PDA

View Full Version : Windshield lowers

Idaho
08-20-2007, 10:10 PM
The stock lowers on the 1600 are WAY TOO small and I'm tired of my head getting knocked around. Gadgets Fixit page lists several types of lowers so I thought that I would ask to see who has tried them. I already found where a couple of guys tried Edmonds and like them but I don't like the notch for the crash bar.

The ones by Vernon Appenzeller look promising but I wonder if they come close enough to the windshield to block the airstream. If anyone has a pair of these I would like to hear from them.

The other option is to make my own. I have experience with that on a Suzuki Volusia that I owned where I had to make brackets and plexiglass deflectors. This project would require a slight extra bend in the existing Kaw brackets to match the plane of the lowers to the plane of the windscreen, and cutting and sanding on Lexan panels. May go that way if my machine shop can help with the extra bend.

Sorry about rambling. Anyone have info on Vern's lowers?

IDaho

jmorrow
08-21-2007, 03:29 AM
idnomad, I bought the Edmonds large lowers in 2004 for my Nomad. They do a terrific job of putting a stop to the head buffeting, I agree they are not the best looking piece of equipment a person can put on their Nomad, but I didn't like getting my head rattled by the wind. I wear prescription glasses and the head buffeting was nearly twice as bad (blurred vision). I saw on this forum (I think) where someone had cut his lowers out of polished aluminum and I thought they really looked sharp, but they still had the notch in them. The notch has to be there for crash bar clearance when the handle bars are turned. The large lowers has saved me from getting hit with debrea from the highways a few time also.......

Idaho
08-21-2007, 06:43 AM
JIm,

I can appreciate that those huge lowers will deflect a lot of wind. One thing that I'm concerned about with the Edmonds is that the lowers and windshield are not on the same slant relative to each other on the 07 Nomad. This means that thetop of the lexan on Edmonds design would have to be curved to meet up with the bottom of windshield. Maybe I will send him an email, could always shave them down to get rid of the notch for the crash bars. I just want a clean look.
Thanks,
IDaho

blowndodge
08-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Idnomad. I've had the Edmonds lowers (largest size, they come in sizes) with the notch and the line up you mention is close enough that no wind gets between the lower and the fairing. Without a doubt I would never take a trip with these lowers. It is so calm behind my fairing I ride with my shield up almost the entire time and thats at 80 plus.

Understant the "I want a clean look". VV and Nico saw my lowers last weekend and they didn't seem to comment that they look like an "eyesore". Drinking will do that however!

08-21-2007, 10:30 AM
I do have the larger lowers but they have the cutout for the crash bar that you dont like... Mine are different that they allow air to go between my lower windshield and the top of the lowers so i still get some good air in to cool down..I got them from some guy from e-bay about a year or more ago and love them. All my nomad buddy;'s comment on how well they work to block wind off your lower legs, etc.

Todd
08-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I have the ones on the first bike on the following page

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/motorcycle/moto_nomad2.htm

Jack's bike......I emailed through the link at the bottom of the page and he sent the pattern to me and was happy to share..this was in July/August 2006. He also has some instructions if I recall on his site to make them.

They do have the cutouts for the engine guards but maybe you will change your mind or someone else that reads this will be able to use the information

I bought the material at Home Depot...cut the pattern on a bandsaw.....fine sanded the edges on a table sander and drilled the holes on a drill press. Took about 45 minutes from the piece of stock plastic to mounted on the bike and I LOVE THEM. plus, I have less than $45 bucks in the whole thing. No one can beleive these are "homemade"

Oh, I have an '06 1600 and they work fine.

08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I used the same pattern as Todd. I went to a local glass shop and they cut them out of Lexan for me. One of the members in my riding group polished them up for me. I would have cut them myself but I couldn't find the plastic from Lowe's or Home Depot at the time. I, like Todd have less than $45 in them and boy what a difference they make.

Idaho
08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
You all are great for answering my email. I decided to try to make a set today after work, after all Kawasaki already provides the brackets, hell, all we have to do is create a deflector. Grabbed my jig saw and a piece of 1/4 inch plywood. 30 minutes later I'm cruzin down the interstate at 85 enjoying my ride with no head buffeting. Yeah. No, I don't intend to keep the plywood. I did transfer the pattern to heavy construction paper and fine tuned it with sissors. Will either buy some Lexan tomorrow or have them made and get the edges polished at a glass shop. Either way I will have a new set of lowers tomorrow.
Thanks again,
IDaho

08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah lowers makes the world of difference on head buffeting and wind on your legs.

Idaho
08-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Performed a little alchemy today.....turned the plywood lowers into Lexan. Look great and work like a charm. Gotta love power tools.

08-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Performed a little alchemy today.....turned the plywood lowers into Lexan. Look great and work like a charm. Gotta love power tools.

How about some pics of those puppys LOLOLOL

Todd
08-23-2007, 12:04 PM
You can see the ones I made here...pay no attention to the silly man sitting on top of the beautiful machine!!!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/toddf1_2007/lowers.jpg

08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Man you did a good job bro. I'm sure they work and look very well for ya. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif Mine are much different and allow some air in but they are much lower and really delfect air and road stuff off my legs. see image below of how mine look.

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/11628/2073968520075083331S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/9257/2636140810075083331S425x425Q85.jpg

08-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Mine are the same as Todd's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/suzukigal/100_1330.jpg

dogdoc
08-27-2007, 01:40 PM
ANBODY own a '05 Nomad with cobra lightbar with new larger lowers????? Please tell me if you made them or send pics. I need some that work. I have a set now, home made but not good enough.

Doc

beerdawg
08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I bought a pair of the Vernon Appenzeller lowers and in my situation they didn't seem to help. They are not much larger than the stock lowers. I have now ordered a windshield from Clearview Shields that is 2 1/2" taller than stock and 2" wider. I hope the windshield will help because the buffeting is really bad not only effecting my vision but giving me head aches.