PDA

View Full Version : Dobeck TFI for 1700

trevwales
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Asked them if they were going to make one, and they replied that they are working on one right now, and to get back to them by the end of the month.

The engine seems to run hot like the nomad, so maybe the application of a tfi will work wonders as it does with them.

Just thought I would share,

Trev

dhomoney
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks Trev.

dogdoc
07-19-2009, 03:28 PM
To be honest I wouldn't have thought the new 1700 engine would even NEED a TFI. its supposed to have a brand new FI this and new fuel processor that, so it shouldnt need one. UNLESS it pings, runs hot, surges, etc, then its no better than the 1500/1600 FI.

trevwales
07-19-2009, 03:46 PM
True Doc, but it has a lot of heritage to uphold! Apparently some of the guys in the States are complaining that the engine is hot on the right hand side, (where the exhaust is, strange eh?) mine is warm but not hot. Lucky me it is cold in Wales compared to over there. Warm over here today, it reached 73 degrees F!

The way Kawasaki design the bikes to meet the USA and EURO specs they are borderline lean, and in hot weather they would get quite warm. Haven't seen any reports of surging, pinging, or anything else.

The TFI's always seem to improve the performance of the engines even on a stock bike so nothing lost by trying. Got to spend the money I would have spent on bling on something!

Trev

putt
08-16-2009, 02:24 AM
The EPA says........
Last couple of years (at least) all new bikes would benefit from a fuel controller mod
out the factory door they ALL run lean, run hot. And at a steady 92 F every day in Florida, the need takes on more urgency than in Maine, Wales, the Upper Peninsula or Kodiak, Alaska. Doesn't matter what the manufacturers advertisements say about "new this, new that" they are basically just trying to keep the engines from melting because bottom line, the EPA rules!
In my experience the only bike that doesn't encounter this is the Goldwing. :(

mrclean
08-17-2009, 08:21 AM
My Voyager doesn't run any hotter than my 07 Nomad did. There is definitly no need, that I can see for A TFI. There is definitly no performance issue with this motor. You twist the throttle and hang on. No matter what gear or RPM range. No pingging or luging like my Nomad. I loved my nomad but have no regrets trading up to the Voyager. Peformance and handling is phenomenal.

blowndodge
08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
This would be something to see Dobeck make one as they haven't done one for the New Harley's hot running motor.

If I understood correctly the Voyager now used a "closed Loop" system like Harley.

A closed loop system uses an Oxygen Sensor in the exhaust that continuously measures outside oxygen temp and availability and adjusts the mixture as determined by the Sensor.

Putting a TFI on a closed loop system will have that system constantly overiding with TFI as the TFI used as designed will richen up the mixture and then the Oxygen Sensor "downstream" will indicate a too rich mixture and the bikes computer will try to lean that out.

I wonder how Dobeck is going to solve this without something to shut down the Oxygen Sensor in the exhaust and not causing a fault "Limp Home" code?

There is some material out there that guys have used different value O2 Sensors in their exhaust to change the mixture on Harley's.

trevwales
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi BD, is that what the dingus is on the front of the right side muffler? Saw it there today as was chaining the beast up, and thought, hmmm interesting. As you say the two systems would be fighting each other constantly, and will be interesting to see what does happen. Where did you get the info about the sensor and closed loop system? Be interesting to read up on it!

Trev

blowndodge
08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I got a buddy trying to defeat his O2 sensor on his Harley and has done a lot of research on it. Installing either a 1 meg Ohm resister or a sensor with a different value.

I believe MaKaw's system is closed hence O2 sensor. If you have a do-hicky with wires mounted in the exhaust then you have one too. There will be a way around it I believe fairly soon.

trevwales
08-18-2009, 04:11 PM
OK, thanks. Was down local bike shop and they had a 1700 classic there on the dyno checking it out. Perfect mix (well 14:1) all through the revs and under load too. The mixture line was near as dammit flat. So just maybe they don't need one. But will keep on looking anyway.

Be nice if they got something right first go eh? We shall see..

Thanks, Trev

blowndodge
08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
A knock sensor would be nice instead of the O2 sensor. Oh well.