PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Rally

usranger74
04-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I am a new member and still trying to lean how to find "stuff" on this site.

Where can I find info about the Cortez Rally? I am looking for a good excuse to tour that part of USA.

Txs

Bill

landman
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
look for the kawanow rally board then click on the southwest
regional rally-2010 link.hope to see you there.

MarkG
04-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Scroll up the main area of the forum a little ways and there is the section for the Southwestern Regional rally that has quite a bit in that area, too. I'm probably not going to know until the last minute whether or not I can make it.

waterman
04-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Bill,

Everything so far is listed in this thread.

http://kawanow.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=swrally2010

We have the hotel listed, several rides and an attendance area. Hope to see you there.

Let me know if you are planning on making it and your route.

cactusjack
05-29-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't know if we have a visit to the Four Corners Monument planned, but I just read in the Phoenix paper that the Navajo Nation is currently rebuilding the monument, adding rest rooms, enlarging the vendor area, etc. As a result, the monument is only open Thu-Sun and the monument itself cannot be accessed, it's currently behind a construction fence.

Just thought I'd pass this information along.

Netnorske
05-29-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't know if we have a visit to the Four Corners Monument planned, but I just read in the Phoenix paper that the Navajo Nation is currently rebuilding the monument, adding rest rooms, enlarging the vendor area, etc. As a result, the monument is only open Thu-Sun and the monument itself cannot be accessed, it's currently behind a construction fence.

That sucks! I was hoping to check that out.....if only to add a couple states to my map!

cactusjack
05-29-2010, 08:00 AM

That sucks! I was hoping to check that out.....if only to add a couple states to my map!

You could always ride over to Monument Valley, it's a little further west and you'd be able to add AZ to your map! The only "new" state I'm getting from this rally will be New Mexico.

waterman
05-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Crap. That was one of the rides. It wasn't on their webpage 2 months ago.

cactusjack
05-29-2010, 12:53 PM

In that case, I suggest a trip to Monument Valley. I think it's about a 240-mile r/t from Cortez and through some awesome scenery.

Here's the pertinent content of the article:

Don't miss: The Four Corners Monument -- where gazillions of tourists have had their photos taken with one appendage each in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah -- is being renovated. The monument is being reconstructed and enlarged, the vendor area is being improved, and an interpretive center, including restrooms, is being built. The Navajo Nation expects the $2.4 million project to be completed in late June. Until then, the site is open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Fridays through Sundays, but the monument is off limits, behind construction fencing; admission is free. Once construction is complete, the monument will be open daily and admission will be $4.

Details: Navajo Parks and Recreation Department, 928-871-6647
www.navajonationparks.org (http://www.navajonationparks.org)

Sorry, I hate being the bearer of bad news.

waterman
05-29-2010, 03:42 PM

In that case, I suggest a trip to Monument Valley. I think it's about a 240-mile r/t from Cortez and through some awesome scenery.

Don't miss: The Four Corners Monument -- where gazillions of tourists have had their photos taken with one appendage each in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah -- is being renovated. The monument is being reconstructed and enlarged, the vendor area is being improved, and an interpretive center, including restrooms, is being built. The Navajo Nation expects the $2.4 million project to be completed in late June. Until then, the site is open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Fridays through Sundays, but the monument is off limits, behind construction fencing; admission is free. Once construction is complete, the monument will be open daily and admission will be $4.

I guess it is that time of the year for construction. They also have the road up to Mesa Verde tore up as well.

Since Mesa Verde might be out, Jared and I have discussed a trip up to Moab and Arches in exchange for Mesa Verde.

Sin City Stan
05-29-2010, 08:18 PM

I guess it is that time of the year for construction. They also have the road up to Mesa Verde tore up as well.

Since Mesa Verde might be out, Jared and I have discussed a trip up to Moab and Arches in exchange for Mesa Verde.

Will we get a schedule of rides before the rally? We were planning on taking a detour through Monument Valley on the way to Cortez. If we know ahead of time we will skip the Valley on the way to Cortez.

waterman
05-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Stan,

I am planning on giving Utah a call this week to talk it over with him. Should get something up by the weekend.

Will we get a schedule of rides before the rally? We were planning on taking a detour through Monument Valley on the way to Cortez. If we know ahead of time we will skip the Valley on the way to Cortez.

cactusjack
06-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm almost ready...I got a new front tire mounted today, a Dunlop D404. I just need to change my oil on Saturday and load the bike up and I'm out of here Sunday morning.

usranger74
06-09-2010, 06:21 AM
The wind is light. Sky is blue and temp is 60. I am out the door and on my way.

Bill

waterman
06-09-2010, 08:33 AM
One more day at work. Oil changed last Saturday, new skins on front and rear today, pack, and then hit the road to hopefully meet up with usranger74 in Ordway.

dantama
06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
OK, now I'm at the point were it would all be exciting to be going. Too bad my wife bought the tickets to Europe for the wrong month(she meant to buy them for July). Post a lot of pics.

I'm heading out today too, but headed for Germany.

waterman
06-09-2010, 09:36 AM
OK, now I'm at the point were it would all be exciting to be going. Too bad my wife bought the tickets to Europe for the wrong month(she meant to buy them for July). Post a lot of pics.

I'm heading out today too, but headed for Germany.

Have a good time in Germany Dan.