PDA

View Full Version : WTB M/C Enterprise Saddlebag Top Rails

kpmhspirit
03-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Anyone have a set of these they don't need?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/M_C_Enterprises_Saddlebag_Top_Racks_Nomad_1500_1_p/472-42.htm

Thanks,

Pete

Jared
03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
You're gonna have a difficult time finding a set of used top rails. They require you to drill into the bags making them pretty much permanent.

phenrichs
03-19-2010, 02:34 PM
look on ebay! there has been someone in texas that is making them now and has been selling them from anywhere in the $40 - $200 range. But most are going for much cheaper than the Kawi price.

kpmhspirit
03-19-2010, 06:01 PM
You're gonna have a difficult time finding a set of used top rails. They require you to drill into the bags making them pretty much permanent.

You're probably right but I thought I'd ask on the off chance somebody has a set and never installed them. I bought my set about 3 years ago for $104 and now they're $170 from most dealers.

As OP suggests, I'll try ebay next.

As a public service announcement: Check your saddlebag bolts are in and tight before riding!!!! I took one bag off last night and set it back and got sidetracked and never put the bolts in. Today in 3 lanes of traffic I hit a bump and imagine the sick feeling as I saw my saddlebag sliding into traffic in my rear view mirror http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif I lucked out though. It must have landed on the rail and then slid on the cover side. The rail is not damaged, just some chrome peeled off. The cover is scratched where it slid but I buffed a lot of it out already and it doesn't look too bad. I ordered paint but may wait until winter to fix it. The green paint of the bag body doesn't have a scratch. The latch is a little scratched but for $120 for a new one, I can live with it. Overall I'm lucky no one hit it or ran over it. A friendly trucker stopped traffic in the lane until I retrieved it. More good news than bad, actually..... :)

Thanks,

Pete

kpmhspirit
03-19-2010, 06:02 PM
look on ebay! there has been someone in texas that is making them now and has been selling them from anywhere in the $40 - $200 range. But most are going for much cheaper than the Kawi price.

Thanks, That's my next stop.

Pete

phred
03-19-2010, 07:49 PM

As a public service announcement: Check your saddlebag bolts are in and tight before riding!!!! I took one bag off last night and set it back and got sidetracked and never put the bolts in. Today in 3 lanes of traffic I hit a bump and imagine the sick feeling as I saw my saddlebag sliding into traffic in my rear view mirror http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif I lucked out though. It must have landed on the rail and then slid on the cover side. The rail is not damaged, just some chrome peeled off. The cover is scratched where it slid but I buffed a lot of it out already and it doesn't look too bad. I ordered paint but may wait until winter to fix it. The green paint of the bag body doesn't have a scratch. The latch is a little scratched but for $120 for a new one, I can live with it. Overall I'm lucky no one hit it or ran over it. A friendly trucker stopped traffic in the lane until I retrieved it. More good news than bad, actually..... :)

Thanks,

Pete
Wow, glad the story turned out with a mostly happy ending, and there was no serious damage done.

What kind of fairing do you have? Do you have any other pics?

pirate
03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Ouch, I bet that did you make you sick watching your bag in the mirror. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

kpmhspirit
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks,

Pete
Wow, glad the story turned out with a mostly happy ending, and there was no serious damage done.

Yeah, I was lucky. The bag's fully functional and no real damage other than scratches. The fairing is an HD fairing I got off ebay. I'll add some pictures on my web site soon. I'll post them here.

Thanks,

Pete

kpmhspirit
03-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Ouch, I bet that did you make you sick watching your bag in the mirror. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

Yes, as soon as I saw it, I knew why it happened and I was mentally kicking my a$$ as I pulled over and retrieved the bag. Dumb mistake. That'll never happen again.... I think... :)

Pete

kpmhspirit
03-20-2010, 12:53 AM

Thanks,

Pete

I posted some pictures on my web site. Hope this helps.

http://home.insightbb.com/~kpmh.002/N-Fairing.htm

Pete