PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove my rear wheel

04kaw1500
08-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Im thinking about crossing over to the darkside and need to know how to remove the rear wheel . I have a motorcycle jack an some guys at work bought a tire changer to change thier own tires to ct

cactusjack
08-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Im thinking about crossing over to the darkside and need to know how to remove the rear wheel . I have a motorcycle jack an some guys at work bought a tire changer to change thier own tires to ct

Here's a good step-by-step on removing the rear wheel:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/reartireoff.htm

It pays to check Gadget's page before you attempt to do anything. He's compiled lots of little tricks and time-saving hints, and they are well written and illustrated.

ringadingh
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
There are also a few good sights on how to change a bike tire on you tube, it shows how to do it by hand or by machine.

macmac
08-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I might reccomend passing the rear tire swap to a bit more labor, and service the swingarm, since that should be done at 7,000 miles anyway.

If you run a ct, it will be a very long time before you get in there again.

With dropping the rear wheel you are 1/2 way to the swing arm... Probably you already need new swing arm seals, and the U joint simply must be inspected, besides greasing the splines and bearings is a must do.

There isn't really any tricks involved. The parts cost is minmal for 2 seals and 2 exhaust gaskets, a cotter pin, and some greases.

The only parts you can mess up is the shock acorn nuts which have the same threads size as the rear gear box, but the wrench sizes are different.

The shocks use a 17mm wrench size, while the gear box uses a 14mm wrench size. The 17mm acorns won't settle on the rear end because they are too big an OD. Don't ask how i know ::)

towering
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I remember the first time I removed the rear tire from the nomad. I was scared and sweeting bullits. But now its a peice of cake.