PDA

View Full Version : Lowers for the Nomad

vulcans2
10-22-2010, 06:51 AM
I seem to remember that somewhere here, there was a post regarding availability of some aftermarket lowers for the Nomad that are larger than the stock ones. Can't find it. Can someone enlighten me? I'd love to have a bit more protection from the wind coming in from below. Thanks.

Netnorske
10-22-2010, 08:15 AM
I seem to remember that somewhere here, there was a post regarding availability of some aftermarket lowers for the Nomad that are larger than the stock ones. Can't find it. Can someone enlighten me? I'd love to have a bit more protection from the wind coming in from below. Thanks.

Chuckster (member here) makes a set....or you can also get some here.....

http://edmondslowers.homestead.com/EdmondsEnterprises.html

chuckster131
10-23-2010, 07:40 PM

I have made them for the 1700 Nomad. Give me a shout on what you have as far as stock or with a lightbar installed.

ndsailor
10-26-2010, 04:46 PM

I installed a removable Memphis Shades fairing on my 1700 Nomad, which required removal of the stock setup for the lowers. So, I also installed black Memphis Shades lowers and prefer that to the stock setup. Better wind/debris protection.

AlabamaNomadRider
10-26-2010, 06:41 PM
If you are pretty handy you could draw a pattern and make your own. I know some here have done that.

drno
10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I made my own.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/Rahlstin/P1010934-1.jpg

cajun2wheels
10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I also made lowers out of 1/16 Lexan.I know that seem to thin but Lexan is very strong and flexible.You can bend it double and it will not break.My home made lowers fill the space between the windshield and the stock lowers and stops about 90% of the head bobbling updraft.Total cost was about $5.00 but I had some scrap aluminum angle pieces to attach the lowers on hand.Easy and cheap fix.

cdneh
10-31-2010, 02:35 PM
I used the edmonds lowers and I have the Kawi light bar. The lowers fit perfectly with the indent for the engine guards and with the lights.

mattg43
11-02-2010, 09:41 AM
do bigger lowers eliminate the helmet buffeting?

vulcans2
11-02-2010, 10:18 AM
do bigger lowers eliminate the helmet buffeting?

If not, they should greatly reduce it. Most of the helmet buffetting seems to come up from below, and while the OEM lowers do work, they don't work all that well. They should, at the very least, been taller so as to fill in the gap between the top of the lower and the bottom of the windshield. It might not be so much of a problem for those of a shorter stature and position the windshield at its lowest position. However, I'm 6'2" and have a long torso, so I sit rather high, so I have the shield at it's highest position and still see over the top of it. I think a wider, taller set of lowers ought to fix the wind buffetting problem.

cdneh
11-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I have very little buffeting with the larger lowers, usually only on windy days. I have the shield at the lowest setting and look over it. I am about 5'11'. To me the ride is very smooth and I can cruise for a long time without being bothered by any helmet buffeting. I have read elsewhere that some of that depends on the type of helmet being worn.

vulcans2
11-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I have very little buffeting with the larger lowers, usually only on windy days. I have the shield at the lowest setting and look over it. I am about 5'11'. To me the ride is very smooth and I can cruise for a long time without being bothered by any helmet buffeting. I have read elsewhere that some of that depends on the type of helmet being worn.

Yeah, that's true to a certain extent, but when you can actually feel the buffeting, that's when it's annoying. I wear a flip front helmet which is, admittedly a bit noisier than a a fixed full fact helmet, it's really not that much louder. I have been communicating with Chuckster regarding the lowers, and he has been very helpful. In fact, he sent me an outline for the shape of the lowers for the 900 LT. My wife wants a set of those for her bike, but we have to wait and see if Kawasaki can deliver a set. Apparently they are having problems with their supplier.

drno
11-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Putting my lowers on eliminated most of the worst buffeting. I also put a set of engine bar chaps on (Airlite)and that really took away the lower column of air that comes up your leg by the tank and nails your head. I have very low turbulance behind the W-screen now. Increase riding enjoyability by a very large amount.

vulcans2
11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Putting my lowers on eliminated most of the worst buffeting. I also put a set of engine bar chaps on (Airlite)and that really took away the lower column of air that comes up your leg by the tank and nails your head. I have very low turbulance behind the W-screen now. Increase riding enjoyability by a very large amount.

In its stock form, the Nomad actually provides for surprisingly good protection. I actually expected a lot more "wind in the face." I think all it takes is just a bit of tweaking to get it just right. I do need to pick up a set of highway bar chaps, though. Should be getting a set of Chuckster's lowers to bolt on, soon.

Netnorske
11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I agree with DRNO on this one. It takes the combination of both larger lowers and engine guard chaps to totally eliminate the buffeting. The ride will be so much more enjoyable once you add both of those things... http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif!

vulcans2
11-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I agree with DRNO on this one. It takes the combination of both larger lowers and engine guard chaps to totally eliminate the buffeting. The ride will be so much more enjoyable once you add both of those things... http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif!

I'm looking forward to it.