PDA

View Full Version : Compliment to a dealership

Yellow Jacket
09-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I wanted to tell everyone about a good experience with a dealership.

Cycle City Power Sports in Newnan, Georgia. Just southwest of Atlanta, GA.

http://www.cyclecityps.com/

The story starts on August 10. I was sitting at a red light and the kid driving the car behind me wasn't paying a lot of attention and let off the brake pedal after he was stopped. As a result he rolled forward into the back end of the Nomad. That managed to bend the right hand turn signal and scuffed the paint on the rear fender just below the turn signals. I took the bike into Cycle City in Newnan the next day to get an estimate on the repairs since the insured said he would rather just pay for the repairs himself. Two days later I gave the estimate of $994 to the insured. The repairs required a new rear fender, right turn signal and the bracket on the inside of the fender behind the turn signals. The insured decided he would let his insurance company cover it.

Three weeks and three days later (today) I got a call from the dealership that the bike was ready. Most of this time was waiting on the insurance company to cut a check and then waiting for the parts to come in.

When I got there to pick up the bike I looked over the work order. It listed all the parts that were replaced as I expected. One item caught my eye. Yuasu battery, qty. 1, price $135.

Now, whenever the bike is parked in the garage it's hooked up to a Schumacher Battery Tender so I was a bit surprised to see this item. It surely hadn't been damaged by the light bump the bike had received.

So I asked the Service Manger, "What's the deal with the battery."

He told me that apparently the battery had run down sitting in the shop for more than three weeks. and the bike wouldn't start. They tried to revive it with their battery charger. It would take enough charge to actually start the engine but it wouldn't hold the charge very long. So they replaced it with a new battery.

Now, here's the good part. He also said that since it was no fault of mine that the battery ran down, the dealership was replacing the battery on their dime. Absolutely no cost to me.

In my book, that is outstanding customer service!

This dealership handles Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha.

If anyone in the Metro Atlanta area needs the services of a dealership I unhesitatingly endorse Cycle City Power Sports in Newnan, Georgia.

pirate
09-04-2009, 07:36 PM
It's good to hear about good customer service. It certainly wasn't your fault that the bike sat for that long. Kudos to your dealer.

macmac
09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
That is most interesting, as it didn't run down because the dealer did it either.

Is this a sealed gel battery as oem? Isn't your bike an 05?

Yellow Jacket
09-04-2009, 08:21 PM
It's an 06, same as yours.

I'll pull the seat tomorrow and see exactly what they put in there.

ringadingh
09-04-2009, 08:27 PM
You can't beat service like that, the new parts probably covered a lot more than the battery but by doing that gesture they won a new customer and probably a few more just by you telling everyone.Thats good customer service.

macmac
09-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I will be very interested in your discovery.. Seems a bit fishy to me...

My error was in the sign off pic the bike appears black and silver..

Yellow Jacket
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Mac,

The battery the dealer installed is a Yuasa YTX16-BS. This is a lead-acid maintenance free battery and is the correct application for the Nomad according to the Yuasa web site.

chuckster131
09-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Very good on there part.
Glad to hear of a that, the dealer here I know for a fact wouldn't have done that.

nomad561
09-07-2009, 08:57 AM
It's good to know there are still places that have good customer service.

macmac
09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I worked for car dealers and independants a long long time, and this is the first time I ever heard of this sort of thing.

It is either a fishy something is up, maybe they screwed up, and dead shorted the your old battery some how, or the deal of the century.

I bought my 01 in Spring 05 and it still had the OEM gel battery in it in 06 when the bike was stolen. I KNOW that battery was very good still at that time, because I run a volt meter 24/7.

I did then and do now and there is one on my 850, but no battery. If there was that meter would be reading right now as my 06 is.

I have that same meter in the plow truck, the van and my car. I even have one more because i like these ciggy but meters and it lives on a battery jump pack I can carry. The jump pack has a series of led lights to self test, but I prefer the numba's.

All I can think is they either messed up really bad, or they really wanted to impress you....

In years I have had car batterys die while in the care of the shop, and I simply proved the battery was dead with a meter and a carbon core load test. The customer bought a new battery...

The battery you were given is fine....

dandolfn
09-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Whatever the story was behind replacing the battery, they still replaced it at no charge.

They deserve their compliments.

macmac
09-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Maybe... Bobs bike is a 06 just like mine.. I expect to get 8 years or more from the oem battery, and i don't buy it was a no problem battery to Bob and suddenly over night it went bad.

I worked for dealers and i can promise you no dealer just ups and gives away a battery because they are 'just nice guys'.

I worked in independant shops and gave away all sorts of things for free, but even that was in hopes of getting customer loyalty, and most of the time it worked.

Maybe this is what it was, but I just don't buy this battery went dead all that suddenly.

Yeah it's Great Bob gets a new battery, but to me there is something still missing.. I wonder why he didn't get another good long time from that battery too.

Being an x tech I get curious about things. It comes from a long time of fixing things.

I had customers that would kill a fresh brake job in a few months. Most of them would swear they were good drivers, who doesn't?

On the other hand most of them drove cars with two feet at the same time. One foot on the brakes at all times. Others would kill a clutch in no time, but if you asked them they didn't hold cars on a hill while waiting for a red lght, but they did.

I might not be a great driver either, but my calipers tend to seize from lack of use and the clutch in my car has 250,000 miles + on it today.

I have seen dealer techs break a lot of good parts too.... I saw one dealer tech blow the roof off the shop part of the dealership!!!!! Big BOOM all gone, day light up there.

The type of incident plus the 3 weeks doesn't add up to battery go dead to me..

The more I think on it the more I think the battery was stolen while at the shop.. That I can believe.