PDA

View Full Version : SPRING IS COMING

03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm down to one car,(due to no work) the wife has mine.. I'm going to Cuba for aweek, on my return I'm going to get my bike out of storage. Have to have wheels,hoping I bring back the good weather.

cnc
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Please do bring back some nice weather. It's mild here, around freezing, but gray and cloudy day after day it seems. There's not much snow on the ground, so it won't take long to leave. The salt dust, sand and gravel will take longer, but in Quebec We can not legally ride before the 15th of March anyway due to our mandatory snow tire law.

ringadingh
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Please do bring back some nice weather. It's mild here, around freezing, but gray and cloudy day after day it seems. There's not much snow on the ground, so it won't take long to leave. The salt dust, sand and gravel will take longer, but in Quebec We can not legally ride before the 15th of March anyway due to our mandatory snow tire law.

Put a snow tire on the bike. ;)
I didn't know that law affected bikes on the road, I thought it was just for cars and trucks.

ringadingh
03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm down to one car,(due to no work) the wife has mine.. I'm going to Cuba for aweek, on my return I'm going to get my bike out of storage. Have to have wheels,hoping I bring back the good weather.

Make sure you grab yourself some cigars when your in Cuba.
My brother inlaw just returned from there on Friday and brought me a few nice cigars.

caper
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
mmmmmH Cuban cigars!!! I have some comming my way this spring!!

ringadingh
03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
mmmmmH Cuban cigars!!! I have some comming my way this spring!!

Save yourself a couple for the Lake George trip, most of us enjoy firing one up after dinner.

cnc
03-01-2010, 11:55 PM

I didn't know that law affected bikes on the road, I thought it was just for cars and trucks.

The police make a point of going after any bike they see on the road , regardless of the weather conditions during the mandatory period for all motor vehicles ( Dec 15 to March 15 ). It would not matter if you put a CT snow tire on a bike. Their rational, there is no snow tires designed specifically for motorcycles, so your guilty and you would need two. By the way we now pay over $600 for a bike plate that is valid for 12 months, but thanks to this law, can`t legally use the bike for 3 of those months and no refunds
Just another TAX GRAB!

caper
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Well than thats it Norm . You have to move to the east coast hahahahahah!!!!

ringadingh
03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Thats sucks Norm; they really know how to stick it to you guys.
$600.00 is robbery for a sticker, we pay only $48.00 here. Its the insurance that is one of my peeves, also only available in a 12 month policy.
Move to Ontario, or at least register the bike in Ontario. Then you may get away with the snow tire law since your out of province.

cnc
03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Well that's two offers to move, does that include room and board? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif
Insurance is cheaper here as the 600 bucks for a plate does cover the mandatory medical portion. I pay around $400 extra to a insurance company that specializes in bike insurance.This includes all the bells and whistles, replacement cost, roadside assist etc,etc. Almost everyone with a bike uses them, because it's hard to beat them.

caper
03-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Ring, you know I'll have a few cigars at Lake George:):)

ringadingh
03-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey Ring, you know I'll have a few cigars at Lake George:):)

Perfect!! I just got a few Monte Cristo's the other day. I'll be saving those just for special occasions, at $20.00 each I can't afford to have them all go up in smoke. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif
Im in the process of looking to buy a proper humidor to age them in.

elvis
03-04-2010, 03:19 AM
If any one willing to move, come to Vancouver. I've been riding since early Feb. But bring rain gear http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

cnc
03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
If any one willing to move, come to Vancouver. I've been riding since early Feb. But bring rain gear http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

Well I rode in rain way too much last year, I'm hoping for more sunshine this year.

caper
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Love to move to the other coast :) If I could get the wife and girls to go also.

cnc
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Donnie, Maybe you should wait till they have paid for the Olympics before moving to the west coast. It only took us a little over 30 years to pay for the 1976 Olympics in Montréal. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

caper
03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
HAHAHAH Yeah wait for the taxes to come back down :):) But I don'r think I have that many years in me :) and if I do, I probably won't know where the Hell I am ....LOL

cnc
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Sure you do, within 30 years they will probably have perfected the "for ever young pill", and just think how much nicer the Nomads will be by then.

darthvulcan
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM

The police make a point of going after any bike they see on the road , regardless of the weather conditions during the mandatory period for all motor vehicles ( Dec 15 to March 15 ). It would not matter if you put a CT snow tire on a bike. Their rational, there is no snow tires designed specifically for motorcycles, so your guilty and you would need two. By the way we now pay over $600 for a bike plate that is valid for 12 months, but thanks to this law, can`t legally use the bike for 3 of those months and no refunds
Just another TAX GRAB!

WOW, $600 to plate a bike!! $30 here in NB, but insurance rates are climbing every year - even for old guys like me.

Rumours keep swirling that NB just might hop on that mandatory snow tire law bandwagon, too. Not looking forward to those days. I think it's a ridiculous law.

