PDA

View Full Version : Steerin head wobble

sailor
08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok all you wizards out there, i have the following I could use some input on. i have an '07 Nomad...Trouble is after about every 2-3k miles I develop a loose steering head. Develope wobble in turns. Not sure if it is realted to weight, etc. Seems more prominant after I've taken extended road trips.
I could use some advise on how to solve for this little dilema...any ideas?

Sailor

08-21-2007, 04:03 PM
So are you saying that at 2k miles you have to re-tighten your steering head? If thats the case you do have an issue. I would talk with your dealer about it and see if they can work some thing out for you. Dont be afriad to use your warranty thats what it's their for... http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

blowndodge
08-21-2007, 05:37 PM
are you sure it's the steering head?? Are you doing the tightening? With your bike suspended from the bottom ie:on a motorcycle jack and completely off the ground your steering head bearings should be tightened so the when you nudge the handlebars in either direction they barely and I mean barely fall to either side under their own weight. Frankly I prefer mine a tincy bit tighter but thats me.

If ther is a locking washer, are you snugging it up against the part that touches the bearings? It should never work loose.

Are you sure the wobble is from loose steering head? re: bearings?

ponch
08-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Low tire pressures will make it wobble too.

Ok all you wizards out there, i have the following I could use some input on. i have an '07 Nomad...Trouble is after about every 2-3k miles I develop a loose steering head. Develope wobble in turns. Not sure if it is realted to weight, etc. Seems more prominant after I've taken extended road trips.
I could use some advise on how to solve for this little dilema...any ideas?

Sailor

spork
08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
As will tire balancing. And many other things.

I actually flipped my Classic at about 60 mph from a front end wobble. Totaled the bike and left me hurt. GET IT CHECKED!!!!!!

Ended up in a full lock-to-lock slapper with dents in both sides of the gas tank as proof.