PDA

View Full Version : Made a tough choice

phenrichs
07-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Well 3 kids later and a depressing spring watching my Nomad sit and collect dust I have decided to sell her.
Since my wife and I had our first child 4 years ago I have watched my riding time decrease each year. Not counting Custer last year (which still turned out to be reduced riding time) I only got out maybe three times. This year I have only been out once so far. Naturally I am not counting riding to work since that is only 5 miles through town. I have never enjoyed riding in town.

I have decided that it just doesn't make sense to continue paying for a bike and watch it sit and collect dust in the garage when I could put it toward other things. I figure if I sell the bike I can take the money and trade in the car on a new truck which I will get more use from. When the kids get older I am sure I can find more time and will go shopping for another bike.

I won't be a stranger. And if y'all know anyone in the market for a n 06 Nomad send em my way.

Cajunrider
07-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Hate to hear that you are selling OP but, a man has to set his priorities. My son's 900 LT Classic is sitting in his shed collecting dust while he's paying the monthly note. He hasn't ridden it in months but won't advertise it being for sale. I don't understand it but that's the way it is. Take care and don't be a stranger. Look forward to seeing you again.

Mitch

cactusjack
07-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Paul, I am real sorry to hear this. I'm sure it was a difficult choice to make. We have 3 sons and I didn't take up riding again until 3 years ago, when the youngest was 17. I wouldn't have had the time to ride when the kids were younger either.

poppy
07-11-2010, 04:45 PM
It is unfortunate indeed, having to sell. But families come first.......

bobhamlin
07-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Paul,

You are the one who told me about this site-- I bought something from you over eBay when I first got the Nomad (luggage rack?).

I gave up riding after the birth of my oldest and got back into it when the youngest finally left. Priorities change.

Considered a 49cc scooter for your trip through town? ;)

Good luck.

waterman
07-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Well understood Paul. Family has its priority.

oldbikers
07-11-2010, 04:54 PM
OP I hate to hear this but I think most of us here have done the same thing at one time I know I have but don't be a stranger I am sure everyone would love to hear from you.

flavor
07-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Paul I had a couple of yrs downtime from motorcycles due to family responsibilities as well. Life is a cycle as you know and you'll get one again I would think.

Why couldn't we have all been born rich instead of good looking. ::)

cactusjack
07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Paul I had a couple of yrs downtime from motorcycles due to family responsibilities as well. Life is a cycle as you know and you'll get one again I would think.

Why couldn't we have all been born rich instead of good looking. ::)

Speak for yourself...some of us were born with both! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

trip
07-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I certainly understand OP. Whatever you do, don't be a stranger. Maybe someday you'll get a another Nomad.

landman
07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
that was a tough decision but you made the right one.

redjay
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I quit riding for about 10 years when I got married and started a family. The bug never goes away and if you get the chance you will get another bike sometime down the road.

macmac
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Geeze, my x sure gets around.

I was able to get back to riding after a decade break in 99. My kid is 29, soon to be 30 if he lives that long.

He has been at camp playing with real big guns and throw'n explosives. It appears he is learning a new way to start fire. Some new tool I guess, Ara Bic. I just have the old BIC, and when it's no good I use 2 sticks.

He says he eats good.

Yellow Jacket
07-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Best of luck to you Paul. Family is the top priority and kids are only kids for a short while. They grow up way to fast it seems.

Idaho
07-11-2010, 08:12 PM
OP, lots of us go through the family years sans a motorcycle. I myself was without for 30 years until my wife bought me a new Volusia 9 years ago. Since then I've put on 75,000 miles. there is life after kids.

ringadingh
07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I too had to give up my bike after the kids came along, it took about 19 years before I got back into it. I actually enjoy it a lot more now than I ever did years ago.
Hopefully youll be back on one again in the future.

Netnorske
07-11-2010, 08:33 PM
OP,
That sucks...but like everyone has said.....family comes first and there will always be time later for another bike. Like most here...I went about 20 years between bikes, but the open road will never be far from your heart and mind. Best wishes and check in once in awhile!

usranger74
07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Paul

Important decisions are never easy. Family first - always. Take care of them and you will never regret it.

chainsaw
07-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Good luck my friend. You'll be back. After all, who will teach your kids to ride?

AlabamaNomadRider
07-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Paul I sure hate to hear that you have decided to sell your Nomad. They are great bikes and you will miss it. I understand with you not getting to ride much and all. Family is the most important. Children grow up and then they have their own life.

I have ridden on and off for about 50 years now. First bike I owned was actually a scooter that looked like a Vespa when I was 14 or 15 that my Dad bought me. Bought a new '73 Honda 360T kept it for a couple of years. Bought a new 1981 Honda 650 rode it until 1983 and then traded it for a new Goldwing put 30,000 miles on it. Sold it and didn't own another bike until 2008 when I purchased a new 2007 Honda VTX1300R. Rode it for a year and then purchased the 2008 Nomad in 2009. I have actually been without a bike more years than I have owned one. The love for a bike is always with you though. I don't plan on selling the Nomad as there is no reason I should.

