PDA

View Full Version : Heat fix on 1700 Nomad

muddler
12-21-2009, 10:51 PM
This is my first post so let me apologize in advance if I'm repeating something already covered.

I work part time for a local Kawasaki dealer and at work today I was informed that Ma Kaw will offer the same "heat fix" used on the 2010 Nomads to anyone requesting it for their 2009. There will be no charge and installation should be included (at least at this dealership).

This offer is supposed to be available in early 2010.

drno
12-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the tip muddler. Really appreciate it.

sakirider
12-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I found this writeup on another forum. I hope it is true ...

PARTS KIT TO REDUCE 2009
VULCANĀ® 1700 ENGINE HEAT
AVAILABLE MID-JANUARY
In surveys conducted with owners of 2009
VulcanĀ® VN1700 models, it came to our
attention that some customers may experience
uncomfortable levels of engine heat on the right
side of the motorcycle.
Well, we have great news! A parts kit will be
made available in mid-January for 2009 models
you have in your inventory (2010 models already
have the new shielding installed). Additionally,
Kawasaki will contact current owners to let them
know that they can have this kit installed by their
Kawasaki dealer.
Part kits will be supplied at no cost and
Dealers will be reimbursed for installation of
the kits at their standard labor rate.
Watch your mail for a bulletin in early January
with complete instructions for parts kit ordering
and claiming labor rate reimbursement.
KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.

glwilson
12-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Looks like they are offering an air-flow shield that tucks up and under the front seat and wraps forward some toward the rear cylinder -- if I understand this correctly.

This is the same shield concept that HD put on their tourers starting in '09. They provided them to '07 & '08 owners if they complained about heat -- but not until they complained first.

You can see this shield in the picture of my Ultra on the left. It is just below and to the front of the seat.

It works to some degree (no pun intended); but isn't a "cure-all". The shield help to keep the air-flow from blowing directly back to the rider's legs and groin area. It also causes more air to remain circulating around the rear cylinder -- with the intention of adding additional cooling.

Again... it should help... but is in no way a cure-all as mentioned.

peterdarby
12-24-2009, 07:44 AM
A cure would be nice but even helping is better than nothing. It does get warm. I will probably try it.

Sin City Stan
12-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Planning on making that call to the dealer next week to get on the waiting list.

glwilson
12-25-2009, 04:39 PM
You know, for you guys with the 1700's... you might consider changing the fuel mix on them. For my Ultra... I needed some relief from some of the heat, so I did three things:

Changed to a hi-flow air-breather
Richened the fuel mix by having it re-mapped
Switched to synthetics instead of dyno oil

These adjustments; while not free; did a good job at reducing the heat enough for me to be satisfied.

Just a suggestion if it is possible to do.

oledawg
12-26-2009, 01:54 PM
You know, for you guys with the 1700's... you might consider changing the fuel mix on them. For my Ultra... I needed some relief from some of the heat, so I did three things:

These adjustments; while not free; did a good job at reducing the heat enough for me to be satisfied.

What Air Sucker did you use ???
WHAT NO PIPES! ::) http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Sin City Stan
12-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Changed to synthetic 2100 miles ago. Have not found an after-market Hi-Flow or re-map module for the 1700 yet. Has anybody???

glwilson
12-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Screaming Eagle Stage 1; remapped to adjust for the air-flow for that with stock pipes. Did not want any pipes changed because I don't like loud pipes on my bikes. If I didn't like the results without the pipe-change, I was going to go ahead and change them to help increase the air-flow -- but I was fine with the results I got with the stock pipes.

Synthetics helped a lot also in the engine running cooler and the tranny shifting smoother.

So... overall... I decided to stop at that.

glwilson
12-26-2009, 05:48 PM

Changed to synthetic 2100 miles ago. Have not found an after-market Hi-Flow or re-map module for the 1700 yet. Has anybody???

I hoped it helped you some. Regarding breathers and re-mapping... I haven't seen a thing for them yet. I assume they are just simply too new and too few yet for anyone to address the need yet.

oledawg
12-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Screaming Eagle Stage 1; remapped to adjust for the air-flow for that with stock pipes. Did not want any pipes changed because I don't like loud pipes on my bikes. If I didn't like the results without the pipe-change, I was going to go ahead and change them to help increase the air-flow -- but I was fine with the results I got with the stock pipes.

Synthetics helped a lot also in the engine running cooler and the tranny shifting smoother.

So... overall... I decided to stop at that.

