factor. There has to be some reason there are 300 ElectraGlides on the road for every one Nomad (statistics source, pulled out of my butt).

You are right there is a reason it is called image that could be why you have 10000 people that don't ride wearing HD shirts and none wearing Nomad shirts.

Top Cat
03-16-2011, 03:13 PM

You are right there is a reason it is called image that could be why you have 10000 people that don't ride wearing HD shirts and none wearing Nomad shirts.

Very good observation http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

usranger74
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
What about the difference in "quality"/reliability?

bigmacbkr
03-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a good friend ridding buddy who's owned three Electric Glides in the last four years which is as long as I've known him. He puts thousands of dollars of accessories on each bike he purchases and the 2010 is no exception. I didn't even know they made so many accessories for one motorcycle! Now the bad news; his 2010 has had so many problems that have sidelined him that at the last oil change he was having a shifting problem repaired and was told a bearing? was installed incorrectly at the factory and was the source of an unrelated whine he's experienced. Of course they have all been repaired under warranty but he got snake bit this last time and traded for a Victory Cross Country. He only got $11,500 on trade for the Harley! In his defense, the Harley had 40,000 miles on the clock, and he was simply sick of it and didn't trust it anymore. He loves the Victory and can't believe the difference in power over the Harley. He's also well over six foot tall and must have size 12 boots and now he admits he was always cramped on the Harleys but kept riding them which I guess says a lot for that Harley mentality. He's always liked my Nomad but felt it may have been a little cramped for him and I agree with him. My Nomad fits me perfectly but my 5' 10" frame is somewhat shorter than his and my boot size is 9 1/2" wide. :-/

ringadingh
03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Thats not a huge price gap like it used to be, but as mentioned those are list prices also. I think if it was me, and the pricing was rather close Id go with the HD. It does hold its value a lot better and from the bikes my freinds have they don't have any more reliability problems than I do. Those are american prices and they are a lot lower than what we pay here.The difference between HD and the metrics is considerably more in Canada.

Jared
03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
I too have noticed this. If I was ever going to buy New, HD is not much more at all. But I always buy used and I try to take advantage of the quick depreciation.

usranger74
03-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I too have noticed this. If I was ever going to buy New, HD is not much more at all. But I always buy used and I try to take advantage of the quick depreciation.

My last bike I had for 22 yrs before this Nomad. I doubt I will own another bike. However, if I win the big one, I still would not buy a HD. I just do not like them http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

AlabamaNomadRider
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Not a lot of difference between them. But when money is tight just a few dollars can make a difference. I'm with Bill, unless I win the lottery my Nomad is the last bike I will ever own.

drno
03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
It costs that extra thousand or two to get the massive vibration option. Also, it costs more to make a smaller bike than the Kawasaki both in engine and in overall size. If youd like a bit bigger ride, with more power, smnoothness, and ultra reliability you have to pay alot less. Its too bad your having to pay less for quality. Suck it up.

ponch
03-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but there will be flex with the kawasaki pricing and HD will be a starting point most of the time. The real price difference is greater than you think.

ponch
03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a good friend ridding buddy who's owned three Electric Glides in the last four years which is as long as I've known him. He puts thousands of dollars of accessories on each bike he purchases and the 2010 is no exception. I didn't even know they made so many accessories for one motorcycle! Now the bad news; his 2010 has had so many problems that have sidelined him that at the last oil change he was having a shifting problem repaired and was told a bearing? was installed incorrectly at the factory and was the source of an unrelated whine he's experienced. Of course they have all been repaired under warranty but he got snake bit this last time and traded for a Victory Cross Country. He only got $11,500 on trade for the Harley! In his defense, the Harley had 40,000 miles on the clock, and he was simply sick of it and didn't trust it anymore. He loves the Victory and can't believe the difference in power over the Harley. He's also well over six foot tall and must have size 12 boots and now he admits he was always cramped on the Harleys but kept riding them which I guess says a lot for that Harley mentality. He's always liked my Nomad but felt it may have been a little cramped for him and I agree with him. My Nomad fits me perfectly but my 5' 10" frame is somewhat shorter than his and my boot size is 9 1/2" wide. :-/

I test rode a EG Ultra and it was cramped. It's made for someone of average to smaller stature. To that end, it would have to be modified to make it work, at least for me. I could see spending 22K+ on a bike that wasn't correct out the door. The Voyager is a little more roomy, but it isn't as roomy as the 1600 Nomad and it isn't as smooth.

