PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rube! (updated)

dieseldave
08-16-2009, 09:58 PM
New member checking in from just south of Pittsburgh, PA. Unlike most of you, I'm not a Nomad rider (yet?) but the Nomad is on my short list. I've been lurking here for a while researching the always popular "Next Pre-Owned Bike" which will be arriving in my garage early next spring.

The short list is:
- the Nomad
- BMW RT (1100 or 1150, depending on wallet size next spring)
- Suzuki V-Strom

I understand that those are 3 completely different bikes and that I'm comparing apples to oranges. I guess the task at hand is to decide which fruit I want to be eating for the next few years.

The Nomad offers comfort for one or 2 up, plenty of leg room, nice storage options, a classic look and the ability to eat up miles. All of this for a reasonable purchase price and relatively low maintenance costs. On the down side, I've heard the Nomad can be a bit uncomfortable in rush hour commutes and I wonder how much wind/weather protection I'll get when the temp dips into the 30's.

The BMW RT offers comfort for one or 2 up, not so much leg room, nice storage options, superior handling in the twisties, comfortable cold weather riding thanks to heated grips/adjustable windshield/fairings and the ability to eat up miles. Sadly, the purchase price is higher and the maintance costs can add up in a hurry.

The V-Strom is the jack of all trades bike that has the handling for the twisties, light weight for commuting, enough power 2 up commuting and is priced right. The downside is that it is a jack of all trades but a master of none. Can I live with that?

So there you have it. Got any suggestions on how to stay comfy on the Nomad when it gets nippy out? Spend lots of time in stop and go traffic on your Nomad? I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for all of the great info and sharing. I look forward to getting acquainted.

vorlon
08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Welcome from Central Illinois! Ride safe.

sarge1057
08-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Welcome from Upstate New York :)

bigdave
08-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Welcome from Western North Carolina

strobe
08-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Welcome from Alberta, Canada!

Cajunrider
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome from the Deep South.

ekimpc54
08-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Welcome from central Florida!

cactusjack
08-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State!

psychocycle
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Not sure how the nomad fits in the same category with your BMW and V-Strom. Don't really think there is a good direct comparison between these two bikes (Touring) and the nomad (Cruiser). Not sure what you mean by weather protection but the styling, handling and riding position is entirely different between a touring machine and the Nomad. This is all about personal preference and what your riding objectives are all about. Good Luck with your decision and if your looking for comfort and style we will see you on a Nomad soon. Welcome from Edmonton.

ringadingh
08-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Welcome from Ontario!!

landman
08-20-2009, 09:55 PM
i owned a 2006 v-strom 1000 for awhile.lot's of power,great
handeling and dirt road capable.nothing like the nomad which
is much less powerfull and much heavier and not so good on
the gravel roads.the nomad is however more comfortable on
long rides at more relaxed paces on the open highway.for a
bike that does lots of things pretty well the nomad wins hands
down as an all around highway traveler.