Just curious...anyone actually been stopped since the law was put in place?

cnc
03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Around the 15 th of Dec, the start of the mandatory period, they usually go on a little blitz checking cars and trucks. The fine is $200 - $300. I don't think they pay much attention during winter unless you are stopped for something else, or are involved in an accident. Tires marked M+S ( mud and snow) are not acceptable while tires marked LT ( light truck ) are acceptable up to the year 2014. This makes no sense to me. I have some really nice 6 ply LT tires for my truck that I use in summer. They are hairy as anything to drive with on snow, and would get stuck on flat ground. I would never think of using these in the winter, but they are legal.
I'm not really against the snow tire law. My wife's 4wd came with some nice big lugged off road type tires that went well in the snow in 4 wheel drive, but after putting on good quality snow and ice tires, the difference was amazing.
Now bikes are a different thing. Motorcycles used for emergency purposes are exempt, so the cop bikes are OK. It can be a raging snow Storm anytime before the 15th of Dec or after the 15th of March and if I am stupid enough to take my bike out in it, I'm legal, but take it out during the snow tire period, regardless of how exceptional the weather and / or the road conditions and they will nail you. There are a lot of bikes in Québec, so I We are just a cash cow to the government.

ringadingh
03-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Around the 15 th of Dec, the start of the mandatory period, they usually go on a little blitz checking cars and trucks. The fine is $200 - $300. I don't think they pay much attention during winter unless you are stopped for something else, or are involved in an accident. Tires marked M+S ( mud and snow) are not acceptable while tires marked LT ( light truck ) are acceptable up to the year 2014. This makes no sense to me. I have some really nice 6 ply LT tires for my truck that I use in summer. They are hairy as anything to drive with on snow, and would get stuck on flat ground. I would never think of using these in the winter, but they are legal.
I'm not really against the snow tire law. My wife's 4wd came with some nice big lugged off road type tires that went well in the snow in 4 wheel drive, but after putting on good quality snow and ice tires, the difference was amazing.
Now bikes are a different thing. Motorcycles used for emergency purposes are exempt, so the cop bikes are OK. It can be a raging snow Storm anytime before the 15th of Dec or after the 15th of March and if I am stupid enough to take my bike out in it, I'm legal, but take it out during the snow tire period, regardless of how exceptional the weather and / or the road conditions and they will nail you. There are a lot of bikes in Québec, so I We are just a cash cow to the government.

You guys sure have some dumb laws there, and high gas prices.
I I had to $600.00 to plate the bike I wouldn't be able to ride one.
The snow tire law isn't too bad but forces everyone to buy an extra set of rims and tires.
Somedays here Id like to see a 4wd only law on snowy roads.

cnc
03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Well Steve,
Where ever you live I find the powers that be find unique ways to take your money. It does seem though that we get more than our share of free bullsh*t. Gas is high but then hydro is cheap. Do you guys pay a delivery charge on your hydro bill in your area? I know my mother did when she lived in Alexandria Ont. $30 a month delivery charge for electricity, how could they come up with that one and keep a straight face? If you have two sets of tires for your car, they should last twice as long ( in theory ) as one set. Jobber rims are about $25 a piece and do keep the nice rims away from the salt and calcium, so all and all the law does not bother me. Just the bike part of the law and yes the plate is a ridiculous price. I just try to ride the bike as much as possible in the summer to get my moneys worth.

ringadingh
03-06-2010, 12:24 AM
We have the delivery fee and a debt recovery fee on hydro, a delivery fee on natural gas, and a couple other fee's that bug me. Even our cable has a fee for ongoing or future R&D, that one really bugs me. My wife looks after paying the bills, its best that I don't even see them. Evry time I get on the phone with them I get mad and end up cancelling. Ive cancelled our cable twice, and the phone once, then my wife goes and gets it back again.
I gave up my cell phone two years ago and don't miss it.

garyo4
03-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I think I'll put chains on my motorcycle tires if the snow soon doesn't go away...

cnc
03-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Like I said, they get you where ever they can. They still haven't taxed sailboat fuel yet, but they are probably working on it. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

We were without cell phones for a while and it did not bother me, bothered the people who could not get a hold of me more.
Lately my wife is suggesting that we get ride of the house phone and just keep the cell phones. Really we do not need both. Neither of my kids have house phones and they get along just fine.

Gary-o, I hear you often get tons of snow, so when is your bike season, August 1st to August 30 th? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif sorry I just couldn't resist.

sly
04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
APPARENTLY the white crap is on it's way back tonignt! for Chr...t sake man, it's 17 degrees outside (celcius) , I'm wearing shorts and the roads are finally (almost anyway) clean.... W T F !!!!! oh ya, GO HABS GO...

cnc
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
APPARENTLY the white crap is on it's way back tonignt! for Chr...t sake man, it's 17 degrees outside (celcius) , I'm wearing shorts and the roads are finally (almost anyway) clean.... W T F !!!!! oh ya, GO HABS GO...

Unbelievable, I hear there is a weather warning for the Eastern Townships 15-20 centimeters possible. Back to warmer weather Thursday.

sly
04-26-2010, 08:07 PM
same for Qc city, sucks.... 19 degrees on Thursday???? go figure, after the game will go to bed till the next game.... est c'est le BUTTTTTT, 3-0 Habs!!!