I was wondering about mufflers as the stock ones have an ugly seam on underside that doesn't close at rear. I switched to ATF in primary. Stops clutch sticking. Also Mobil 1 gear oil in trans stops the clunk.I also like the quiet, but the SE muffs with changeable tips are real nice. I'll prolly add a TFI + air filter in spring as I have no place to work in winter.(no garage) http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

glwilson
12-27-2009, 02:22 PM
OD... to avoid hijacking this thread from its intention... I will be leaving my HD as stock as possible rather than messing around with all the options one can put on these things.

I figure if I just abstain from doing that early-on; that I will be able to resist doing so later!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

cactusjack
12-27-2009, 08:19 PM
OD... to avoid hijacking this thread from its intention... I will be leaving my HD as stock as possible rather than messing around with all the options one can put on these things.

I figure if I just abstain from doing that early-on; that I will be able to resist doing so later!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Good luck with that, Greg! ::)

glwilson
12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Ha!! I hear ya.... ::)

I already have my eyes on a set of chrome rims for my bike... $500 a piece!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

...but boy do they look nice and shiny in person -- especially compared to my stock rims. They would look good against my chromed front forks. ;)

blowndodge
12-30-2009, 06:36 PM
With what CJ as invested in time and money in his Nomad he could have bought the bike he is eventually going to buy!!! A 110 cubic inch fully loaded HD!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

He's just taking the long road to get there Greg ;) !!

glwilson
12-30-2009, 08:49 PM
http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Just a matter of time BD... ;)

bigmacbkr
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I sent an E-mail to my dealer regarding the heat fix and asked him to confirm or deny, and if a fix is forthcoming to put my name in the hat for one. Here is his reply:No problem. We will get you one as soon as they are available. Obviously I still don't know if there will be one, but his response seems to suggest there will be. ::)

glwilson
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I sent an E-mail to my dealer regarding the heat fix and asked him to confirm or deny, and if a fix is forthcoming to put my name in the hat for one. Here is his reply:No problem. We will get you one as soon as they are available. Obviously I still don't know if there will be one, but his response seems to suggest there will be. ::)

Well... I certainly hope there is for you guys. It simply is no fun riding a bike that so hot it burns you.

Just remember... for the '07 & '08 HD buyers... their "fix" wasn't provided by HD unless they complained about it -- and from what I heard, some of them had to even make threats.

Hopefully you guys won't have to go that far.

grizzdog
02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I have sent an e-mail ,with the link from this site, to my dealership and he has forwarded it to head office in Canada we should know soon , i will post as soon as i here Dave

mrclean
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Just went to my dealer and picked up the new heat shield kit. Since theres nothing but snow on the ground here in Michigan I'll put them on myself. Give me something to do. That way when the weather finally decides to warm up I won't lose a day with the bike in the shop.

muddler
03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey, mrclean..... I'm right down the road from you... South Haven.... Nice to see a neighbor on the forum.

mrclean
03-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey Muddler. I worked in south haven for 7 years

grizzdog
04-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Hey all i picked up my nomad on fri and the dealer said the heat sheilds were available here in canada and they will let me know when they can be installed on my bike.

lawdog5839
04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I had mine put on two weeks ago, it seems like it made a difference, but it was cool out so we'll see when it it gets warmer if it makes a difference

tex
04-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Just found out it is available in Australia too. One catch.... you have to complain about heat on right leg. they aren't telling everyone about it

drno
04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Talked to my dealer here in Lethbridge and they are waiting for kits to be available.

muddler
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
For what it's worth.... I was out knocking around this afternoon (mid to upper 70's) and there was very little heat on the right side. In fact the left side felt warmer than the right. It appears the heat fix worked.

Sin City Stan
04-20-2010, 07:51 PM
For what it's worth.... I was out knocking around this afternoon (mid to upper 70's) and there was very little heat on the right side. In fact the left side felt warmer than the right. It appears the heat fix worked.

FWIW it's been in the mid 80s since last Saturday and the dealer installed factory solution to the heat issues IMO hasn't made a bit of difference. I still get relief by using the highway pegs but that's not an option I'm inclined to use in town or in heavy traffic.

I expect when 100s & 110s hit it will be a smoker again.

muddler
04-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Yea.... but it's a dry heat.

