PDA

View Full Version : The Texas Hill Country beckons...LATEST

trip
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Get your stuff together guys and gals.....we meet in the Texas Hill country in about 2 1/2 weeks.

chainsaw
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Ready, see you there.

Cajunrider
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
We'll see you all there. I'll be hitting Houston probably around 11 to noon. Is it better to follow I-10 straight through or to drop down on the 610 loop at that time of day? San Antonio will probably be a pain later in the afternoon.

trip
04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, not being from Houston, I would say your best bet would be to hit 610 and go around the downtown area to the North and pick up I-10 on the other side.

However, when you hit San Antonio, here is a suggestion.......coming in on I-10, go on Loop 410 on the south side of town and then go out Hwy 90 on the West side. After you go through Hondo, TX, take Hwy 127 North at Sabinal, TX. Stay on 127 until it hits Hwy 83 and continue North until you reach Leakey.

Of course, the countryside would be prettier staying on I-10 out of San Antonio and getting off at Boerne and going through Bandera, Medina and Vanderpool to get to Leakey, but it will probably take you longer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cajunrider
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks Trip. That was my plan west of San Antonio. I hate hitting those big cities during rush hour but sometimes it can't be avoided.

trip
04-07-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm certain that there were gas stations in Hondo. I've filled up there many times and Hondo is a big enough town to keep some stations open. But, I don't remember if there was gas available in Sabinal. By the map, it's 88 miles from Hwy 90 & Loop 410 to Leakey. So, be sure to at least gas up in Hondo.

Although it's not as bad as the Big Bend area, there are stretches of road in the Hill Country that you have to plan for as far as gas.

In the Big Bend area, a motorcyclist can find themselves literally out in the middle of nowhere with no possibility of fuel. If anyone ever travels to Alpine, TX by way of Hwy 90..... be aware that there is no fuel on Hwy 90 from Del Rio, TX to Sanderson, TX.... a 117 mile stretch. For a Nomad, that's no problem (even two up), but for many bikes, that can present a problem. When I traveled the Big Bend area on my Honda 750 years ago, I had a fuel range of 100 miles. I used to carry extra fuel cells with me in my bags.

I know I'm rambling, but I'm sure you're asking why anyone in their right mind would travel to Alpine from Del Rio on Hwy 90? Well, the answer is to stop and see Langtry, TX. That is the home of Judge Roy Bean, Law West of the Pecos.

http://www.hilliard.ws/bigbend2006/april30a.jpg

Cajunrider
04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't foresee it but I don't want to be traveling between San Antonio and Leakey after dark. Mapquest says over 9 hours for the trip from here. I plan on leaving at around 6 am. That would give me about 13 hours of daylight riding. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering if anyone is taking the same route that I am. I haven't heard of anyone coming in from Mississippi or Alabama heading for the Hill Country.

trip
04-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Know what you mean Mitch. I wouldn't travel anywhere after dark in the Hill Country.

I'm leaving at 6am on Monday the 26th, too. It will take me about 9 1/2 hours to get to Leakey....that's with fuel and meal stops included. Total mileage for me is going to be 350 miles.

By the map, I show you have just over 600 miles to travel. I'm figuring that's about 10 hours......including fueling and eating. Of course, you're traveling interstate most of the way. Just a suggestion, but have you thought about leaving on Sunday and staying somewhere halfway? It might keep fatigue from setting in. Just a thought.

As of right now, noone is coming from MS., AL. or even MO. Maybe things will change at the last minute.

Cajunrider
04-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I thought about it Trip. I would leave Sunday if the weather forecast showed bad weather on Monday along the way. Otherwise, we will leave early Monday morning and test our long range stamina.

zoom45
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Can't make this trip. Got to work but I am going to Jacksonville, Fl this month (19-23) for work and on the bike if weather is ok.
Zoom45

oldbikers
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Believe me if I could go I would :'( :'(

chainsaw
04-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Trip, remind me to tell you of my story when visiting Langtry. By the looks of things there will probably be about six or seven of us there.

ndbigfish
04-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Lets see: new rear tire, swing arm serviced, propeller shaft serviced, final drive serviced, spark plugs cleaned and re-gapped, carb cleaned, fuel filter replaced, new rear brake pads, rattling baffle fixed, oil & filter changed and saddlebag frame's paint touched up. Guess I'm about ready.

paul
04-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Mitch, I-10 straight through is fine that time of day except for the construction on the east side of town. Your best bet is to go 610 North off of I-10 and follow it on around east until it comes back around into I-10 near the 290 juncture. Don't go South on 610, that is the long way.
Taking the 610 N route will also avoid the downtown interchange and there is rarely much traffic that time of day on 610. Ride safe and just watch the cagers as you pass the 45/610 interchange. They get a little crazy right there for some reason, and sometimes things slow down fast just before going past the 45 exits. Ride safe.

