PDA

View Full Version : Need some info.

gman47
03-01-2011, 05:58 PM
For those of you living in Colorado I need some info. We're planning our yearly "guys ride" and looking to spend some time in your fair state. We'll only be there for a few days, coming in from northern Calif. thru Nevada and Utah. Lookin' forward to that stretch!!!! We're be in Colorado June 21,22 and 23.

Our tentative plan is to spend a night in Gunnison the take the following route: 50East to Poncha, then 285 north to Chaffe, catching 24 East to Green Mountain then 67/126 North to Evergreen for the night. The reason for this route to to get a glimpse of Pike's Peak. Is this route worth it?

With your recommendation and/or caution an alternate route to Evergreen would be 285 all the way from Poncha.

The next day we plan to take 40 from Evergreen to Craig. I would appreciate your comments, suggestions, and cautions.

I'm open to other route suggestions as we're in the early stage of planning. Thanks in advance.

waterman
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Gman,

Very nice roads you have picked out. Have traveled them several times.

What route are you taking to get to Gunnison?

gman47
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks, waterman. We'll be coming in on US 70/50 from Salina, Utah. I wish we had more time but some riders have to request vacation and have limited time. So far I count 12-14 in our group. this year. With that many, at times it kinda like herdin' cats!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't comment on the two options under consideration for the stretch between Poncha and Evergreen. Would you opt for one over the other; 285 all the way or the more easterly route?

AlabamaNomadRider
03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years. I would recommend taking a trip there. You can then ride up Pikes Peak. I used to see Pikes Peak out of my front yard every day. What a site. I remember driving west from Alabama and you could see Pikes Peak over a hundred miles away.

waterman
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks, waterman. We'll be coming in on US 70/50 from Salina, Utah. I wish we had more time but some riders have to request vacation and have limited time. So far I count 12-14 in our group. this year. With that many, at times it kinda like herdin' cats!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't comment on the two options under consideration for the stretch between Poncha and Evergreen. Would you opt for one over the other; 285 all the way or the more easterly route?

Sorry about that. Having driven both, you really don't have a wrong choice. If I had to pick one, I would probably do the eastern route with Woodland Park and north.

Hwy 285 would take you thru the South Park meadow which a high elevation meadow and still very nice.

Jared
03-02-2011, 02:51 PM
If you have an extra 2 hours you REALLY ought to consider riding through Zion to hwy 89 and taking that north up to i-70. Definitely worth the time!