PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Good Times Protection Plan

caddman11
03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
:)I just bought a new 2007 Nomad and at the time, my dealer offered me an extended warranty, which I didn't take. Today in the mail I got another offer from Kawasaki direct and am really wondering if I should take it. ???
12 months for $462.00
24 months for $539.00
36 months for $649.00
48 months for $759.00
Since I'm new to Kawasaki, I thought I'd like to hear from other owners; what are your thoughts? This would make resale easier, but is it worth it. I will probably only put on no more than 5000 mile per year. Can you guys help me out with a decision? Thanks. :-/

Top Cat
03-08-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't buy extended warranty on anything. If the manufacturer can't build a product that last 3 or 4 years then I just never buy from them again. I think extended warranty's are another way to get money from customers.
You can only extend it so many times. Usually the manufacturer will not let you extend it beyond where they figure they will have to honor it ::)
I'm talking all manufactures not just Kawasaki :)

03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I've put 47000 miles on an 03 meanstreak, and 38000 miles on an 05 nomad and the only problem I've had was a bad air temp sensor on the Nomad last summer. The bikes are very reliable with just normal maintenance. That being said, I guess the possibility does exist one could have a major failure. Personally, I'd use the money for tires and gas.

ells
03-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Take all the $ you would ever spend and any extended warranty on any consumer product and put it in a savings account. The odds are very high that you will have all the money you ever need to fix stuff that would have failed in the warranty periods with a lot of cash left over. However, this typical bit of financial wisdom does not account for your personal peace of mind knowing you are protected against a major loss (which however is a false peace of mind because you will have already spent the money on other extended warranties), nor does it account for the slightly increased value your product (bike) would have if you sell it within the warranty - but then you have to sell it within a few years of new and most folks here don't really see the sense in that either.

Maybe Wolfman will jump in with a link to previous related threads here. There really is not a consensus here because not everyone agrees with TC and me, but they should.

audiogooroo
03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I agree, seems like the money would be better spent if you just put it in savings to use in case you did have a repair outside of warranty.
JM2C. Your call dude.

03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
here's that other thread....... http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1203014028&page=1 .....sorry it took me a while getting through all the happy birthdays

03-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I would be interested to know how many people have actually USED it??

ponch
03-08-2008, 12:42 PM
for 4 years:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=025&category=10066&sspagename=STORE%3APROMOBOX%3ACUST&viewitem=&item=380003644430

:)I just bought a new 2007 Nomad and at the time, my dealer offered me an extended warranty, which I didn't take. Today in the mail I got another offer from Kawasaki direct and am really wondering if I should take it. ???
12 months for $462.00
24 months for $539.00
36 months for $649.00
48 months for $759.00
Since I'm new to Kawasaki, I thought I'd like to hear from other owners; what are your thoughts? This would make resale easier, but is it worth it. I will probably only put on no more than 5000 mile per year. Can you guys help me out with a decision? Thanks. :-/

ells
03-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Rest assured that the folks selling them know the answer to that.

Thanks for the link, I probably repeated myself some. I probably wouldn't be on such a hobby horse about this if my wife would just agree with me... guess she likes that warm fuzzy stuff.

dantama
03-08-2008, 01:07 PM

I used it 4-5 times on my 99. I had about 40,000-50,000 miles on mine before it went off it's 4 year warranty (2 year extended was the longest you could get at that time).

It way paid for itself on mine. By the time I got to 63,000 miles I was feeling uneasy about having no warranty, and got a 2005, just to get back on warranty.

I wouldn't pay full price for it, but to me it is so worth the under $400 for a 4 year extended, that you can get them for from Fremont.

I know that on appliances and most things, it works to the sellers advantage, not the buyers.

I buy it on my Nomads for peace of mind. I bought my 06 Nomad in 07, and bought 4 years of warranty for $390 and have no worries for 6 years of riding.

Having no worries for those 6 years is worth $390 to me. I'll have 70,000 miles or more on it at that time, and it'll be time to get another one.

audiogooroo
03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
LOL Dan, I'm not at all surprised that you used it!
There's normal wear and tear, and then there's "Dan Lund wear and tear".

ringadingh
03-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't think Id go for an extended plan, My bike had a 4 year extension and it wasn't used at all. You wou be better off saving the money, since they come with a 2 year warranty when new. Most times any problems will arise during this time.

Top Cat
03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
LOL Dan, I'm not at all surprised that you used it!
Right you are Audio. If the extended warranty people see the pics of Dan jumping and parking next to cliffs, well they would probably give his money back and say don't call us.........

dantama
03-08-2008, 08:02 PM
[quote:g29wdmyg]LOL Dan, I'm not at all surprised that you used it!
Right you are Audio. If the extended warranty people see the pics of Dan jumping and parking next to cliffs, well they would probably give his money back and say don't call us.........[/quote:g29wdmyg]

And what makes you think I'd use my real name here? http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif

mercianbike
03-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Go into eBay and enter "Kawasaki extended warranty". You will find listings from Fremont Motor Sports, a official Kawa dealer in Florence, Colorado. They sell the same 4-year warranty for $355; that's 24 cents a day. Within a few days Fremont will send you a copy of the contract and in about a week you will get a letter from Kawa (same office that wanted to charge you $759) thanking you. You can also go into the Kawa web site, enter your VIN, and verify that you have the 4-year warranty. Fremont lists their phone number at the bottom of the eBay listing. Some forum members have called them directly and by-passed eBay.

I agree with most postings that extended warranties are generally a waste of money. But looking at the inflation of labor rates in the next four years and the weakening dollar against the Japanese Yen, I figure this one might be worth it.

dkdixie
03-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Go into eBay and enter "Kawasaki extended warranty". You will find listings from Fremont Motor Sports, a official Kawa dealer in Florence, Colorado. They sell the same 4-year warranty for $355; that's 24 cents a day. Within a few days Fremont will send you a copy of the contract and in about a week you will get a letter from Kawa (same office that wanted to charge you $759) thanking you. You can also go into the Kawa web site, enter your VIN, and verify that you have the 4-year warranty. Fremont lists their phone number at the bottom of the eBay listing. Some forum members have called them directly and by-passed eBay.

I agree with most postings that extended warranties are generally a waste of money. But looking at the inflation of labor rates in the next four years and the weakening dollar against the Japanese Yen, I figure this one might be worth it.

350.00+ dollars for additional 4 years makes sense to me. That's my plan assuming I still have the 08 bought in Nov and plan on keeping it past the standard two year warranty.

caddman11
03-09-2008, 09:14 AM
I decided to bid on an extended warranty off ebay. I believe that the bike won't use it, but I do believe it will make resale an easier ordeal.
Thanks for all your comments. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif