PDA

View Full Version : Bag lights installed

voyager
09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Was looking for quite some time for lights for the bags. Looked at the original tail light assemblies but had no luck picking them up on Ebay. Looked at the '39 Ford lights and was close to getting them, but found these after TC pointed me in their direction. I picked these tombstone style because the stood out like the fender light, a little smaller because the bags are smaller looking than the fender, and they are LED and very bright. Hooked them up for running lights and brake lights.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/voyagerkbc/Stormdamage003-1.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/voyagerkbc/Stormdamage004.jpg

boomer
09-06-2009, 07:21 PM
The lights look great.

dogdoc
09-06-2009, 07:22 PM
COOOOL lights Voyager, good job.

fish
09-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes, those are the good looking lights TC has, Now he started something :)

ringadingh
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
They look sharp, and are practical too!!

schoeney
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeet !

Where did you get them?

Cajunrider
09-06-2009, 09:07 PM
They look great.

rickyboy
09-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Kevin, the lights look great! Did you have to go LED on all the others or can you run some "incandescent" and some LED.? I guess you ran quick disconnect in the bags for when you want to remove the bags for one thing or another? Always nice when you can make yourself more visible from behind. Good job.
Oh ! can you tell me why guys block out their lic. plate #'s?
Just one more thing,.... where can a guy get a tank bra/bib like you have. My tank is getting a little "scuffed" from my jeans I guess.

Griz
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Nice job, Voyager, the lights look great! I like the look!

MikeInFla
09-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice addition. Looks great.

nomad561
09-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Looks great.
Where did you get them? I might want a set for my trailer.

pirate
09-06-2009, 10:11 PM
The lights look great! Well done!

voyager
09-06-2009, 10:34 PM
As per TC's direction, I got the lights from JP Cycles. They have a larger version of the same design, but I decided to go with the smaller ( all right, and cheaper ) version for the reasons I stated.
Rick, the reason license plates get blacked out is because I read a thread somewhere, where a person did not and he had his bike stolen a few weeks later. The way he explains it is, if someone from your area recognizes the plate and location, it's not inconceivable that a person has the ability to locate your address by your plate. They know you have a bike in the garage and they watch the house and figure out your routine, then when the bad guys know your away, they break in and steel your ride. So, in this day and age with identity theft I just don't take chances.
Also, I am running LED with regular bulbs. As your aware , the nice thing about LEDs is that they draw such little amperage and give off no heat and are very bright. Oh ya, the tank bib. I've had it for a while, but I believe I got it from Classic Chaps.

Jared
09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Looks great!

jonsamson
09-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Look great, but why do they all look amber? The rear lights especially. I thought when lights are working as running, brake, and turn they need to be all red, only turn signals on the rear are legally supposed to be amber? Was this due to the flash and lighting when you took the pictures?

cactusjack
09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
You do realize that thousands of people see your license plate everyday, when your bike is on the street and they could even follow you home to find out where you live?

psychocycle
09-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Looking good.

billz410
09-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Nothing wrong with that set up at all! Looks nice.

phot
09-07-2009, 06:11 AM
I did a similar job a couple of years ago using Kuryakyn Tombstones. Put a LED strip light on below my trunk too, also an LED licence plate light, loads of light, cant miss me!

VulcanE
09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Voyager, that looks really good! I like the look of the lights on the saddlebags, and was going to do that myself, but after I got the HD Ultra Classic trunk, I decided I didn't need them. I re-wired the trunk lights so not only do they have the running and brake lights, they also are turn signals.

tazfl
09-07-2009, 11:05 AM
looks great, I've thought about doing something similar, only difference is i would remove the factory rear turnsignals and have the fender smoothed for a more custom look. But, I understand your going for MORE lighting to make yourself more visible while also adding a custom touch. looks like you accomplished that well.

Netnorske
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Kevin,
Sweet mod my man...looks great!

Top Cat
09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice job Voyager.
I have seen a set just like that somewhere.
Oh yeah, they are in my garage http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

As a side note the lights are from J & P Cycles.
In the original post it came out P & J.

macmac
09-07-2009, 11:32 AM
There is a pj cycles but I think he means jp..... maybe??

I can't find them however...

tazfl
09-07-2009, 12:52 PM
There is a pj cycles but I think he means jp..... maybe??

I can't find them however...

Mac, here's a link to
Tombstone" taillights at J&P Cycles website, i don't know if the exact ones he has in in there but theres 7 pages of tombstone lights, maybe this will help ya.
http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Search?Ne=0&N=0&fitment=0&Ntt=tombstone taillights&brand=0&Ntk=All&results=10&No=0

and actually, I think this might be the exact one, not sure though

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=3400666&N=0&Ne=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=tombstone taillights&Ns=&results=10&No=30

macmac
09-07-2009, 12:58 PM
The 2nd link I'ld say, and I went looking thru 20 pages on that site.... duh..

Thank you Taz

At some point I'ld like a little more illumination myself back there... maybe a small winter project.. Winter is coming on strong about now... Signs of it all over the place...

tazfl
09-07-2009, 01:03 PM
The 2nd link I'ld say, and I went looking thru 20 pages on that site.... duh..

Thank you Taz

At some point I'ld like a little more illumination myself back there... maybe a small winter project.. Winter is coming on strong about now... Signs of it all over the place...

Your welcome Mac, glad i could help. it's easy to pass right over what your looking for on these vendor websites sometimes, They usually have so many pages that you just quickly scan over each page and pass right by what you were wanting.

macmac
09-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah me and this box are not well matched. Not very many Buck Skinners will have a box like this in their lodges... I find i need a lot of help running this thing too.

It can take me hours to search a thing. I really tried too, looking at pj cycles and the guys Marine Son, then JP Clycles for 20 pages...

Funny, everyone thinks I am helping them, but the reality is all of you help me...

pronghorn
09-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I like'um the better you can be seen from the rear the better

Top Cat
09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah the second link tazfl provided are the ones we have.

wheelie
09-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Glad to see those lights look so good on a Nomad. With them having a plate light on the top how about making use of it to light up some cool pin stripes? I've been thinking of mounting pair of those also. I've got red LED trio trailer lights under the bags, they are pointed down giving a nice red glow on the road around the rear of the bike. They also reflect off the pipes and look like six lights instead of three. I have the Electrical Connection LED conversion in the rear turn lamps and have replaced the front reflectors with amber markers. The next step is to put some amber LED markers on the bottom of the front foot boards to extend the glow to the front of the bike.

macmac
09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Sounds like yer building a old mans bike, the new No-wing...

Don't mind me I just don't want to grow old and i think I will be 58 which I can't say I will like pretty soon..

I figure if i act like a child I may slow the ageing process. i work hard at it, but so far it isn't working very well....

BudMan
09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
voyager,
Are these dual intensity LED's? By that I mean do they come
wired for both Run and Brake?

rickyboy
09-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Kevin, thanks for the info. I just never thought someone might make the effort of breaking in to my garage for MY bike. I thought they only wanted H.D.'s. Now... how do you block out the plate number?
BTW Scott, you made a good point also.

voyager
09-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes the lights are dual intensity, they light up for running lights as well as brake lights.
Rick, while in photobucket, you use their own editing program to do pretty well anything you like to your own photographs.

macmac
09-09-2009, 09:24 AM
I am not sure it is worth scrubbing out a lic plate for a pic. I never did. But in most any art program there is tools to smudge it, and or change it in many ways. This would be what ever program you have that sizes pics to be smaller than the whole screen.

And yeah any bike can and will be a target for theft.

My 01 was stolen from a enclosed 2006 trailer. I got lost on a drak rainy night in Beckley W.Va.

The Inn looked like a Marriot to me and once was. i didn't know it was the dive of a place it really was untill day light, but that was already too late.

This place was hit on by theives often I guess taking tools most of the time from trailers.

I found a enclosed trailer with the common hasp is a easy mark to get into. My locks were still on it and still locked. The thieves simply locked vise grips on the upper half of the hasp and bent them up and down a few times, which released the moving hasp.

I changed all that and added a bit more http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif The next time the theives will be purple and stink like tear gas. And with the rest of 'more' leave pretty much empty handed..

The best way to steal my bike out of that trailer now is to pull the drive shaft out of the tow vehical and take the whole thing.

I found a guy shortly after who lost his bike and whole rig that way, so ain't nuthin safe.

And if I catch a thief he is going to have a very bad day :-* I promise.

My sons 750 Gixxer was stolen too, but the theives were more than average stupid an couldn't get the bike far. So they left it laying on it's side.

johnb
09-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Hey Macmac, I'm approaching 57, but always keep in mind, "your only as old as you feel" and I don't mean the aches and pains, but the attitude. My brother-in-law is 58, but he seems to act more like an 80 year old. Mentally, I think I've moved into the late 30's and the Nomad helps me.

As to the bag lights, nice job! I want to do something on mine. Right now I have the Electrical Connection LED's set up in the rear turn signals, but would like more. What I really want are the strobes that I've seen on the NYC police bikes. When they hit the brakes the lights "wig wag" then stay lit. If I can find out what they use, I'm sure there are brackets that can be mounted on the "bag" frame so I don't have to cut into the bags nor have to have any sort of quick disconnect. They're red lights, and on the rear, so I don't see why they wouldn't be legal for a regular street bike.