PDA

View Full Version : Vegas to Denver

phot
08-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Just returned home to the UK after my ride from Vegas to Denver with my wife pillion. Picked up the rental Harley Electroglide from Eagle Rider late in the day and did a short hop to Mesquite. The temperatures were unusually high at 114 F and we soon decided to buy hydration vests to help cope with the heat (good move). We then headed for Hurricane and the 9 (Zion), 89, 12 Bryce and Escalante, the 95 south 191/163 to Mexican Hat and on to Monument Valley. Then we headed north to Arches, back south to Monticello and east to Colorado (where the landscape suddenly became green) and Cortez (Mesa Verde) then Durango. The 550 to Montrose, 50 to Black Canyon and Gunnison, the 92 and 133 to Glenwood, and then the 82 to Aspen, 24 to Leadville and the I 70. South thru Breckenridge, Fairplay, and Buena Vista. The 285 towards Denver and turning north to Evergreen. With time running out we managed to ride a few pretty roads around Nederland, Boulder, Golden and Morrison before making our way to the Eagle Rider shop in downtown Denver to return the bike. Well over 2000 miles and some fantastic scenery made for a great ride. The bike ran well and we had no bad experiences over the two weeks. The route was planned after some great input from forum members with knowledge of the areas, a big thank you to all who gave advice. Its now time to plan the next vacation/ride in the USA, where to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, any suggestions?

cactusjack
08-03-2010, 09:26 AM
That sounds like one heck of a ride. Now you know the kind of heat we have to live with in the SW USA. I'm glad you had a good time in the most scenic region of our country!

audiogooroo
08-03-2010, 09:48 AM
That is the trip of a lifetime! Some of my favorite roads in there. Good for you!

AlabamaNomadRider
08-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Glad you guys had a safe and enjoyable vacation and ride through some beautiful country.

usranger74
08-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a very nice trip.

Next time try the Blue Ride Park Way and Skyline Dive. Both are US Nat Parks and they run together at Rockfish Gap, VA. Together you can ride 600 miles of paved road without seeing a stop sign or traffic light. There are Lodges and campground and gas stations about every 60 miles or so thus no need to get off the Parkway or Drive (but many very nice side trips if you want to). Speed limit is 45 MPH. The rout follows the spine on the Blue Ride Mountains. This has to be one of the best 600 mile ride in USA.

If you give it a go and let me know I will ride with you.

ringadingh
08-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip! Next time you should try riding in Canada, theres some of the best scenery on the planet here.
Im sure you wouldn'r regret it at all.