PDA

View Full Version : A road trip story

Idaho
10-06-2007, 09:41 PM
This is kind of long.

Three years ago I loaded up my Suzi Volusia and headed out for a road trip from Idaho to Ohio and back. My Mother and one sister were moving back to Florida and I wanted to visit them before they headed south. (they have since moved back to Ohio) Anyway after a week long visit I left Mansfield, Ohio about 6:30 on a Friday morning determined to be home two days later on Fathers Day. I said my usual prayer before I left asking for guidance and protection. It was a great day for traveling, no serious weather all day. But, I was wearing my Blue Knights colors. Luckily I also had a travel bag over the passenger backrest sitting on the pillion that I was using as a backrest so you could not see much of my colors.

Well as I was rolling through Iowa I looked in my mirrors and noticed a tight formation of 6 to 8 bikes coming up real fast and staying together as a block in and out of traffic. My immediate thought was “outlaws”. I was in the left lane and started looking for a hole to move out of their way. When I checked the mirrors again they were filling up fast with motorcycles, those guys were going to go around me on both sides in one lane on the interstate! I rolled on the throttle and squirted in between two vehicles to get out of their way. As they went by I noticed that they were wearing Hells Angels colors from Chicago and L.A. and the last two guys in the formation turned and looked me over real close as they shot by. I started praying and asked that I did not find myself at the same stop as those guys for the remainder of the day. Spotted them three more times that day, either them at a stop as I went buy or vice versa but I never wound up at the same stop. Thank God.

I made it through Omaha, it was dark and raining cats and dogs and I could not see. Finally decided half way to Lincoln to call it quits and find a motel. Sign advertised one at the next exit so I took it. No indication at the stop sign which way the motel was so I went right. The motel was to the left. I turned around and spotted a car pulling into the parking lot just as I started to slow down to turn in. The trip odometer on the bike read 910 miles for the day. The Traveler walked into the motel front door as I was getting off the bike. When I walked into the lobby, dripping wet in my helmet and rain gear, the desk clerk looked and me and said that he only had one room left and that he was sorry but that the Traveler was here first. He explained that it was a smoking room…. Well, the Traveler said that he did not think his wife would want a smoking room and that he would go out and ask her. I’m dripping wet saying “Please, please, please God, let her say no.” Wouldn’t you know, she did and the traveler disappeared out the door.

I turned to the desk clerk and said “I’ll take it.”

Just then the motel phone rang and the clerk excused himself to get it. When I turned back to the door two BIG guys wearing helmets and rain suits walked in. Now I’m not a little guy, 6 feet and 220 lubs, but both of these dudes were bigger than me.

I said “Sorry gents, he has one room left and I just got it.”

The desk clerk had just finished his call and chimmed in “Yeah, but.”

Now, fear gripped me as I’m standing here thinking that I dodged the Hells Angels all day long and now this clerk is going to put me into a room with two huge bikers that I don’t know from Adam and I’m starting to say my prayers again. “Okay Lord, we have done real good so far today, don’t leave me now.” I look at the clerk “But what?” I ask.

He then explains that it is one large apartment with two bedrooms, one with two beds and a separate room all by itself with a door and that they share a common bathroom. I’m thinking to myself, “This can’t be happening, just great. Hey, Lord? Are you still with me here?”

I turned back to the two giants in front of me and give them a closer inspection as they too were looking me over. They had on nicer rain gear than I did so I figure that they are not outlaws. Outlaws would be out in this weather with a T-shirt and leather vest. They are looking at me and each other and I’m thinking they are probably sizing me up and that they figure they could kick my butt if they had to. I’m still praying and giving God credit for a great job so far and putting my trust in Him.

So I say “Hey, I don’t know you guys, but we are in the same boat here and the room does seem to fit our situation. So if you want to share I will be happy to do so.” I can’t even believe that I said it.

They look at each other and back at me one more time and said “It’s a deal.”

So, we get out our money and split the room fee and get registered. Room turned out to be a bargain at 21 bux each. On the way out the front door I ask their names and what they do. I just wanted to know if I was sharing the room with mass murderers. The older of the two tells me that he is a Corrections Officer from Wisconsin on an annual road trip with his son.

Hey, I can’t make this stuff up.

So we head for the room and I pile my stuff in the single room ( the one with the door ) and take off my raingear so that he can see my Blue Knights colors. I walk up to him with one of my Idaho State Police business cards that identified me as a Chaplain and handed it to him as he sat on the edge of one of the beds. I said “let me introduce myself” and handed him my card. He sat there and read it and all he said was “Perfect”.

We all slept like babies.

I’m telling you, prayer works. There is no way that all of this happened by chance.

