PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Rack

tomdez
01-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I just got off the phone with KAW. Looks like they will not be offering a trunk rack as an accessory. I could not get an answer as to why not. I wonder if they feel that the trunk will not support a rack without cracking. Too bad. I really was hoping for a little more storage. I had a trunk rack on my Wing to hold raingear.
Is anyone aware of an aftermarket rack? Has anyone tried strapping anything to the saddlebag racks?

cactusjack
01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
There's any number of aftermarket and OEM trunk racks out there. HD and Honda are two brands that come to mind. I bought mine from JC Whitney for like $55 or something. It looks similar to a HD tourpak rack.

tomdez
01-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Have you seen an aftermarket rack for the Voyager trunk? Since the top of the Voyager trunk is more rounded than the HD or Wing, I would not think the HD or Wing racks would work.

cactusjack
01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Have you seen an aftermarket rack for the Voyager trunk? Since the top of the Voyager trunk is more rounded than the HD or Wing, I would not think the HD or Wing racks would work.

So you think the lid is crowned too much on the Voyager? Hmm...well, there's always eBay.

This kind of thing is why I am re-considering my notion of moving to the 1700 Voyager when I retire my Nomad. With the 1600 Nomad, OEM and aftermarket accessory support was pi$$-poor. Doesn't look like it's getting any better with the 1700's. No bashing anyone for buying a 1700, merely my personal opinion.

tomdez
01-13-2010, 08:44 AM
I got my 1700 Nomad last September and put the optional Voyager trunk on it. I havent had a chance to do a week long trip with the wife yet, but we did do a long weekend 1000 ride in the fall. I am very happy with the bike thus far. Handles great, looks great, power is good but not great, comfort for me is excellent (5'-9"). But I bought this bike for long trips with a passenger, so luggage space is very important. I'm really disappointed about the rack. I may have to go with a tank bag. Any other ideas?

Cactus Jack, looks like your bike is pretty well outfitted for the long haul. I'd be in no hurry to trade it for a Voyager. If luggage space means a lot to you, You have more space now than you would on the Voyager.

cactusjack
01-13-2010, 02:40 PM
I got my 1700 Nomad last September and put the optional Voyager trunk on it. I havent had a chance to do a week long trip with the wife yet, but we did do a long weekend 1000 ride in the fall. I am very happy with the bike thus far. Handles great, looks great, power is good but not great, comfort for me is excellent (5'-9"). But I bought this bike for long trips with a passenger, so luggage space is very important. I'm really disappointed about the rack. I may have to go with a tank bag. Any other ideas?

Cactus Jack, looks like your bike is pretty well outfitted for the long haul. I'd be in no hurry to trade it for a Voyager. If luggage space means a lot to you, You have more space now than you would on the Voyager.

Have you considered pulling a small trailer? The Voyager can handle it, no problem.

I'll be honest, I'm watching the 1700 forums here and on Delphi. Kawasaki is going to have to get with the program before I'll buy one. I was really excited when they first announced the Voyager, but have been disappointed in the accessories available and the drive belt and heat issues. Maybe by the time I'm ready to retire my Nomad, Kaw will have their act together. If not, I have other choices in the touring segment to look at.

tomdez
01-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I really dont want to pull a trailer. I know a lot of people pull trailers and love them, but I wouldnt be one of them. I'd sell my Nomad and go back to a Goldwing before i got a trailer.

cactusjack
01-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I really dont want to pull a trailer. I know a lot of people pull trailers and love them, but I wouldnt be one of them. I'd sell my Nomad and go back to a Goldwing before i got a trailer.

It was just an idea. I know towing a trailer isn't for everyone, it kind of minimizes the riding experience if you have to worry about the trailer behind you.

billz410
01-21-2010, 07:50 PM
There was a picture on a Voyager forum of a guy that had installed the typical JC Whitney or HD-style chrome rack on the lid of his Voyager- didn't look too cool, in my opinion. Too much slope on the trunk lid- the back set of legs on the rack need to be longer to make it more level. Very doable, if Kawasaki would get off their rear end.

tomdez
01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
It seems strange that they would come out with the chrome trunk lid protectors, but not the luggage rack. Leads me to think that some testing may have revealed that loading the rack cracks the topcase cover. What other reason could there be? Anyone who's owned a bike with a topcase and travels two-up knows how useful they are. Kaw's been around a long time, I'm sure are aware of this.

I called Pakit Rak (www.pakitrak.com) . They make a pan that attaches to the rear of the bike via an existing hitch, or to the frame of the bike. You put a case on the pan, or stat stuff directly to the pan. They have been sold for Goldwings for years. They said they are working on one for the Voyager. The turn signals and license plate would have to be relocated though. Might be a viable aternative.