PDA

View Full Version : WTB Dutch Bypass

lar
03-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I am looking for a dutch bypass to fit a 1500 Nomad.

bullman
03-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't know what it is, but maybe I need one too http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

cactusjack
03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't know what it is, but maybe I need one too http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

It's an assembly of pipes used to eliminate the "goats belly" in the exhaust system. I don't think they are made anymore, and if I remember, they were quite expensive. I'm sure the OP is looking for someone who might have a used one for sale.

Idaho
03-02-2011, 11:20 PM
You are correct Scott. They were both pricey and illegal. I believe that anyone who makes one puts himself at risk by selling them. Too bad.

AlabamaNomadRider
03-03-2011, 12:53 AM
What made them illegal? The pollution that were allowed to escape?

Idaho
03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
What made them illegal? The pollution that were allowed to escape?

That's a good question when you think about it. They allowed the stock exhaust to be modified to run without the catalytic converter. Makes you wonder how aftermarket pipe manufacturers can be allowed to make replacement pipes with no converter. Must be a hole in the law or something.

I'm sure someone here will know.

ringadingh
03-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Im sure you could find a muffler shop to make one up for you. Gadgets sight has an article about them.

trosco
03-03-2011, 09:09 AM
HPD, note the "for off road use only" disclaimer in the fine print on most new aftermarket pipe these days

cactusjack
03-03-2011, 09:17 AM
As I recall the dutch bypass was nearly as costly as a set of aftermarket pipes. Just buy a set of Cobras or Vance and Hines and be done with it.

ringadingh
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I can't see it making anymore difference than gutting the gaots belly performance wise. The only real difference I see is that you may gain a bit of room for some reason if you need it.

ve3hzz
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I can't see it making anymore difference than gutting the gaots belly performance wise. The only real difference I see is that you may gain a bit of room for some reason if you need it.

From what I read at the time the Dutchman's pipe/bypass pipe was made it did make a slight increase but not a huge amount. It did change the exhaust tone as well. I was thinking of making one to replace my goats belly for that and to gain some space under the bike. I too thought a muffler shop could make one fairly inexpensively as it's just a Y pipe basically with a different angle for the bends. As for legal reasons not to sell them, with after market they are a bolt on and all say OFF ROAD USE. These are to modify the original exhaust, which would not be allowed. Would be the same if someone could get a lot of FACTORY exhaust and then gut them and resell them, wouldn't be allowed from what I recall of the way the law is written. I think Jack is right, it's a loop hole they get by for AFTER MARKET pipes being they are stamped "For OFF ROAD USE ONLY" just like many HID look colored headlight bulbs are sold that way. Everyone knows they will be used on cars ON the road, but it's a loop hole of the law!!!

Scott

AlabamaNomadRider
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
So with any type pipe that says off road use only if law enforcement wanted to be a$$es they could probably ticket you with that type of pipe.

ve3hzz
03-03-2011, 11:00 AM
So with any type pipe that says off road use only if law enforcement wanted to be a$$es they could probably ticket you with that type of pipe.

Not sure if they would be able to or even care much. They would be more concerned with it making too much noise and give you a ticket for that. If they did and you went to court, they may get into it, but I doubt it (here anyway) As there are different laws in each state, guess that would be up to them. Also if (when) bikes have to have pollution emissions tests then it maybe that without factory equipment will not test it. Some cars without catalytic converts have to go have one installed or they won't test it as it came with one. So without that E test no plate/license renewal.

Scott

redjay
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Gutting the goatbelly on my bike made the performance worse and sounded bad IMO. Took it off after one day.

kpmhspirit
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM

http://home.insightbb.com/~kpmh.010/N-Dutch-Bypass.htm

Been there, done that. With the debaffle and DB the sound is not too bad but not as good as the Cobra's I have now but not as loud either.

Pete

lar
03-04-2011, 12:24 AM
The reason I am looking for a dutch bypass is that I am satisfied with the stock exhaust, but think the goats belly is ugly. I had a DB on my first Nomad, but it went with the bike when I sold it.

