PDA

View Full Version : flashing brake lights

duneseven
07-31-2010, 11:32 PM
I installed a new trunk it has built in brake ,tail and clearance lights. I like the lights but the tail/ brake lights are led's and the brakes flash when applied. I think it attracts attention but is it legal? I still have the stock brake, tail assembly in use .

cactusjack
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Are the brake lights SUPPOSED to flash? I mean, is this a problem or a feature of the trunk? What brand of trunk is it?

Yes, it's legal as long as they don't constantly flash. For instance, on my buddy's Goldwing the brake lights flash a few times when the brakes are first applied then they glow steady.

duneseven
08-01-2010, 08:25 AM
they constantly flash as far as Iknow The trunk is a harley trunk,the flashing is a feature of the led bulbs they have two filaments or in this case diods one is a low steady tail light. When the brake is applied they obviously brighten and then begin to flash

08-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Was on a ride yesterday and behind a bike with the flashing break light. The stock breaklight came on and stayed on and the add on flashing break lights came on at the same time and flashed on left side then right side. really got my attention. I, think thay are a good thing. do not know if thay are leagle here in Minnesota. The owner of bike said she got the bike in Texas and that the flashing break lights were on the bike when she got it. Also said that she got alot of good comments about them being more visible than just a break light.

phred
08-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure about the legality, but I've considered adding flashing brake lights to mine. They definately get your attention.

dkdixie
08-01-2010, 09:17 AM
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=17092

Check out the link. A lot of us are running this light.

usranger74
08-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I installed this = tailBlazer

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=3

I have been told that it does draw attention.

AlabamaNomadRider
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Anything that gets more attention from the people behind you is a good thing. I wouldn't think it is illegal but you never know. Might want to check with some law enforcement people. They should be able to help you out.

duneseven
08-01-2010, 11:47 AM
thanks for the help everyone I think I will just leave it in ,if it's illegal hopefully the police have more pressing issue's

skiman
08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
This website says there's is legal in 50 states with CA having to be different of course. They don't give a reference for there legal claim.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/backoff-wig-wag-brake-light-flasher-double-brake-lights-p-14.html

wiz
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
The Kuryakyn Triple Whammy kit is nice, since you get the rear turn signals converted to also be running lights and brake lights and all three rear lights flash three times then stay on as brake lights. The new chrome bezels and red lenses look much cooler than the stock big yellow plastic lenses.

rickyboy
08-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I have a run/turn/brake set up from Custom Dynamics. I have the option to make my brake lights flash a few times or not, when the brakes are applied. It's just a lead that plugs into the...... equalizer????..... Can't recall what the piece is called. It breaks the connection much like a turn signal I'm guessing. I'm not electrician though. It's all installed under the seat. I wish I had a similar set up for the car and truck. It really gets the attention of the people behind you.
But illegal??? Not up here where I live. Constant rear brake lights flashing would almost constitute "emergency flashers wouldn't it ???

macmac
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Yeah I don't think I would constant flashing. I have the back off that flashes 3 times and stays steady, hooked into 3 run brake lamps. I like triangles of light, because I believe they will help others determine distances better.

flightdoc
08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I've had the "liteblazer" for a couple of years now. Very inconspicuous but very bright. They flash a few times before going steady red.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/lite-blazer

vin

ringadingh
08-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Beezer has a flashing tailight and it makes a difference in catching your eye when you follow him. I followed him a few times this weekend and it does make a difference.

Loafer
08-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I was behind Beezer as well. I thought Parkinson's was setting in. I just kidding. They were very noticeable.

duneseven
08-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Crap thanks a whole bunch ,now I have to go to the doc . Maybe it;s not the lights flashing, damn! age sucks

mobandy78
08-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I know different states have different laws regarding lights... here in Oklahoma, I'm not completely sure what our laws are, but I have a set of "night riderz" LED lights on the rear of my bags. The LED's scroll back & forth during "running light mode", then when the brakes are applied they flash 5 times before going solid.

I have had several law enforcement vehicles behind me and have had no problems... have even had several compliments on how noticeable they make my bike. I would highly suggest them to anyone. I got them from Custom Dynamics.

boomerang2120
08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I've got the "RearAlert" modulator - flashes 6-7 times then stays on steady until you release/reapply the brakes. Works great - easy install - and I've been told by people following me very effective at getting their attention.

Sin City Stan
08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I put additional LED brake lights on and connected all brake lights to a Back Off flasher. Four quick flashes, then about 4 seconds steady on, then repeats until you let go of the brake.

Had a motorcycle LEO compliment the set up when he pulled up beside me at a red light. So I would have to think it's legal in Nevada.

xncrman
08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I seen the brake lights on several bikes when at South East Rally and instantly wanted. Although I haven't gotten around to buying yet I did find this link also for Hyperlites. Good Luck!

http://www.hyperlites.com/moddf.html

Loafer
08-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I seen the brake lights on several bikes when at South East Rally and instantly wanted. Although I haven't gotten around to buying yet I did find this link also for Hyperlites. Good Luck!

http://www.hyperlites.com/moddf.html

I'm liking these, thanks for the link

BadBoy
03-30-2017, 06:27 PM
The link below no longer exists

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=17092

Check out the link. A lot of us are running this light.

cactusjack
03-31-2017, 04:23 PM
The link below no longer exists

Not surprising, since this thread is 7 years old.

hckeynut15
06-05-2017, 08:11 AM
I work in the automotive field. There are some photometric values that must be met regarding FMVSS108. Typically, your brake light must overpower your tail light by a certain percentage. Otherwise, trailing traffic might not be able to tell you've hit the brakes. Outside of that, flashing typically does not violate any FMVSS108 rules especially if you "added" the trunk light. As long as your added brake light is in the red color (not blue, green, yellow, etc...). Your original brake light, if still installed, will satisfy the FMVSS108 requirement all by itself. Does the flashing stop? I've seen some lighting that flashes initially but that's only for about 2 seconds and then goes to solid brake light. This is intended to get the attention of following drivers that you're stopping. I can not speak to any individual state laws about lighting however, FMVSS is the "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard". It's federal. Canada has it's own CMVSS but follows FMVSS very closely. Check your local laws for verification but from what you've described, I wouldn't think you've violated any FMVSS rules.

Hope that helps.