wiz
03-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Ride the bike that makes you happy, don't worry that somebody else chooses something else. I don't get these threads - I am very happy riding my bike.

jims
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm throwing in my opinion for what it is worth. Having owned several HDs and too many other brands to remember I have a fair assessment of the bikes as they relate to me. At 6'3" the bike that I prefer over any so far is my '07 Nomad. Everything else felt like I was on a pony instead of a horse, but that's just me. So my Nomad would be my ride even if it was more money than an HD because it is so comfortable. The reliability is an "included bonus". When I first rode a Nomad I was thoroughly impressed with it and I have been living happily ever after. I havn't ridden the new body style but sitting on it in the showroom it seems a little less roomy to me. Again that's probably just me with extra long arms and legs. I even think the stock seat is the most comfortable I can remember. I think a lot of riders aspire to own a HD from not being able to afford one when younger and owning one becomes a milestone to be achieved for it's own sake and not for the ride itself.

ponch
03-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm throwing in my opinion for what it is worth. Having owned several HDs and too many other brands to remember I have a fair assessment of the bikes as they relate to me. At 6'3" the bike that I prefer over any so far is my '07 Nomad. Everything else felt like I was on a pony instead of a horse, but that's just me. So my Nomad would be my ride even if it was more money than an HD because it is so comfortable. The reliability is an "included bonus". When I first rode a Nomad I was thoroughly impressed with it and I have been living happily ever after. I havn't ridden the new body style but sitting on it in the showroom it seems a little less roomy to me. Again that's probably just me with extra long arms and legs. I even think the stock seat is the most comfortable I can remember. I think a lot of riders aspire to own a HD from not being able to afford one when younger and owning one becomes a milestone to be achieved for it's own sake and not for the ride itself.

no, it's true the new nomad isn't as roomy and it's also true the seat is a lot better too. My only complaint are the bags. They aren't too aesthetically pleasing.

pirate
03-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Ride the bike that makes you happy, don't worry that somebody else chooses something else. I don't get these threads - I am very happy riding my bike.

Well put!

patmahoney
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Well put!

I didn't start the thread saying that one bike was better than another, just made an observation that the price gap is shrinking. I agree there is no need to bash HD or Kawa, ride whichever bike you like. I am happy with my Nomad, and won't be buying anything else for awhile.

schoeney
03-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Patrick, feel free to express whatever opinion you want about whatever bike you want. In addition to building comraderie this website is for sharing ideas, info, thoughts, and opinions among motorcycle enthusiests and owners.

toxictavrn
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
are those prices you list for HD the 95ci or the 103ci?, the 103ci is something like 2k more to get a 1700 (103ci) HD if i am not mistaken, so the price gap is even wider no?

wiz
03-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Well put!

I didn't start the thread saying that one bike was better than another, just made an observation that the price gap is shrinking. I agree there is no need to bash HD or Kawa, ride whichever bike you like. I am happy with my Nomad, and won't be buying anything else for awhile.

I found the price observation interesting, but the thread kind of devolved into some H-D stereotyping, which must have irked me as I just recently got my Nomad to stop leaking oil. I'll try to be less irkable - the advent of Spring will doubtless help with that.

ponch
03-21-2011, 01:06 PM
are those prices you list for HD the 95ci or the 103ci?, the 103ci is something like 2k more to get a 1700 (103ci) HD if i am not mistaken, so the price gap is even wider no?

Some models like the Roadglide Ultra come with the 103 stock, with others it is an option as you say. From what I could tell, there's not much difference between the 96 and the 1700 in terms of power. I haven't ridden a 103, but it would be interesting to know how it stacks up to the 1700 from personal experience.

henryk
03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
It's not just the price of the two bikes, or any bikes. I honestly
believe that with a HD you have to take into consideration the cost of upkeep on the bike. I could afford to buy a HD, but I can't afford the mechanic that comes with it. ;). Now if I was a MC mechanic that would be a differnet story.

Henry

ponch
03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
believe that with a HD you have to take into consideration the cost of upkeep on the bike. I could afford to buy a HD, but I can't afford the mechanic that comes with it. ;). Now if I was a MC mechanic that would be a differnet story.

