PDA

View Full Version : GMAX GM68S helmets anyone have it?

kingbee
03-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Looking at buying a GMAX GM68S helmet soon and was wanting a review from any one using it..

cactusjack
03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
I am not familiar with this helmet, but the May issue of Motorcycle Cruiser magazine did a comparison of sub-$250 full face helmets and the GMAX GM68S was rated 2.5 out of 5 stars. In the same price range is the HJC CL-15 at 4.5 stars, and only slightly ($20) more is the Scorpion EXO-400 rated at 4.5 stars. If it makes a difference to you, the GMAX is only DOT approved, while the HJC and the Scorpion are both DOT and Snell approved.

I was just glancing at the article in the magazine and remembered reading your question earlier. I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Top Cat
03-24-2008, 08:06 AM
I have one and it is great, bought one for Cindy as well. It was voted "Helmet of the Year by Web Bike World. Don't know if you are familiar with them but go to this site and read the review. I got an all flat black one as I didn't like the looks of the Dragon or Crusaider.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/gmax/gm68s/

I bought ours form these people. I live in NY State and they are in California. I got it in 2 days.
http://xchoppers.com/product_info.php?products_id=1615

Just a note. I wear a 6 7/8 hat and had to buy a large melmet.

dogdoc
03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh come on TC you would look sooooooo cool with the dragon on it, LOL

Top Cat
03-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Ya think so Doc? I don't know, at my age I think cool went out the window years ago. Although I do ride a Nomad, thats cool , right?

kingbee
03-24-2008, 04:28 PM
TC that's where I read about this helmet and just wondered if it was as good as they say it is.Does it really vent as well as they say with little noise to the wearer?
Thanks.

Top Cat
03-24-2008, 04:40 PM
To tell you the truth kingbee , I don't know. It is still winter here in the part of NY State where I live. I will say it looks like it will move alot of air. It has many vents and the vents actually can be seen from the inside of the helmet. It looks like the air will get to your head not just be blocked as other helmet vents are.
It looks like a quality helmet to me. I will let you know as soon as this white crap melts soI can get to the road ::)

kingbee
05-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Ok TC it warmer now ,have had a chance to try this helmet out? Does it vent as well as they say?
Thanks

ponch
05-07-2008, 06:33 AM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Snell is revising their standards because of this. It's interesting that the cheaper helmet worked best.

I am not familiar with this helmet, but the May issue of Motorcycle Cruiser magazine did a comparison of sub-$250 full face helmets and the GMAX GM68S was rated 2.5 out of 5 stars. In the same price range is the HJC CL-15 at 4.5 stars, and only slightly ($20) more is the Scorpion EXO-400 rated at 4.5 stars. If it makes a difference to you, the GMAX is only DOT approved, while the HJC and the Scorpion are both DOT and Snell approved.

I was just glancing at the article in the magazine and remembered reading your question earlier. I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

scott2007nomad
05-07-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

It's because of this article that I do NOT buy Snell rated helmets.

Top Cat
05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey kingbee, I really like the way the helmet fits. I took the battery out of the light on the back 'cause it kept coming on from just handling the helmet. Cindys did the same thing so I took the batteries out of hers also.
Both shields they include are great. Clear as can be, no distortion at all. The tinted one is great in the daytime.
I don't think the vents move as much air inside the helmet as they claim. Not only that but when you have them open it is noisy as hell. Yeah you could wear ear plugs but I don't like to do that.
The quality of the helmet seems good to me and it is comfortable. The price is right also. I will be wearing it all year even in the heat. I like the protection of fullface.
I have worn it on 70 degree days with out sweatin but the humidity is not here yet. If you ride in humid weather and the venting of the helmet is your most important feature I would say you may be dissapointed in this helmet. Hope this helps.