Cajunrider
04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the Houston update. I'll take the 610-N and keep my eyes open for the crazies.

trip
04-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the update, hms. Sorry some of you can't go. The Spring flowers are blooming the best they have in a long time.

Hopefully, they will still be there at the end of this month.

Al, I'll be sure and ask about your Langtry story. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

trip
04-08-2010, 07:03 AM
I thought about it Trip. I would leave Sunday if the weather forecast showed bad weather on Monday along the way. Otherwise, we will leave early Monday morning and test our long range stamina.

Never heard it termed that way before.... "Long Range Stamina".... You go for it Mitch.....just be safe and get there.

trip
04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
BTW, for those that are coming to the Hill Country..... if you haven't seen the movie, "The Alamo" with John Wayne (1960), rent it or buy it and watch it before the Hill Country trip.

trip
04-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Two weeks left and counting............

Cajunrider
04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
I sure hope we have a carbon copy of the weather we're having now. Made it back home yet?

Cajunrider
I sure hope we have a carbon copy of the weather we're having now. Made it back home yet?

Cajunrider

trip
04-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Back home Mitch. Now, I'm really ready for the Hill Country trip.

trip
04-19-2010, 06:23 AM
T-minus one week and counting.

I'm getting stoked. Looking forward to seeing all you guys.

chainsaw
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
+1 me too.

oldbikers
04-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Al you are going to be the only ARL on the Texas ride so make sure and keep everyone in line especially Trip I am depending on you. ;)

chainsaw
04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
No problem Jim. I have to give him some leeway he's our leader.

skeeter
04-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Sunday took a ride to check some roads. Although there was plenty of evidence of the high waters, I didn't see any major damage. Route was 16 S. thru Medina to near Bandera, took 470 thru Tarpley to Utopia. Only running water across road was one spot on 470 at Seco Creek. Utopia to Vanderpool had a little standing water intruding the roadway but avoidable. warning signs and signals are provided and in working order. 377 to Leakey, falling rock and mud slide evidence on sides so keep eyes peeled. Nothing in roadway. 83 North out of Leakey. Construction is of no major concern. Good thruway as they are working on the sides. Fellow rider lives on the upper end of 1340 and said road closed back to Hunt so decided to try 39 off of 83 but 39 also closed to thru traffic at 187. So went back thru Vanderpool and had to take 377 back to Medina. The buffalo were out in front pasture. 16 N. home. Roadway over the mountain is getting a little rough in the switchbacks. Note- across from Koyote Ranch is Escondida, which is owned by Bob Phillips of Texas Country Reporter.

Will try to give an update on 1340 and 39 later in the week. Hopefully it is just debri being cleared. Both are blocked above Hunt.

Cajunrider
04-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Skeeter, I'm a bit leary of hitting San Antonio during evening rush hour. Instead of following
I-10 through the city to US-90, I'm thinking of exiting I-10 East of San Antonio onto TX-46 then to TX-16, FM 337, and US-83. It's about 3 miles shorter than taking I-10 and US-90 but will probably take about 45 minutes longer if I didn't hit rush hour on the I-10 route. Do you know of any problems with the alternate route?

ndbigfish
04-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Mitch,
I live on 46W. It depends on the time of day. About what time will you arrive near Sequin or New Braunfels? 46W is two lanes with passing lanes; most of it posted at 45 to 55 mph. Traffic is worst in the evening; especially Friday evening. I'm going across 46W to 16 then 337 on in to Leakey.

skeeter
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
What he said. lol. No problems with the route Mitch. you'll probably be ready for a change of pace anyway by that time. You may have a bit of traffic on 46 but it's not likely to be stop and start. May be some slow idiots and people slowing to turn off. Don't get anxious, be watchful, kick back and enjoy the ride. There isn't five minutes difference from New Braunfels to Boerne this way than skirting SA on 1604. Some days faster, some days slower.
You will hit the twisties on 337. Keep it geared down, there will be another curve ahead.
I may be able to meet you somewhere along the way. Will be working in Comfort. May be able to skip out early. will pm phone #.