You did the right thing and a time will come when you will be back in the saddle again. Good luck and keep us posted on what goes on with you and the family.

voyager
07-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Paul,

No worries, when Deb and I were first married I owned a CB1000 that we rode together for years until we started having a family. Then, like you've figured out, priorities take over and you have to make tough choices. I had to sell the bike and I never took it up again until my youngest was 17. Your time will come again.

duneseven
07-11-2010, 10:33 PM
sounds like you have your prioprity's in order I know it was not an easy choice but sounds like the right choice. You will ride again enjoy the family till then

upside22
07-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Yep, I agree. You made a good choice. Like others have noted, kids grow up *way* too fast. It's way too important to spend all the time you can with them. Show them what honesty, integrity, and responsibility is early on and it will serve them well when they hit those teenage years. The only way to do that is to spend time *with* them, not just acting as a chauffer driving them to the next soccer game. You can't do this while you are off riding on the weekend.

I sold off my last motorcycle about 28 years ago. I spent almost 16 of those years as a Boy Scout leader so I could spend time with my two sons out in the woods. Talk about quality time!

I just got this 2007 in March. Like someone else said, *man it is sweet*! At 59 1/2 my reaction time isn't what it used to be and my knees get really stiff after 150miles but I can still hobble enough to gas up for the next 150! I still love it.

Enjoy the kids! Don't sour it by wishing you still had a bike. You *can* have another one later. Your kids are the future not a motorcycle.

nomad561
07-12-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you are selling your bike,but I don't understand why. My 9 yo daughter has been riding since she was 3 and my 14 yo has been on the back since she was 6.There can be family life with motorcycles.They love getting on the bikes and riding all day. It is just as much fun for them as it is for us and I enjoy seeing how much fun they have riding.
The decision is yours,but I would try to integrate both. Riding every once in awhile is better than not riding at all.

bobhamlin
07-12-2010, 07:50 AM
but the open road will never be far from your heart and mind.
The first warm days of spring will be the worst. You will be riding down the road in your cage and some bikes will travel by in the opposite direction. That feeling you will experience every year until your next bike is like lost love.

But hey! It's only about 18 years or so. That gives you time to silver your hair properly.

phenrichs
07-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you are selling your bike,but I don't understand why. My 9 yo daughter has been riding since she was 3 and my 14 yo has been on the back since she was 6.There can be family life with motorcycles.They love getting on the bikes and riding all day. It is just as much fun for them as it is for us and I enjoy seeing how much fun they have riding.
The decision is yours,but I would try to integrate both. Riding every once in awhile is better than not riding at all.

Your story is exactly what I imagined when my wife told me she was pregnant with our first child. However she refuses even the idea of riding her own and now has even decided she doesn't like riding passenger either so I am solo.

I know I will miss it terribly and will kick myself many times each spring until I have a new one. But on the up side I get to replace it with a nice big shiny truck.

schoeney
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
You are making the right decision. Maybe a trailer full of quads is in your future?

My brother in law has 3 kids and they load up the quads and go camping for the weekend.

Either way we will see you back on a Nomad in let's say 15-20 years. Enjoy your kids...these years will pass faster than you think.

phenrichs
07-12-2010, 09:33 AM
15-20? that sounds like prison time. I was thinking 10 tops. But who knows.

nomad561
07-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Tough decision,but I'm sure it will be the best for you and your family.In a couple of years you might want the Nomad so you can have some quiet time with the wind in your face though.

blowndodge
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Been there done that OP. I remember selling my 1978 suzuki 1000E and raised a family. I swore someday I'd be back. That Suk was a bitchen ride. Great seat mag style wheels (rare for a bike of that era) Smoke the rear tire at will. Rode it all over the West Coast. But family comes first.

I didn't ride again in the street until I bought my 06 Nomad... I hope someday you come home like it looks like lots of us did. Take care.

sneedvegas
07-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I went through this decision after we had #4 four months ago. My wife, although she won't really ride while we have little ones, didn't want me to sell my C50, so I traded for a Nomad. Now the oldest two have more room to ride with me. Its a tough decision, but each of us have special circumstances that affect it. Now my wife follows me in the van on long trips. We are on vacation now and I was glad to have the cage to run into town for lunch during a hard downpour. Man, enjoy the truck... but more importantly enjoy the kids. Your willingness to give up something you love for those kids speaks highly of you as a father.

Kawhead
07-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Good decision OP! You'll find out how time flies. We'll be here waiting. See ya in 15 to 20! http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif

cactusjack
07-13-2010, 09:44 AM
OP, nobody will fault you for making a decision like that. As you can see, most of us made the same decision at some point. I just happen to be on the other side of the bell curve now.

skeeter
07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Geeze, my x sure gets around.

I was able to get back to riding after a decade break in 99. My kid is 29, soon to be 30 if he lives that long.

He has been at camp playing with real big guns and throw'n explosives. It appears he is learning a new way to start fire. Some new tool I guess, Ara Bic. I just have the old BIC, and when it's no good I use 2 sticks.

He says he eats good.

http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

bokobob
07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes, it is tough to give up riding, but on the other hand, you've only been out a few times in two seasons, now, so it is obvious you just don't have the time..

I rode as a teenager and then we got married, had four young'uns and I only got back into biking at age 72, two years ago...now I go whenever it's a nice day..