PDA

View Full Version : checking tread depth

upside22
08-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok folks. I picked up a tread depth gauge. I have original style Bridgestones front and rear. Do I check the depth of the tread in the center groove that runs the circumference of the tire or in one of the offset grooves?

The center groove is getting pretty shallow on both front and rear and I only have about 7000 miles on each.

Cajunrider
08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
A tire is like a chain. It's only as good as it's weakest link. If it's worn out in the center, it's time to replace it. My rear Avon Cobra lasted 6,000 miles because the center was worn slick. The rest of the tire was practically new. After researching for months, that's what justified the CT for me.

MAS Tequila
08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Throw the tread gauge away and change those tires.

I just put a new tire on the front of my bike this afternoon and what a difference.

The old one still wasn't down to the wear bars, but almost.

I'll guarantee you forgot how smooth it can be.

MT

recumbentbob
08-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Check it in the middle.

Sounds like you need a new tire............ :)

trosco
08-14-2010, 11:11 AM
If you stop doing burnouts ::) your tires won't wear out in the middle! Especially the front one!

metalman
08-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I was very disappointed with how quickly my rear tire wore out on the Nomad. Even the front tire didn't last very long. I'm an old fart, so I don't do burn-outs, and I don't brake hard. I can get 15,000 miles or more on the front and rear tires on my Gold Wings and those bikes are just as heavy as the Nomad. I solved the problem by using a car tire on the back and a rear tire on the front.

macmac
08-14-2010, 02:20 PM
The bricks on these bikes are total junk. The only thing they do well is whine and wear out.

Probably cobras are best tires for handling, but will wear out.

Next is probably Dunlop E III's lesser on handling. Longest tire life.

Next might be the Dunlop 251 radial, which I have and it has 9,000 miles on front and still very legal.

Until Mezt builds in Germany again they are out, Perelli is a another name for Metz so they are as out.

I hear good things on Michlin, but haven't had any ever on bikes.

And yeah center line or as close as you can get. Not only that but you take measuerments in a few places not just one. maybe 6 to 8 places and average the readings.

MC tires tend to fail with in the last 10% of legal tread. This set up is a real tuff bird to do on the road side too. I sure wouldn't want to try that.