Cajunrider
04-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm hoping to hit Houston by 11 - noon. That may give y'all an idea of when I'll make the 46 exit. Great to know we may be meeting up with you before reaching Leakey.

trip
04-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Sunday took a ride to check some roads. Although there was plenty of evidence of the high waters, I didn't see any major damage. Route was 16 S. thru Medina to near Bandera, took 470 thru Tarpley to Utopia. Only running water across road was one spot on 470 at Seco Creek. Utopia to Vanderpool had a little standing water intruding the roadway but avoidable. warning signs and signals are provided and in working order. 377 to Leakey, falling rock and mud slide evidence on sides so keep eyes peeled. Nothing in roadway. 83 North out of Leakey. Construction is of no major concern. Good thruway as they are working on the sides. Fellow rider lives on the upper end of 1340 and said road closed back to Hunt so decided to try 39 off of 83 but 39 also closed to thru traffic at 187. So went back thru Vanderpool and had to take 377 back to Medina. The buffalo were out in front pasture. 16 N. home. Roadway over the mountain is getting a little rough in the switchbacks. Note- across from Koyote Ranch is Escondida, which is owned by Bob Phillips of Texas Country Reporter.

Will try to give an update on 1340 and 39 later in the week. Hopefully it is just debri being cleared. Both are blocked above Hunt.

Thanks Skeeter for checking things. Keep us posted as the week progresses.

chainsaw
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Trip, are you planning on getting together Monday night with everyone to let them know where to meet Tuesday morning and at what time?

ndbigfish
04-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Good idea. I think Al, Jesse and I are all staying in the same place.

billmac
04-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Weather permitting, Cheryl and I are planning on joining in for some of the hill country rides and activities.

Beginning Monday, we will have our 5th wheel RV trailer camped on the river about 10 miles south of Leakey. We will also have our dachshund dog, Ms. Bea, with us. We hope you all will let us tag along for whatever part our party can endure.

Thanks

Bill McDonell
XX8176806001XX cell

Cajunrider
04-20-2010, 10:36 PM
We'll be glad to have you, Cheryl, and Ms. Bea join us Bill. No leaving this time for plumbing jobs. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

trip
04-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Everyone is welcome!

trip
04-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Trip, are you planning on getting together Monday night with everyone to let them know where to meet Tuesday morning and at what time?

Yep, we'll have a short get-together Monday evening at the pavillion at the D'Rose Inn. The pavillion is a covered area in the middle of the Inn. D'Rose Inn is located just a few blocks South of the intersection of Hwy 83 and 337 on the right.

We'll quickly discuss the ride for each day and what time to meet, our eating options and other things........then we'll go eat. I would suggest that we all trade cell numbers so we can keep up with each other.

Let's plan on meeting at the pavillion at the D'Rose Inn at about 6:00pm, Monday evening........ Everyone call me on my cell when you arrive in Leakey. If you get my voice mail, leave your name and cell number for me to call you back. My cell: 903-245-0794.

Also, I am changing up what route we take for each day, but I'll go over that later in Leakey.

BTW, I realize that some of you may want to ride the roads in and around Leakey by yourself.... noone has to stay with the group and do everything we do, if they don't want to. But, I'll have an itinerary planned for those that want to stay as a group for each day. In my itinerary, I cover riding and seeing the best roads and sights in the area.

The extended weather forecast for Leakey is showing no rain for the week, except possibly some on Friday when we're leaving. I'll keep an eye on it as this week progresses. But, as of now, it looks like the weather is going to cooperate.

See you guys there! Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone.

billmac
04-21-2010, 06:39 AM
We'll be glad to have you, Cheryl, and Ms. Bea join us Bill. No leaving this time for plumbing jobs. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Thanks Mitch. We now have a list of resources to hopefully solve that issue. :) :)

oldbikers
04-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Bill I haven't heard are y'all going to join us in Eureka Springs this year?

chainsaw
04-21-2010, 09:11 PM
For you that are doing the Hill Country Run, here is my cell phone number 817-975-2329.
See you all there. Looks like the weather is going to be perfect.