Henry

How so?

cactusjack
03-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Henry

So you're paying someone to service your Nomad, right? What makes you think an HD requires more maintenance? Any vehicle requires upkeep.

Learn to do your own work. It's educational, and it can be fun. Oh, and it saves you money, too.

patmahoney
03-21-2011, 01:53 PM

I found the price observation interesting, but the thread kind of devolved into some H-D stereotyping, which must have irked me as I just recently got my Nomad to stop leaking oil. I'll try to be less irkable - the advent of Spring will doubtless help with that.

No worries here, I feel the same. My bike has not been maintenance free nor did I expect it to be. All makes and models have to be properly maintained to remain reliable.

ponch
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Henry

So you're paying someone to service your Nomad, right? What makes you think an HD requires more maintenance? Any vehicle requires upkeep.

Learn to do your own work. It's educational, and it can be fun. Oh, and it saves you money, too.

It's a wash. HD has a primary fluid and separate transmission fluid. The 1600 has FD fluid and antifreeze. Ok. I don't think it's a big deal. Neither require valve adjustments or throttle synchronization or special tools. Sounds like it's not a big deal.

wiz
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Henry

It is quite educational and generates a sense of accomplishment while saving $$$$. After doing my own fuel pump replacement (not that bad) I have become more comfortable with taking the bike apart and doing whatever needs to be done. The only thing I have a dealer do is mount and balance tires - and I should just do that myself too. Troubleshooting info here on this forum taps into more knowledge than most dealer techs have.

henryk
03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Wiz, CJ and Ponch

I did not make my comment out of ignorance. I do work on my Nomad. I do just about everything on it except major engine work, or things I'm not comfortable with. If thats the case I'll ask some of my riding buddies who know more about bikes than I to help me. I ride with a group of people who ride all types of bikes, all kinds of metrics, BMW's, Norton's, yes even Harley's. These are the guys who told me how much they pay for maintenance on their HD's. I also had a Harley at one time, an 883 Sportster.
Buy the way you did see the smiley with the wink didn't you.
Henryk

bigmacbkr
03-22-2011, 09:37 AM
At 6'3" the bike that I prefer over any so far is my '07 Nomad. Everything else felt like I was on a pony instead of a horse, but that's just me. So my Nomad would be my ride even if it was more money than an HD because it is so comfortable. The reliability is an "included bonus". When I first rode a Nomad I was thoroughly impressed with it and I have been living happily ever after. I havn't ridden the new body style but sitting on it in the showroom it seems a little less
roomy to me. Again that's probably just me with extra long arms and legs. I even think the stock seat is the most comfortable I can remember.
The 1700 Nomad is definitely "less roomy" than the older 1600 Nomads as it is shorter, has a new frame, and different rake and trail than the 1600's. I love my 2009 Nomad but I think the longer 1600's are gorgeous, practically "slinky" looking. I had a 2005 Nomad and had to put risers on it to comfortably reach the bars. The seat on the 1700 is also much more comfortable to me as I had to add a gel pad on the 2005. I'm 5' 11" with a short 30" inseam and the 1700 fits me perfectly. I can maneuver it better at slower speeds than any bike I've owned; the balance is perfect and the rake & trail are dead on. At 6'3" you would most probably feel cramped on the 1700, keep that beautiful '07 Nomad and enjoy the ride!. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

wiz
03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Wiz, CJ and Ponch

I did not make my comment out of ignorance. I do work on my Nomad. I do just about everything on it except major engine work, or things I'm not comfortable with. If thats the case I'll ask some of my riding buddies who know more about bikes than I to help me. I ride with a group of people who ride all types of bikes, all kinds of metrics, BMW's, Norton's, yes even Harley's. These are the guys who told me how much they pay for maintenance on their HD's. I also had a Harley at one time, an 883 Sportster.
Henryk

No offense intended! (at least by me - those other guys, well, you never know...)

ponch
03-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Wiz, CJ and Ponch

Henryk

No offense intended! (at least by me - those other guys, well, you never know...)

No, I was just being interrogative. If you have the dealer do the service on your bike, it's going to cost you no matter what the brand is, although some bikes will be more than others. The Nomad was one of the easiest bikes to maintain that I have owned. That said, I don't think the HD would be enough different to make me say no to it on that account. I'll tell you what though, if the Vaquero had a real two up seat, it would be hard to say no to...I really like the red one, but the bike is setup for solo riding.