PDA

View Full Version : recall

muddler
11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I assume most of you have probably received a recall notice if you own a 2009 Nomad or Voyager. If you haven't, you might want to go to the Kawasaki home page and after clicking on the "recall" button type in your VIN #. If your machine qualifies, your dealer will install a refurbished ECU (about a 30 minute job). If this is old news... sorry... Just ignore.

dandantmm
11-01-2010, 08:50 PM
My friend got his today. He called his dealer and they were working on ordering some for the ones they had sold.

AlabamaNomadRider
11-01-2010, 11:30 PM
You buy a new Nomad then have a recall and get a refurbished ECU. That is the way with industry these days.

It would be nice if they went back and covered a few more years. Some have had the problem described with the 2009.

Dave
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM
But won't a refurbished ECU be nothing more than a fairly new board with a swapped out a eprom chip?

mattg43
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
My 09 is covered - from the way the recall reads all 1700s are covered:

From the recall notice letter:

The reason for this notice:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009 & 2010 Vulcan® 1700 Voyager®, Voyager® ABS, Nomad™, Nomad™ 2T, Classic, Classic LT (VN1700A9FA/FAL, VN1700AAF/FL, VN1700B9FA/FAL, VN1700BAF/FL, VN1700C9F/FA/FAL/FL, VN1700CAF/FL, VN1700E9F/FA/FAL/FL, VN1700EAF/FL, VN1700G9F/FL, VN1700GAF/FL) models. On some eligible units, the vehicle may stall under deceleration due to an improper setting of the electronic control unit. This could create the potential for a crash, resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you have purchased one of these units.

mrclean
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Had the new ecu put in my Voyager today. took 10 mins in and out.

Sin City Stan
11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Had the new ecu put in my Voyager today. took 10 mins in and out.

And . . . . ???

drno
11-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Not avail in Canada yet. Will be a month or so before we get it I'm guessing, just in time for 10 feet of snow.

paddyo
11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
On Saturday, 10/30, I bought a 2009 red/beige Nomad. On Sunday it died 2 times, whenever I came to a stop. I had been told by the service manager that the idle was adjustable, so I looked it up in the manual. I bumped it up 100 rpm and it now only occasionally dies. I called on Tuesday about the problem. He told me about the recall and said he had already ordered the ECM. He will let me know when it comes in. Once I get it, I will let you know how it works.

cdneh
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I have not had any stalling problem on my 09 Nomad. I believe the problem lies more with the Voyager. In any case I called my dealer today after getting the letter and he didn't know anything about it. He says Kawasaki often does that, sends out letters to owners and not to the dealer first. He then found out the part is back ordered until November 16. It's getting pretty cold now so a warm day will be needed to ride over for the installation.

altadrifter
11-05-2010, 10:43 PM
i talked to my dealer today and he said the recall was just released today (nov 5)..he figured it would be a couple of weeks till he had the replacement ecu in stock

paddyo
11-06-2010, 05:48 PM
A cold front came through and the temperatures were in the 40's-60's. The bike started dying more often, even after bumping the idle to +150 RPM. I got a call from the service manager of the dealership from which I bought my 09 Nomad last Saturday, 10/30, that the ECU had come in. I went in this afternoon and they put it in. It sits next to the battery so it took about 10 minutes to replace. It has completely changed how the bike runs. Now when coming down to idle, it no longer either dips down and then comes back to proper idle speed nor die. Using the MPG readout, it appears my gas mileage has gone up about 10%. I will see how it does long term, but so far it looks like it fixed the problem.

Sin City Stan
11-06-2010, 08:23 PM
It has completely changed how the bike runs. Now when coming down to idle, it no longer either dips down and then comes back to proper idle speed nor die. Using the MPG readout, it appears my gas mileage has gone up about 10%. I will see how it does long term, but so far it looks like it fixed the problem.

That sounds promising. I take the bike in Tuesday morning to get the ECU replaced.

madotu
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I had mine changed out this morning. I can tell the difference in the idling. It does seem to be running better.

vulcans2
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Just got the ECU swapped out this afternoon. Don't know how much difference, if any it will make, but it didn't stall out on the way home. Actually, the only "stalling" has been a couple times coming up to a stop sign or red light, when it died on me. It immediately restarted, though. Other than that, it's been operating just fine. I suspect that now it won't die until I kill the ignition switch on it.

Sin City Stan
11-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Had it changed out this morning. Got back to work and the bike sat for about seven hours. I walked out and went through my normal start up procedure. It was 56 degrees. I tried to make it stall. It wouldn't. The cold engine drivability (I made that word up) was smooth and a welcome improvement.

Supposed to be lower 40s in the Valley tomorrow morning. That means upper 30s at the house. That should be a good test for it although I think Ma Kaw might have got it right.

Sin City Stan
11-10-2010, 04:45 PM
38 degrees this morning and the bike ran great. The idle speed was a little higher but as the bike warmed up the idle went back to normal. Looks like Ma Kaw installed an electronic choke.

meat
11-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Had the ECU put on yesterday and it makes a big differecne in the way it runs. Much smoother. It took more time to do the paper work than it did to install the ECU. I did'nt think my bike needed it but I'm glad I had it done.

finger
11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif glad to hear all the good reports about the new ECU. I go to get mine done this afternoon

Sin City Stan
01-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Well the results are in. After 1000 miles riding 2 up with the new ECU the results show a 1 mpg increase. Plus cold temperature drivability. Looks like they got it right.