Cajunrider
04-21-2010, 09:57 PM
My cell number is 985 855-4230.

billmac
04-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Bill I haven't heard are y'all going to join us in Eureka Springs this year?

Well oldbiker we have it on our calender. However our grandkids sometimes trump our motorcycle plans. Last year we planned to go but the rain scared us away.

We did attend the 2008 Rally at Eureka Springs. It was good people, good riding, and good food. We hope to make it this year.

oldbikers
04-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Looking forward to seeing y'all again and I will have my Miss Bea with me this time.

trip
04-23-2010, 06:32 AM
T-minus three days and counting......

I'm looking forward to riding the roads with you guys.

ndbigfish
04-23-2010, 06:45 AM
A little rain forecast for Thursday and Friday next week. Better pack a little wet weather gear. I'm a little skeptical this far out.

trip
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Actually it started out as thunderstorms moving through Leakey on Friday....then it moved to Thursday and Friday......now, I'm showing just cloudy on Thursday and Friday of next week.

I've learned not to believe long range forecasts until 3 or 4 days out. But, I always bring my rain gear no matter what the forecast.

chainsaw
04-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Just checked it. Looks like they took the rain out of the forecast. But this is Texas. The rain suit is a permanent fixture on my bike.

skeeter
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
You guys are missing out on severe thunderstorms capable of producing golf ball sized hail. 9 mi SE of Kville. <s>Little shower out of it here but not expecting much.</s> One to two inches expected. Hmm.. heavier around 2 am. Can't get much heavier than now. Where's Noah?Quite a show. Fast moving behind the front line. Expected to keep moving North and East.

trip
04-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Yep....did the same here in ETex last night Skeeter. Clearing up now tho.

trip
04-24-2010, 08:14 AM
T-minus two days and counting.

wanderer
04-24-2010, 09:26 AM
T-minus two days and counting.

Speak for yourself, I'm leaving at 6:00 am in the morning. :) See you there.

Cajunrider
04-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Keep the beer cold for us Gene. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif See you Monday evening.

Cajunrider
04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
The forecast for the Hill Country is looking better every day. Mid 50's at night and upper 70's to low 80's for the highs with no rain. ;) I'm ready to roll! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

oldbikers
04-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Just wanted to tell y'all how much I am going to miss seeing you and to tell y'all to be safe and have a great time.

jmorrow
04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
:'( :'( :'(

skeeter
04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Had 2" rain last night. Beautiful today. All clear.

Mitch,
How much time alloted for lunch and butt break?
Houston to Seguin (suh-geen) exit 607 , TX-46/ FM-78, is about 2 1/2 hrs.
Guesstimating 162 miles.

skeeter
04-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Just wanted to tell y'all how much I am going to miss seeing you and to tell y'all to be safe and have a great time.

It's not too late Jim. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Cajunrider
04-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Had 2" rain last night. Beautiful today. All clear.

Mitch,
How much time alloted for lunch and butt break?
Houston to Seguin (suh-geen) exit 607 , TX-46/ FM-78, is about 2 1/2 hrs.
Guesstimating 162 miles.

Bob, I'm shooting for being at exit 607 by 3 pm. Hopefully a little earlier. I'm hoping to be at Katy, by noon. Stop for lunch for 30 minutes. Should be 2 maybe 3 fuel stops before reaching Katy. Hitting Houston between 11 and noon shouldn't be too bad. Rather than looping on 610 North, I may just go straight through on I-10 to save some time. Sound about right?

trip
04-25-2010, 08:36 AM
OK Gene....have a safe trip...we'll see you Monday afternoon.

T-minus one day and counting.....(for me and a few others)

Everyone, ride safe and get there in one piece. BTW, this is considered a vacation, so don't think of it as riding roads all day long in the Hill Country. We'll be taking our time and enjoying the roads and scenery.

Cajunrider
04-25-2010, 09:26 AM
OK Gene....have a safe trip...we'll see you Monday afternoon.

