PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil?

cdneh
08-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I was reading on the Kawasaki forum a discussion about the heat from the 17000 engine and a rider commented that he switched to synthetic oil and he noticed a difference. He didn't elaborate on it. I have never used synthetic and have heard pros and cons. I am coming up to my 5000 km oil change and am wondering if there are advantages to changing. Once you change, can you go back?

cantridenuf
08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Just curious, what are the cons that you've heard regarding synthetic? (Other than price). It maintains its viscosity over much higher temperatures than dino oil. Motorcycle engines, even the liquid-cooled versions get very hot. That is the reason why I use synthetic.

cantridenuf
08-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Oh yeah, and you can always go back.

mrclean
08-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Have used nothing but synthetic in my bikes and cars. Will be be putting it in my voyager in the up coming oil change the end of this week. There is no problems with switching back if thats what you want.

dogdoc
08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
can change to syn at the 600 miles break out oil, it does help with shifting, noise, gears, heat, miles per gallon.

glwilson
09-09-2009, 08:54 PM
can change to syn at the 600 miles break out oil, it does help with shifting, noise, gears, heat, miles per gallon.

Exactly what Doc says... ;)

Sin City Stan
09-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Shifts smoother. Shifts quiter. Mileage seems to have improved. Still hotter than hell though.

radco
10-09-2009, 05:21 AM
I use synthetic in my Honda(38000 mile) and the Nomad (18000 miles) no issues,, MPG about the same,,,shifting abit better,,, Synthetic holds up better then Dino as stated,, Better thermal breakdown then dino,, longer oil changes,,,,JUST DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC that has FRICTION MODIFIERS in it! It will say ENERGY CONSERVATION on the back circle label.. THAT will cause you clutch to slip.. So MOBILE 1 Car oil is not good. MOBILE 1 10.40 MX4T or 20/50 V Twin is OK.. I did not like the Mobile 20/50 as we get cold up here in Maine.. I'm not far from the border,,,,so I use 10/40..
FYI: in a oil change .after grabbing a beer http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif I found out I added alittle too much oil and had to drain a tad,,,, I added it to my lawn mower..before I had to add gas to finish the yard, now it does both sides +,, with 1 tank of gas,,,,,,SO IMO that shows it make the engine run with less friction....my wrist throws off the MPG on the Nomad lol.......Rich

blowndodge
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I changed to synthetics the moment I was done riding my new Nomad home from the dealer! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

rusthead
02-06-2010, 05:50 AM
I changed to synthetics the moment I was done riding my new Nomad home from the dealer! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

G'day mate, have just put a car tyre on the back of my 1700. I am running at 42 psi and feels a little bit like it's a 5 psi. Only put about 100 miles on it so far but about to do a 5000 mile trip. I'll let you know how it went.
Regards Rusthead

radco
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
[quote="Blowndodge "Darksider"":lbug8cai]I changed to synthetics the moment I was done riding my new Nomad home from the dealer! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

G'day mate, have just put a car tyre on the back of my 1700. I am running at 42 psi and feels a little bit like it's a 5 psi. Only put about 100 miles on it so far but about to do a 5000 mile trip. I'll let you know how it went.
Regards Rusthead[/quote:lbug8cai]

First WELCOME to the Group.. I missed your intro.
What size CT tire did you put on the 1700? You will be asked LOL....and Please keep a record of the pressures you use and the one you like best.That would be a big help to new 1700 owners... And CONGRATs on the new 1700 Nomad n(or Voyager)TONs of great info here and several members here in Queensland if I remember right...Rich

fysl33
10-22-2011, 02:48 PM
synthetic oil is my biggest concern now , I have 1200 miles on my nomad and I want to go synthetic but the dealer won't allow any other oil to be changed or it will revoke my warranty ?

Kawasaki has synthetic oil ,but I don't think it's good enough ? what you think ?

I use mobil 1 on my car for years and I would like to use it for the bike, I don't know , warranty or not ???

bigdave
10-22-2011, 06:42 PM
synthetic oil will not void the warranty dealers try to pull that all the time.

cactusjack
10-22-2011, 07:18 PM
synthetic oil is my biggest concern now , I have 1200 miles on my nomad and I want to go synthetic but the dealer won't allow any other oil to be changed or it will revoke my warranty ?

Kawasaki has synthetic oil ,but I don't think it's good enough ? what you think ?

I use mobil 1 on my car for years and I would like to use it for the bike, I don't know , warranty or not ???

That's pure, 100% bulls..t.

glwilson
10-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I would ask to see what the dealer's is saying in the warranty document verbatim.

If it says that, then let us know. If not... well then... that answers the question.

gv550
10-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I was reading on the Kawasaki forum a discussion about the heat from the 17000 engine and a rider commented that he switched to synthetic oil and he noticed a difference. He didn't elaborate on it. I have never used synthetic and have heard pros and cons. I am coming up to my 5000 km oil change and am wondering if there are advantages to changing. Once you change, can you go back?

There is no 5000 km oil change, only 1000 and 12000, then every 12000 after that (or once a year, whatever comes first).
I switched to Kawasaki synthetic oil at 12000 kms and have continued to use it (170,000 km later) in my 1700. I did not notice any difference after the change but I feel better with synthetic in there for 12000.
You can go back to mineral oil any time, just make sure it is JASO MA rating.

Garry