PDA

View Full Version : roughness with clutch

flightdoc
08-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone else thinks their nomad has a "roughness" to it in first gear? When I attempt to do parking lot manuvers like a u-turn and am slipping the clutch there seems to be allot of roughness associated with it. Also, I understand that when cold a hydraulic clutch tends to "jump" when starting the bike. My clutch "jumps" after being ridden too. Anyone else have similar concerns? Any cures?
thanks. My first posting on this website. I always enjoyed Trips original web. This is great.

vin

08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Mine doesn't do that. Has it always done that? or is it wearing out? Sounds like its not disengaging fully. Sorry not much help here

Todd
08-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Doc,

I have not experienced any "roughness". It is definitely a low gear and you feel every turn of the drive shaft if rpm varies..but nothing unusual on mine.

Do you always park in neutral?? I know thats different than what, those of us that grew up with straight drive vehicles and equipment, are used to...but that should prevent the cold or warm Clutch jumps. If not, you may need a little adjustin'

I have noticed that the shift between 1st and 2nd is never quite as smooth as the other shifts on mine.

spirello
08-14-2007, 12:07 PM
WHAT YEAR IS YOUR RIDE? AND BY ROUGH DO YOU MEAN THE CLUTCH IS GRABBY OR JUMPY? YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY BLEEDING YOUR CLUTCH LINE. OR DOES IT LURCH AT LOW SPEEDS?

dogdoc
08-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I noticed mine as jumps into first when you shift from neutral into first on the first run of the morning but after that smooth. i heard you can depress the cluth lever a few times to engage the clutch plates and this does help the lurch. Most bikes i have heard do this from a cold start.

Doc

spooky66
08-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Are you in a parking lot practicing? If so it may be getting to hot. Zip across the lot a couple of times to "air out" and give it a rest. I practice "drill excercises" and it only takes about 15 minutes to at those speedes in first gear and hot weather to get to hot.

If it does it all of the time I don't know what to tell ya.

08-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I get the jump when shifting into first gear from neutral or if I have it in gear when I start it for the first time of the day. It doesn't do it everytime but quite often.

08-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Are you guys talking about when the bike is still fast idling?

flightdoc
08-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm glad so many of you responded. THANKS. Let me clear up a few comments.
My bike, like any bike with a hydraulic clutch is "jumpy" when first started. Cold. Once it's warmed the "jumpiness" settles but never completely goes away. If I stop at a light, shift into neutral, then shift back to first it will jump a little bit. I assume that's normal due to the type of clutch it is.
My issue is warm or cold, if I'm in heavy, creeping traffic the bike runs and feels like it's not running on both cylinders. It's a roughness in the throttle / clutch / engine. something. I don't trust my dealer at all. Some tell me they think it's because of the pistons being so big?? Once I get the revs up it smooths right out. Trying to do low speed / tight turn manuvers is difficult. I have to really rev it up to smooth it out. any ideas would be appreciated.

flightdoc
08-15-2007, 03:09 PM
FYI: It's a 2005 with 21k on the odo. This roughness I described has been from day one. I bought it new.