PDA

View Full Version : Arizona - New Mexico - Texas

tombstone
06-29-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm going to ride from Utah to Texas next week, my planned route is;
Arizona, south on 191 to just south of Clifton, then east on 78 into New Mexico hook up with 380 across NM.

My question is.. What should I plan on stopping and seeing? So far on my list is;
in Az. the famous 191 road
in NM. the VLA, the aliens in Roswell http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif , and....what else can you recommend? I need to get to Wichita Falls Tx in 4 or 5 days but can take 6 if necessary.

On the way home I want to ride as much of Route 66 as I can before I need to go north and head for the barn.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice!
Ken

cactusjack
06-29-2010, 08:17 PM
You'll go through Morenci, on 191. It's maybe 6 miles north of Clifton. The highway passes right through one of the largest open pit copper mines in the world. Not as big as Kennecott, but it's plenty big.

191 also goes over 3 high mountain passes, the tallest is 9100', if I remember right. It's a great ride, but it is twisty and will take probably 3 hours to cover 90 miles in the mountainous part. It's known as the "Coronado Trail". I rode it last summer, and I'm riding it again next month with some guys I work with.

Jared
07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I sure wish I could go with ya Ken! I rode a similar route out to Texas last summer.

If you plan on seeing anything in Roswell, you need to be there before 5pm. Everything closes? Kinda strange seeing as it's a UFO town.....? Brynne and I made that mistake last year and we were barely able to see anything. :(

Jared
I sure wish I could go with ya Ken! I rode a similar route out to Texas last summer.

If you plan on seeing anything in Roswell, you need to be there before 5pm. Everything closes? Kinda strange seeing as it's a UFO town.....? Brynne and I made that mistake last year and we were barely able to see anything. :(

Jared

tombstone
07-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks CJ and Jared. The trip is kind-of iffy right now due to the weather happening from hurricane Alex. Lot of rain and wind down there. If I don't go south I'll probably go north up over Bear Tooth Pass.....or something like that.

cactusjack
07-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Wind? Rain? That's news to me.

Jared
07-02-2010, 07:34 PM
You think the rain is stopping him?

Come on....Beartooth Pass VS Texas. Sounds like an easy choice!

tombstone
07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Wind? Rain? That's news to me.

Roswell Weather
Nearest weather station: Roswell, United StatesPut weather on your website
(About RSS - RSS Help) Weather >United States >New Mexico >Roswell
F° | C° Yahoo! weather Search
Enter city or zip code:
Search

Severe Weather Alert» Read More
Current conditions as of 5:51 PM MDT

Partly Cloudy
Feels Like:81 °F
Barometer:29.96 in and falling
Humidity:66 %
Visibility:10 mi
Dewpoint:67 °F
Wind:SSE 10 mph
Sunrise:5:52 AM
Sunset:8:11 PM
79°High: 78° Low: 66°

» Detailed Forecast
» Records and Averages
» Get Yahoo! Weather on your desktop
Today Tomorrow Sun Mon Tue 6-10 Day

Scattered T-storms
Scattered T-storms
Scattered T-storms
Isolated T-storms
Isolated T-storms Extended Forecast
High: 78°
Low: 66° High: 79°
Low: 67° High: 90°
Low: 66° High: 95°
Low: 66° High: 87°
Low: 65°

Wichita Falls Weather
Nearest weather station: Wichita Falls, United StatesPut weather on your website
(About RSS - RSS Help) Weather >United States >Texas >Wichita Falls
F° | C° Yahoo! weather Search
Enter city or zip code:
Search

Current conditions as of 7:25 PM CDT

Light Rain
Feels Like:84 °F
Barometer:29.96 in and steady
Humidity:90 %
Visibility:10 mi
Dewpoint:75 °F
Wind:SE 12 mph