PDA

View Full Version : When you have an itch you just can't scratch.

isaiahsdad
08-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I know it has nothing to do with Nomads, just thought I would share. Took these just a few minutes ago.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/3845830537_e1c34a0b30.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how fast these little birds are, when they are actually drinking, their wings are at full rest. In this picture, you can see how far she managed to move her wing just from the shutter sound.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2437/3845830435_b4dbe67a3c.jpg

She is only about 2 inches in height and only about a year old. As you can see in the second picture, they begin their flight by swinging their wings forward first and are among the most efficient flying creatures on earth. Hope you like the pictures.

Took this one last year of a one month old male. The males start out with white gullets like the females until about a month old when their red feathers start to come in. A mature male has a full red gullet. Unfortunately, adult males are very difficult to film because they spend most of their time protecting the feeder from other birds, including females. They fight constantly and actually make quite a ruckus. I actually watched a pair of males fight all the way to the ground.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3442/3845892423_1acf39b36f.jpg

krt
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Also they are the only bird that can fly backwards!

isaiahsdad
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
You are very right sir. What surprises me the most about the hummingbird is their migration. The ruby throat hummer winters in as far south as Panama or the Gulf of Mexico and summer as far up as Canada and each bird returns to the same nesting area each year. I have a female that has been back for 3 years now. I know her because she has a damaged lower bill. Amazing distance if you consider these little birds are only about the size of your thumb.

rooster1
08-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Wonderful shots.

blowndodge
08-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I have feeders in my back yard and your right about territorial!! I love watching them bitch and tumble with each other! I sit for hours sippin' with a gar and just observe!!

croxy
08-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Great Photos!!!!!!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

glwilson
08-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Great photos!

Hummingbirds are one of my favorite to watch. We get them here in the most norther part of Illinois; and in fact, still have them here at present. (late August).

I would suppose they will begin leaving this area sometime in September -- although I am not sure as we have only begun to notice them this year around my house.

isaiahsdad
08-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Here in Oklahoma we get them late March to early October. You are right though, Illinois they should start migrating south about mid September. We have 2 feeders, one in the front and one in the back. Should be kept at least 100 feet apart. 1 part sugar to 4 parts water is all they need. No food coloring and especially not the stuff you buy in the stores. The store bought stuff has dies and preservatives. The dies can actually cause bill fungus. Sugar and water is it. I clean and refill my feeders once a week and it keeps the birds quite happy.

AlabamaNomadRider
08-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Great pictures. I just love watching them at my feeders. They do fight each other to keep the others away from the feeders. The recipe I follow says to boil the water. I use water out of water in door which is filtered and then I boil it. I bought a special bottle at a bird and pet place. It has the level for the sugar and then just pour the hot water in and disolve the sugar. Mix it as thoroughly as possible. I keep the unused in the refrigerator. I have found that if you put too much in the feeders it will spoil before they drink it all. Keep an eye on it and if you see it start looking cloudy, take them down and rinse out and refill.

ringadingh
08-22-2009, 10:20 PM
I was watching one earlier today, they are neat and fast.

borto1990
08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
sweet.. what kind of gear were you using?

skeeter
08-23-2009, 12:33 AM
the red ones are always fastest.....

isaiahsdad
08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Nikon D80, Nikkor 70-300 4.5f, No flash. I have the feeder 3 feet from my living room window. I open the window and clip the curtains shut around the lens so the birds dint see me. Then it is just sit and wait. When they land, I can zoom and focus without them seeing me move, but as it is a pro digital it still has a shutter and it does tend to startle them. If I spend an hour or so at the window, they settle down and the sound of the shutter doesn't bother them as much.

wompus
08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
We have 2 families of Humming birds here at my house.
The males are very nervous about anything moving around them where as the females look at you and doesn't mind you being close to them at all.
The females are also VERY territorial and she will run off any other birds when she feeds.

If the feeder gets low one female will come to the kitchen window and hover until she gets your attention.... Smart bird!!

Montene thinks that's funny! Fill the dang thing!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif

dandolfn
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Great pictures!

We have several firebush plants that have formed a hedge in our back yard and we get hummingbirds, too. Never been able to get them to use a feeder, tho.

kudzufarmer
08-25-2009, 08:36 AM
You are very right sir. What surprises me the most about the hummingbird is their migration. The ruby throat hummer winters in as far south as Panama or the Gulf of Mexico and summer as far up as Canada and each bird returns to the same nesting area each year. I have a female that has been back for 3 years now. I know her because she has a damaged lower bill. Amazing distance if you consider these little birds are only about the size of your thumb.

Yeah we live in Jasper Texas and have feeders out......I guess it is during their migration but we have had as many as 12 - 15 humminbirds at the feeders at the same time.......to watch them it looks like scences from the world war II battle of Britian with them all diving and flying at each other!

samkjr
08-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Beautiful Pics. I love the one of him scratching,

Thanks for posting

flavor
08-28-2009, 07:41 AM
I enjoyed the pictures as well. I love the way they move from flower to flower as quick as blinking your eyes.

I always wondered if they have any predators being as quick as they are and how they nest.

Maybe I'll google that one.