PDA

View Full Version : 50 years of math

09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Fifty Years of Math 1957 - 2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58 The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

09-22-2007, 11:36 PM
This is sad but true!

basco
09-23-2007, 08:00 AM
that is the honest truth and only getting worse :'(

socwkbiker
09-23-2007, 02:07 PM
That's very true. It really sad to see the deterioration of our children's education and understanding of the world.

Todd
09-24-2007, 01:02 PM
True....and I love the story......I always hold back a few cents from the total at the fast food joints until they punch it in the register and then say "oh, I have some change" just to watch them freek out!!!

09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
too cruel...you mess w/their little minds!! lol

blowndodge
09-24-2007, 02:01 PM
As true as this all is..........it could stop overnight if we didn't "buy in" to letting our dollars flow in that direction. I do my best not to let my dollars flow in the direction of illegality. It you made a conscious effort to do the same, and i know you can't stop all the money, but be aware of were your dollars flow. Quit buyin at home depot, WalMart. Look online to see who the biggest offenders of employment and the natural drying up of dollars will do the work.

blowndodge
09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I went to a McDonald's last year on a Wednesday and the "Manager's special" was a Big Mac, fries and med drink for $2.99.

I kid you not, this is how it went:

Good afternoon sir, can I take your order?

Yes, let me look at the menu for a sec ok?

"thats fine, we have a "Managers Special" today. "big mac fries and med coke $2.99

OK, thats sounds like a good deal I'll take that.

"would you like to supersize it and get a larger size fries and coke?"

Yes I would , thanks.

"that'll be $4.76 please"

How can that be I asked?

well it's $3.99 for the big mac deal (#1 on the menu) plus 39 cents to supersize plus tax!"

But the managers special is $2.99 and your sign says, "supersize any meal for only 39 cents?

"Yes sir?? whats the problem?

Well, $2.99 plus 39 cents to super size it makes that $3.38 plus tax. how can it be $4.76?

"Well the big mac deal is $3.99 and supersize it is $4.38 plus tax is $4.76 sir!! Now she is getting really P*ssed at me.

she calls the manager over and I run the same line by him and he is confused as well!

So I tried this, "why would I order a $2.99 managers special and then supersize it and have to pay the regular price of $3.99? Why is not the supersized "manager's special" $2.99 plus 39 cents?

Manager told me, "you shouldn't have asked to have it supersized then!"

this it all true. I wrote the corporate office and never heard back.

Of course I didn't buy it.

Todd
09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
As true as this all is..........it could stop overnight if we didn't "buy in" to letting our dollars flow in that direction. I do my best not to let my dollars flow in the direction of illegality. It you made a conscious effort to do the same, and i know you can't stop all the money, but be aware of were your dollars flow. Quit buyin at home depot, WalMart. Look online to see who the biggest offenders of employment and the natural drying up of dollars will do the work.

???QUE ???

<marquee>El Mega Lo Mart</marquee>

blowndodge
09-24-2007, 02:29 PM
usted sabe lo que dije

Todd
09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
usted sabe lo que dije

<marquee>.... y era tan verdadero</marquee>

I tell my kids all the time that I dont want to stop by ElDonald's to eat, just for that reason......

09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
no bueno!

09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
huh??

translation of last few replies please?

i am mexican-illiterate!

blowndodge
09-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Translation: "Nico is having an affair with Ponch".

09-24-2007, 08:06 PM
NO WAY JOSE!!!!!!

socwkbiker
09-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Remember, you heard it hear first!

socwkbiker
09-24-2007, 08:59 PM
These situations occur because too many politicians are listening to ignorant, lazy constituents and not pushing for higher educational standards.

Where the hell did that come from?