PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Her

usranger74
08-16-2010, 11:22 PM
This is a club I did not want to join.

I was going down a very narrow road in the NE Sandhills. The pavement ran out - I came to a full stop and I tried making a very tight U turn at very slow speed. I am not sure what happen but I dropped her.

This is what I think happen. I stalled it and she lurch froward and over.

I was very, very alone. Had not see anyone on the road and road was very remote. So no help around and it's not coming.

But, txs to this site and having read how to upright her, I did. She was on her kick stand side and on pavement. I made sure she was in gear, put my right hip under the seat and using both legs I pushed up very slow to the point I could reach down and pull the kick stand out. I then lowered here back on the kick stand.

No damage except to my ego.

Thanks to all of you who have given advise on how to right a Nomad.

cactusjack
08-16-2010, 11:28 PM
If you hadn't brought it up, nobody else would have known. ::) If a tree falls in the forest....

Kawhead
08-17-2010, 12:45 AM
I hate it, but we all drop 'em or fixin' to.

ken
08-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Yep, it happens to all of us at one time or another. I learned my lesson from that CD by the ex-motor cop and when it happened, I was able to handle the lifting. It is nice to know we can deal with these problems...now if it were a mechanical problem....I'd still be stuck in the forest. Hope no damage to the bike. Greetings from rainy Frankfurt. ken

Cajunrider
08-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Welcome to the club......

ringadingh
08-17-2010, 04:35 AM
No damage is always real nice, thats at least affordable.

moloprintz
08-17-2010, 08:38 AM
There are only two kinds of riders in this world.
Those that have and those that will.

macmac
08-17-2010, 08:56 AM
With my 06 1600 I am at the will state. I did it with my 01 1500 though.

So far rather than drop a bike i tend to crash, much more macho.

I think my last crash was the best though and i don't think it can be duplicated by me or anyone else.

I mean to crash into another vehical and be able to get off the bike and still not have the bike fall over.

waterman
08-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Bill,

Welcome to the club. At least it is just your ego that has been offended.

Sin City Stan
08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Anyone who has not done it is on borrowed time.

sonny
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
If you ain't droped one at least once you either have not been riding long enough or your not riding enough. Welcome to the club of bumped egos.
Thanks for your time

jandijkgraaf
08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Where did I hear this story before...LOL.
I had a similar situation not so long ago..trapped on the roadside waiting for rescue.
At slow speed the Nomad is a dangerous beast.
Glad you did'nt have any damage.
And as others here said..welcome to the club.

AlabamaNomadRider
08-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I have dropped all of my bikes at least once each including the Nomad.

dougster
08-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Ranger, I have done this MORE than once doing the same maneuver. Generally because I did not give enough throttle and clutch friction, and used my front brake.

skeeter
08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I practice dropping mine in the parking lot late at night when no one is around. When I do it in front of people, I do it with style and grace.

pastorgumby
08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I dropped mine on the engine guard at a gas station; after pumping I thought the kickstand was already lowered but it wasn't! I'm glad you're OK, but i sympathize with you as a fellow recent dropper! Peace.

phred
08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Been there, done that. Like you, the only thing damaged was my ego, cause of course I had to drop mine in the parking lot of the Highway Patrol office while practicing tight, slow speed turns in the testing area.

cheriann
08-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Oh boy, I have done that with my 900 AND the Nomad!

I remember the time I was sitting on the Nomad in the garage, trying to back it out..my foot slipped and the Nomad fell over onto my 900!!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif I couldn't lift it up the way it was situated against my bike.... :-[

I called hubby at work and let him know....boy, he left work early and was home in RECORD time!!!! ;)

sarge1057
08-18-2010, 06:48 AM
The real bruised ego happens when you drop your bike in font of hundreds of HD riders in the Buffalo Chip's parking lot like I did Last Year.I wasn't even moving foot slipped in the gravel and down I went. http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

jandijkgraaf
08-18-2010, 07:07 AM
I dropped mine on the engine guard at a gas station; after pumping I thought the kickstand was already lowered but it wasn't! I'm glad you're OK, but i sympathize with you as a fellow recent dropper! Peace.

Hmmmm..and how do you pump the tires without the kickstand?
Does'nt sound logical at all.
Tricky comment..to say the least.

macmac
08-18-2010, 09:43 AM
The worst drop I ever saw, didn't include me thankfully.

Laconia Bike Week 2002
Harts Turkey Restaraunt parking lot, with lines of bikes, in rows.

I was passing by and saw a guy get off and drop his bike and take down a whole bloomin row of bikers like dominoes.. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

I bet that guy had a real bad days after that stunt.

That parking lot is about a 9% grade too.

rickb6959
08-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Sorry to here you dropped your bike. Glad you and the bike are OK.