PDA

View Full Version : vulcan 1700 owners...very interesting

flatop
10-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I called Thunder Manufacturing today to order an air kit, power commander,and left side cover for my Voyager 1700. I called to talk to them because there are no maps available on the web site for 1700s...none.

I was told that's because you don't need one. The 1700s have active O2 sensers in both header pipes that constantly alter the fuel map and the bike can compensate all by itself. Dave said he has had several on the dyno after air kit mods and all is well.

The price of horsepower just went down for a change.

Sin City Stan
10-12-2010, 08:22 PM
So a power commander is not necessary??

Sin City Stan
10-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Follow up. I just checked the manual and it does show an O2 sensor. However, it says "if equipped". If there's one on my bike it's hidden pretty well.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about EU Nomads having an O2 sensor.

glwilson
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
I am waiting Stan to hear his answer about the power-commander.

If what he says is true, then why the PC? I'm with you... not sure this is ligit... just saying.

flatop
10-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Clarification- ONLY California models have O2 sensors.All others do not. Power commander ordered yesterday. This from Dave at Thunder Manufacturing. The models Kaw gave him for testing were California models.

Sin City Stan
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Clarification- ONLY California models have O2 sensors.All others do not. Power commander ordered yesterday. This from Dave at Thunder Manufacturing. The models Kaw gave him for testing were California models.

So the California models do not need a Power Commander???

blowndodge
10-18-2010, 06:06 PM
This doesn't sound right..... 02 sensors indicate a closed looped system. Kawasaki wouldn't just put that on Kawasakis shipped to California...

Sin City Stan
10-18-2010, 06:59 PM
This doesn't sound right..... 02 sensors indicate a closed looped system. Kawasaki wouldn't just put that on Kawasakis shipped to California...

They must put O2 sensors on some bikes. They're shown in the service manual with a caption that says "if equipped". It kinds of makes sense that they would have to do it for CA bikes with the higher emission standards.

I have seen after-market fuel controllers that include an O2 sensor. It was about $450. Just don't remember whose website I saw it on. When the time comes I intend to track it down and learn more about it.

tombstone
10-18-2010, 09:28 PM
I don't know what an o2 sensor looks like, but I did some mods on my bike

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=19002

and (if my "poor man's dyno" is to be believed) I gained power and possibly gained mileage as well. The power I'm certain of but the mpg I need to run a few more tanks to be sure.

mods;
Cobra FI2000
Removed peashooters from exhaust.

My take is the output can be improved.

drno
10-20-2010, 12:51 PM
O2 sensors are on EU and Aus bikes and apparently California bikes. The rest of the US and Canada dont seem to have them.