PDA

View Full Version : help wiring stebel on 09 Nomad

paddyo
11-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I have the positive to the stebel going from the positive on the battery, through a 20 amp fuse to post 30 on a relay. Post 86 then goes to the positive on the stebel. The negative on the stebel goes to a frame ground. Using the schematic from the manual posted on this board for the 09 Nomad, I tapped into the brown/black which goes to the stock horn to post 86 on the relay. The schematic shows a black/yellow going from the horn switch to ground. I traced the wiring bundle from the left handlebar switches into the headlight bucket and found the black/yellow wire. I tapped into this one and ran the wire to post 85 on the relay. As soon as I turn on the key, the stebel sounds, even though I am not pressing the horn button. My goal is to have both horns sound when I press the horn button. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Sorry, I can't give you much help. I just put a Stebel on my bike, but I ordered the wiring harness, and it was very simple plug and play. Not sure where you bought your horn,but I bought mine and the harness from BikerHiway.

Top Cat
11-22-2010, 12:13 AM
The instructions that came with my Stebel say to hookit up like this.
I'm working out from relay here.
87 on relay to 20A fuse to positive on battery
85 on relay to old horn positive wire
30 on relay to positive on Stebel.
86 on relay to old horn wire from horn button.

Cajunrider
11-22-2010, 07:45 AM
On my '07, I removed the stock horn and wired up a relay as you did. The wire coming from my OEM horn button was negative. I hooked it up thinking the button wire was positive and the horn would blow when I turned the ignition on. It's been a while and I'm working on memory but I'm pretty sure this is what happened. I also purchased the plug & play wiring kit with the horn. Keep in mind that my Nomad is an '07. CJ, am I correct on this?

oldbikers
11-22-2010, 08:10 AM
This may help you this was sent to me by catusjack the head lights are where the horn would be. Horn wire will go to # 86
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm125/oldbikers/oldbikers_relay_diagram.jpg

Top Cat
11-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Apparently there are a number of different ways to hook this up. ???

cactusjack
11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
This may help you this was sent to me by catusjack the head lights are where the horn would be. Horn wire will go to # 86
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm125/oldbikers/oldbikers_relay_diagram.jpg

Not quite, Jim. Wiring a horn is different because of the 2 wires coming from the horn switch. But this schematic is good for someone wiring driving lights.

cactusjack
11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
The instructions that came with my Stebel say to hookit up like this.
I'm working out from relay here.
87 on relay to 20A fuse to positive on battery
85 on relay to old horn positive wire
30 on relay to positive on Stebel.
86 on relay to old horn wire from horn button.

This is correct for wiring a Stebel horn by itself. The original poster wants to use both the stock horn AND a Stebel horn, for some reason. To use both horns, you'd need to connect the (+) to the stock horn in series with the (+) to the Stebel off of post 30, I think.

oldbikers
11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Sorry about that pulled up the wrong drawing. :(

cnc
11-22-2010, 03:46 PM
First let me say that I have not installed a stebel so|I am just a taking a guess. As the horn switch interupts the negative lead to the horn, I suspect that you have tapped into the black / yellow on the wrong side of the horn switch, (always grounded instead of interrupted by the horn switch). I think you would want to tap into the wire running from the horn button to the horn.

Sin City Stan
11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
The horn button switches the ground. Which means the Positive is connected straight to the relay coil and the negative (ground) is downstream from the horn button to the relay coil. This one caught me the first time also.

I didn't realize the horn button switched the ground until I dug out the schematic. Damn backward engineering.

Cajunrider
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
The horn button switches the ground. Which means the Positive is connected straight to the relay coil and the negative (ground) is downstream from the horn button to the relay coil. This one caught me the first time also.

I didn't realize the horn button switched the ground until I dug out the schematic. Damn backward engineering.

Stan, did you get the rude discovery like I did when you turned on the ignition? Scared the living crap out of me in my garage. The dogs started barking and so did the wife. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Sin City Stan
11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
[quote="Sin City Stan":wwbq02r5]The horn button switches the ground. Which means the Positive is connected straight to the relay coil and the negative (ground) is downstream from the horn button to the relay coil. This one caught me the first time also.

Stan, did you get the rude discovery like I did when you turned on the ignition? Scared the living crap out of me in my garage. The dogs started barking and so did the wife. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif[/quote:wwbq02r5]

No. In my case I got nothin. I ended up with two ground wires going to the relay coil. One from the horn switch and the other ground I connected.

paddyo
11-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I ended up with two ground wires going to the relay coil. One from the horn switch and the other ground I connected.

Stan does this mean that you connected to the ground wire that comes from the switch in the headlight bucket and a frame ground to the 85/86 poles on the relay?

I have my relay under the seat with pole 30 going to the battery through a 20 amp fuse and pole 87 going to the positive on the stebel. The negative of the stebel goes to a frame ground.

Sin City Stan
11-24-2010, 01:54 PM
In my case I connected the switched ground from the horn button to the relay coil under the right side cover. (The wire that used to go to the stock horn.)

I took a positive wire from an Aux. fuse block to the other side of the relay coil and jumped the same wire to the NO contact on the relay contact.

From the other side of the NO relay contact I ran that wire with a battery ground to the Horn.

I have a drawing around here somewhere if someone wants to see it.

paddyo
11-24-2010, 05:52 PM

If you can find it or tell me where to find it, I would appreciate it.

paddyo
11-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Update/Additional Question:

I pulled the 10 amp fuse for the horn in the fuse box and connected the 85 and 86 posts of the relay to the into the two contact points. When I press the horn button, the stebel sounds but the stock horn does not. It seems like both should sound since the circuit is going through the relay, closing the contact in the relay for the stebel, and continuing on to close the circuit for the stock horn. When I take the relay out of the way and jump the connecters with a piece of wire the stock horn sounds. When I connect the jumper wire to the ends of the wires going to the 85/86 posts of the relay and connect across the fuse, the stock horn sounds but not the stebel. Anyone have any ideas?

Top Cat
11-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I have an idea.
Put the stock horn on the shelf and wire it up the way I stated in my first post. ;) http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Sin City Stan
11-25-2010, 11:11 AM

If you can find it or tell me where to find it, I would appreciate it.

Can't find it. I will draw something up this weekend. Your problem is the combination of a ground being switched by the horn button and the +12V being switched by the relay.

It's an easy fix but not an easy explanation without a picture.

paddyo
11-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks Stan. I just figured it out. I will post thread as to how I did it. Thanks again

egetaseb
12-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Very useful info here. I will be installing my stebel hourn in a few days.