PDA

View Full Version : oil quanity after change

steve92
04-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello all I recently bought a 2009 nomad and I am really enjoying the bike. After passing 600 miles I gave the bike the required oil change. Drained the bike from both drain plugs while still very warm and of course changed the filter. In refilling the oil I put back 4.5 qts as per the owners manual and service manual and after allowing the bike to idle for 10 mins and cooling for 2 mins. I checked the level, and to my amazement the oil level was barely touching the dipstick with the bike upright and the dipstick being screwed back in. I added another half of a quart and it is now showing about a third the way up the hatched area on the dipstick. Any ideas thanks

This is a great forum
Steve

mrclean
04-16-2010, 06:00 PM
I put 5 quarts in my voyager.

Sin City Stan
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Hello all I recently bought a 2009 nomad and I am really enjoying the bike. After passing 600 miles I gave the bike the required oil change. Drained the bike from both drain plugs while still very warm and of course changed the filter. In refilling the oil I put back 4.5 qts as per the owners manual and service manual and after allowing the bike to idle for 10 mins and cooling for 2 mins. I checked the level, and to my amazement the oil level was barely touching the dipstick with the bike upright and the dipstick being screwed back in. I added another half of a quart and it is now showing about a third the way up the hatched area on the dipstick. Any ideas thanks

This is a great forum
Steve

It took 5 Qts. in my Nomad.

steve92
04-17-2010, 10:18 AM
thanks at least I'm in the ballpark

drno
04-17-2010, 06:55 PM
not a bad idea to fill approx then top up to the correct level.

Sin City Stan
04-17-2010, 10:23 PM
not a bad idea to fill approx then top up to the correct level.

That's how I did it. 5 Qts. nonetheless.