Idaho

dan
10-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Hey Idaho!!! I appreciate that story and I can tell you that without a doubt that our God is interactive if we just take note of our circumstances and our surroundings. It's one thing to ask God for something, it is another to sit and wait and watch the results of trust, faith and obedience. Story time Idaho....... Last summer I and two of my friends went from Illinois to Utah. As fate would have it, I was always the one in the rear. Me on my Nomad and them on their Harleys. I just assumed that they wanted me back there to pick up the pieces that fell off. The three of us were ascending a long but not steep grade in Utah. There was a semi in front of the lead man. I saw him go out and pass the semi. The second guy pulled up, went out and passed the semi. I pulled up, peaked out and saw another semi coming down hill. I knew there was no way possible for me to pass this semi safely so I tucked back in behind the other semi and waited my turn. Now please understand that I knew better and I have
absolutely no excuse or reason for what I did next. Without thought, I failed to shift down and hit the throttle and went for the pass while the other truch was still heading toward me. I realized half way pass the trailer that I was passing that I was not going to make it. I was running about 85 I guess. What happened next is a mystery to me to this day. I had nowhere to go. I was in the on coming lane, half way pass the trailer I was passing and that is where the on coming truck passed me going the other direction. In a matter of a split second I had resigned myself that this was the way I was going out. Like a bug on the front of a Peterbuilt. Don't ask me how I survived. I do not know. I don't remember pulling to the center of the road. I don't remember any of the two trucks pulling over in either direction. All I know is that all of a sudden I was still passing the trailer truck and the other one had gone by the other way. I was somewhere in the middle. OH, yes , it was a two lane road. I am pretty sure I lived a miracle. Hear is another truth, it was almost 6 months before I stopped seeing that occur over and over in my mind. I would see it in the mirror in the morning when I was shaving. Wierd I know, but very, very true. Dan

Idaho
10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
That is waaayy to close for comfort. Times like that you have to wonder if there was an angel riding along with you keeping you safe.

beezer
10-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Jesus is just alright with me, jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright with me, jesus is just alright

I don't care what they may say
I don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say
Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright

I don't care what they may know
I don't care where they may go
I don't care what they may know
Jesus is just alright, oh yeah

Jesus, he's my friend; jesus, he's my friend
He took me by the hand; led me far from this land
Jesus, he's my friend

I don't care what they may say, i don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say, jesus is just alright, oh yeah

Idaho
10-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey Beez,
I did not know that you were so religious. Can you play a guitar while you sing that?

Todd
10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
??? ??? ???Beezer just left Chicago..........and he's bound for New Orleans

working from one end to the other and all points in between....... ??? ??? ???

Well, I hear Beez is good for the for the muddy water into wine part anyway......or was that the other way around??? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

http://anandamide.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/zz_top_color_3_low_res.jpg

beezer
10-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Jesus just left chicago and he's bound for new orleans.
Well now, jesus just left chicago and he's bound for new orleans.
Yeah, yeah.
Workin' from one end to the other and all points in between.

Took a jump through mississippi, well, muddy water turned to wine.
Took a jump through mississippi, muddy water turned to wine.
Yeah, yeah.
Then out to california through the forests and the pines.
Ah, take me with you, jesus.

You might not see him in person but he'll see you just the same.
You might not see him in person but he'll see you just the same.
Yeah, yeah.
You don't have to worry 'cause takin' care of business is his name.

Idaho
10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Amen, Beezer. I like your enthusiasm.

dogdoc
10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
AMEN

bobzinger
10-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I ride often with a Christian Motorcycle Fellowship. www.celebrationriders.org (http://www.celebrationriders.org)
Time and time again I've seen providence and blessings on the road. My best bud and his wife hit a deer at 50MPH on a twisty road with a 30' dropoff. The bike was toast, but he got a gouged knuckle and she only had a sprained ankle. I think an Angel watches over us all.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/bobzinger/angelbkr.jpg

socwkbiker
10-10-2007, 11:37 AM
bob, that's way more than just angels! That was an complete intervention by God!

Idaho
10-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I always ask that Angels be with me to protect me when I ride. Time and again when I go through traffic and realize that a hole appeared that I was able to go past without somebody squirting through that hole but they were obviously there wanting too, I give thanks.

Wore a tire down to the cords one time bringing the bike down from 55mph to avoid T-boning a car that pulled in front of me. Only sheer terror alowed me to keep it upright and not lay it down. The only way I missed that car was with Divine intervention of some sort. Had a state trooper go back the next day and take pix of the skid mark because my memory was too fantastic for it to be real. Still have that picture in my office because it is unbelievable to look at.

jmorrow
02-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Bump.........Thought I would bump these stories back to the top. I found them interesting then (2007) and thought the newer members would find them inspiring and enjoy them also.
I have also had mishaps that I thought I must have had an angle riding along with me to manage to get through the day, and then there have been a few days my wife and I would be going for a day ride and I just didn't feel right about it (something was telling me not to go) and we would turn around and go back home.

ringadingh
02-17-2010, 10:19 AM
That was a great read, I missed it the first time around. I guess if you spend enough time on a bike, things are going to happen. It really nice to hear about the happy outcomes.
Idaho; your story reminded me of the movie, Planes Trains & Automobiles with Steve Martin & John Candy. Ive seen it a few times and still get a big chuckle out of it.

jesse
02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Things like these happen more than we know! I missed a guy walking across the interstate, from a blind curve once. He was hobbling along with a bad leg, a gas can in one hand and a cell phone in the other. There were four of us in the truck, not one could figure out how we missed the guy.

taranis
02-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't think.. no, I'm sure I hadn't even heard of KawaNOW when those were written. Good stuff!

Cajunrider
02-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Amazing stories.....You've all seen what I shared with you about my buddy Jim. By all accounts, he was supposed to die that day in September of last year. It is evident that his work is not yet finished here on Earth. God is good!

AlabamaNomadRider
02-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Glad you bumped them back to the top. Two great stories that I enjoyed reading very much. Thanks.

glwilson
02-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Ha! Great story... not sure how I missed it the first time around.

If that had been me... it definitely would have been the HA's wanting to share the room!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Signed,

Murphy