Sorry... couldn't help myself.

tombstone
04-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I just called my dealer, he tells me the issue is "VIN specific", and my VIN is not included in the repair VINs. So...I have to wait until Kaw decides to include my bike.

heath3n
04-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I just called my dealer, he tells me the issue is "VIN specific", and my VIN is not included in the repair VINs. So...I have to wait until Kaw decides to include my bike.

What? If you have a 2009 you get the heat fix. Period. They want your VIN so they know that you have received it. That's about all you need your vin for.

muddler
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
+++++!

Yea, what heath3n said

tombstone
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM

What? If you have a 2009 you get the heat fix. Period. They want your VIN so they know that you have received it. That's about all you need your vin for.

Well...I might be the problem, I have a 2010. I have felt what I thought was excessive heat on the left side, and we are still in reletively cool weather. So I thought I would be certain Kaw had made the mod, apparently he could not tell me that, only that I was not an affected VIN.

drno
04-22-2010, 12:04 AM
2010 bikes already have this installed from the factory.

cactusjack
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I had the opportunity to ride a 2010 Voyager last week. It was a black/titanium - gorgeous bike. Had it for about 25 minutes on a guided demo ride, so I never got above 4th gear. I did notice the heat from the engine, I was ready for it to burn the first few layers of skin off my leg, but it wasn't that bad, just noticeable.

I was fairly impressed with how it rode. Handled like a dream, seat was very comfy, sound system was nice, especially the auto-volume feature.

An hour later, I rode a 2010 HD Electra Glide Classic. It was surprising how similar both bikes felt - to me, at least.

tombstone
04-22-2010, 08:38 PM
2010 bikes already have this installed from the factory.

Good to know! Thanks.

ffron69
04-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Will this fit on a 04 1500??? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Sin City Stan
04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Will this fit on a 04 1500??? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Slight modifications will be necessary. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

putt
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
just had my heat kit installed yesterday. On the ride home @ 88 degrees I'd have to say that overall, the heat didn't seem as bad but one thing for sure, my right thigh was no longer the hot one, it was my left that felt hotter. Yep,no question about it, the left got my attention. Weird. Anyway, need more time riding it in the heat but my general impression is that ITS BETTER!
The Mech waited 45 minutes for the pipes to cool and then took about 45 minutes to do the job.

glwilson
05-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Can any of you guys post some pics on what this heat-fix looks like?

I would be interested to see if it is similar to HD's fix.

Appreciate it.

putt
05-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I'll give the pic deal a try tomorrow if I have time.
Not much to photograph, a small black metal diverter strip fastened to the rear top of the radiator, not obvious at all.
And the pipes? I think the guy said they removed the heat shields and put some sort of heat shield layer inside them and put them back on. Wouldn't swear to that but I don't think they put on new heat shields but regardless nothing to photograph there! They look the same as before. I'll try to see behind the heat shield with a dental mirror I use for model building.

muddler
05-08-2010, 12:31 PM
If you copy the following address and download the pdf file for the 2009 heat shield from the list, it may show you what you need to know (or not). Sorry I couldn't send the file.... couldn't figure out the best way to do it. Good luck with it.

1700_heat_shield [EDocFind.com].pdf

glwilson
05-09-2010, 09:49 PM
If you copy the following address and download the pdf file for the 2009 heat shield from the list, it may show you what you need to know (or not). Sorry I couldn't send the file.... couldn't figure out the best way to do it. Good luck with it.

1700_heat_shield [EDocFind.com].pdf

That isn't a link. I tried EdocFind; but I couldn't download anything from there.

mrclean
05-10-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.vroc.org/faq/1700_heat_shield.pdf or try this

putt
05-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I was just heading out to the garage to photograph the new shield and I see MrClean in the post above mine has a link to pics and details about the full kit.
Interesting that they replaced the front cylinder exhaust heat shield and included a piece of insulation for the old exhaust shield on the rear cylinder.

glwilson
05-12-2010, 07:12 AM
The "shield" seems like an unusual fix for the heat problem -- although I don't really know for certain if it is or not.

Seems like the shield is for the front of the bike; rather than near the rear cylinder where the heat is felt the most.

For HD's heat problem... they installed a shield that fits just under the front of the seat and wraps slightly forward toward the rear cylinder to help deflect the heat from the seat area and legs; but also to keep more air circulating around the rear cylinder to keep it cooler (since the front cylinder gets plenty of air-flow from being exposed at the front) (remember; HD's don't have the radiator to block air-flow at the front).

Thanks for sharing this guys. I appreciate it. ;)

10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Which Synthetic oil did you use?