Idaho
03-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Larry, you could go to a muffler shop to see if they would be willing to fabricate a bypass. My understanding is that most will not because of the issue of modifying stock exhaust.

I did not realize that those nice aftermarket pipes that many of you love so much are for OFF ROAD ONLY. Get out there in the weeds gents.

ve3hzz
03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
What I would suggest is take the goats belly off the bike. Take it in and ask if they can make a pipe to match the angles. Most then may infact make a pipe for you and you will put it on the bike (with the hose clamps etc) so they didn't break any laws by making you a pipe. Also don't have to pay a lot more for them to CUSTOM fit it. As long as the angles are correct and the ends are the correct size and in the proper orientation it should work. maybe take a picture from the link provided as a guide for them. I bet many could come up with something and if there is any bikers there, they would be more sympathetic to your cause ;)

Scott

caper
03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
If you put a by-pass on do you need the electronics for the fuel and air supply? It must have less back pressure with the by-pass!

ringadingh
03-04-2011, 10:46 AM
If you put a by-pass on do you need the electronics for the fuel and air supply? It must have less back pressure with the by-pass!

No reason to change anything. It may have less backpressure, but the ECM should compensate for any change on its own.

rickyboy
03-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Been there, done that. With the debaffle and DB the sound is not too bad but not as good as the Cobra's I have now but not as loud either.

Pete

Nice piece on the dutch B.P.. I'll be going back to read other stuff about this Nomad. Is this your blog/page Pete???

Oh and when I took a quick look at your photo of your Nomad, I thought you shed was hang'in off your tour pak, just for a second. LOL http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

kpmhspirit
03-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Pete

Nice piece on the dutch B.P.. I'll be going back to read other stuff about this Nomad. Is this your blog/page Pete???

Oh and when I took a quick look at your photo of your Nomad, I thought you shed was hang'in off your tour pak, just for a second. LOL http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Thanks, Rick. Yeah, that background kinda sucks.... :)

It's not a blog, just somewhere to put some info and pictures on some of the mods I've done on the bike. I started it when I had the Shadow. Guys were doing a lot of mods and posting on their web sites. I also started it to see how to do it since I was new to creating web sites. I use MS Frontpage which makes it really easy. Also, I was tired of paying dealers for work which is really easy to do yourself and hope some find it useful if they want to do it themselves and save some money. Not trying to compete with gurus like Gadget just trying to help others a bit and help me remember what I did...

Pete

blackdogbrian
03-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Pete I started reading through your site back when I was riding my shadow too....
Your's and one of the other folks on this forum (name eludes me at the moment) were one of the reasons why I ended up making the jump to the Nomad.... since we came from a similar ride and you guys were happy with the nomad it made a good sales pitch to me.

That, and you guys were able to do effectively with the nomad some of the things I did with the shadow (though still seemed a bit small) like the front fairing and trunk.)

Thanks for your site. One of these days I am going to try and get one of my own, to document some of my thoughts on any of the mod's I've done..... and to remember the journey of making her my own!

rickyboy
03-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Pete I started reading through your site back when I was riding my shadow too....
Your's and one of the other folks on this forum (name eludes me at the moment) were one of the reasons why I ended up making the jump to the Nomad.... since we came from a similar ride and you guys were happy with the nomad it made a good sales pitch to me.

That, and you guys were able to do effectively with the nomad some of the things I did with the shadow (though still seemed a bit small) like the front fairing and trunk.)

Thanks for your site. One of these days I am going to try and get one of my own, to document some of my thoughts on any of the mod's I've done..... and to remember the journey of making her my own!

Hey Brian,....that other member of forum that had his own web page, wasn't "strobe" Cory Strobel was it? I ended up buying the tour pak and fairing off his Nomad when he sold it and went to the ST 1300. Great guy and very knowledgeable about a lot of things.
Just curious.