T-minus one day and counting.....(for me and a few others)

Everyone, ride safe and get there in one piece. BTW, this is considered a vacation, so don't think of it as riding roads all day long in the Hill Country. We'll be taking our time and enjoying the roads and scenery.
Sounds great Trip.....just what the doctor ordered.

chainsaw
04-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Amen to that Trip.

skeeter
04-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Mitch, If all goes well I'll be at the Texaco killing time. I'll touch base by noon.

Cajunrider
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Sounds good Skeet. We're all packed up and hitched up. If I would happen to miss your call I'll return it ASAP. I'll probably let Darlene hold my phone so calls can be answered while we're on the move. Everybody ride safely and we'll see y'all in the afternoon. We'll be pulling out at 06:00 give or take a few minutes. Take care everybody. I can feel it already that I won't be sleeping much tonight. The adrenalin is flowing.

skeeter
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
ndbigfish, what's your schedule?

trip
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I'll be leaving in the morning at 6am also. Spent today checking everything on Ruby Earl and giving her a bath. Oil, air pressure, coolant level...all check out. Packed and ready to load and leave in the morning.

I'm the same as you Mitch....everytime I go on a trip like this, I don't sleep well the night before....wonder why? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Everyone that is traveling tomorrow, ride safely. I take it Wanderer has already left, so God's speed to you Wanderer.

See you guys in Leakey tomorrow afternoon.

skeeter
04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm not going anywhere and I'm amped.

ndbigfish
04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Skeeter---geta grip; calm down! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif
I can leave anytime. As of now, I'm planning to be on the road before noon. Its about 120 miles out there, but I'm not hurrying since I'm on vacation. I have to be at my lodging by 3 p.m.

For those traveling long distances; be very careful and ride safe.

billmac
04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Wife and I plan to leave at 5am. We are dragging the 5th wheel RV to Park View Riverside RV about 10 miles south of Leakey.

I hope to sleep good tonight.. I am tired from loading everything.. Look forward to seeing everyone.

Cajunrider
04-26-2010, 04:26 AM
I'm ready to roll.........

skeeter
04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Skeeter---geta grip; calm down! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif
I can leave anytime. As of now, I'm planning to be on the road before noon. Its about 120 miles out there, but I'm not hurrying since I'm on vacation. I have to be at my lodging by 3 p.m.

For those traveling long distances; be very careful and ride safe.

LOL! Figured you'd be out early. See you in Leakey.

mac
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
If I hadn't already scheduled a ride with other VROC'ers to Arkansas I'd be out there with you guys! Have fun, ride safe.

trip
04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Having a wonderful time. We leave this morning for the Northeast Loop ride.

Pics later.

watchman
04-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Hope everybody has a good time. We are thinking of you all. We will be here at home with house guests, the new granddaughter, her mom and dad. They surprised us yesterday and pulled in about 4:00 pm. So althought we would have liked to have been there with you we won't be pouting too much.

Cajunrider
04-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Beautiful countryside and met some great new folks.
Skeeter, thanks so much buddy for the pickup in Seguin, enjoyed meeting you and riding with you. Take care.

waterman
04-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Having a wonderful time. We leave this morning for the Northeast Loop ride.

Pics later.

Hey, we want instant pictures!!! I thought you IT guys would have that figured out by now. ::)

Hope you are having a great time.

skeeter
04-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Beautiful countryside and met some great new folks.
Skeeter, thanks so much buddy for the pickup in Seguin, enjoyed meeting you and riding with you. Take care.

Glad to do it. One last ride before I put my nose back to the grindstone. Every time I go 470, I think of Indians. Some wild and beautiful country.
Great time chatting with this group. Enjoy the rest of your stay. http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif
May all your lights be green. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Cajunrider
04-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Enjoying the heck out of this stay. Kind of cloudy and windy this morning but underground says no rain. Going to Luchenbach for a Shiner.

Cajunrider
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
The Hill Country get together couldn't have been better. Great food, great roads and scenery, and most of all great friends. Enjoyed seeing the old friends and meeting the new ones. Darlene and I are looking forward to seeing you all again in Eureka Springs. It's less than 2 months away! Hope all have a safe trip home. Be careful everyone.

billmac
04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Cheryl and I enjoyed the Kawanow friends and the daily rides. Special thanks to Trip for inviting us along on his vacation. We thought he was excellent in leading the rides and sharing his knowledge of the area. What a great time!