PDA

View Full Version : another GPS question

fish
01-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a garmin c330 and they don't made a holder for a bike. Now did anyone try to use the suction cup mount on thier bike??

dui546
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I actually tried that once with my older gps without success. I searched and found several universal mounts that claimed to probably work (ranging in price from $25 to $50). I never bought one.

My wife then bought me the Garmin Zumo 550 for Christmas. I was at a loss for words. She had seen me searching endlessly for gps systems and various components to try and make one of my two older gps units work on my Nomad.

I was seriously looking at the Zumo 450 and informed her that I was going to save and purchase one for the bike sometime in April. The 550 definitely has all the bells and whistles to include cell phone blue tooth headset capabilities and a built in mp3 player. I have around $1000.00 total invested in the gps and Scala Rider Team Head Set. I think my wife just wanted to be able to reach me on the phone when I am out on my bike, which is a lot of dinero $$$ for that purpose alone.

However, if you are seriously wanting to take road trips on your Nomad and feel that a gps is going to be needed, I'd recommend buying one of the Garmin or the Tom Tom motorcycle specific gps because they are designed for exposure to the elements. I am very anxious to start touring extended areas on my Nomad and I am convinced that having the right gear is a must.

01-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Make sure it's held securely in the holder, lost a brand new Garmin last year due to a aftermarket holder!!

ringadingh
01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
I once had a suction cup holder that would let loose once in a while, I cured the problem by smearing a thin layer of silicone sealant on the cups, it worked well from then on. This is only a good idea if you plan on leaving the mount on the bike for an indefinite period. It does come off with no trace quite easily when its time to remove. Also route the wires so if it ever does fall off it will dangle off the handlebars by the wiring instead of bouncing along the asphalt.

gshep
01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Fish,
I have installed a Garmin 330C on my Nad. I had to purchase a new mount because the rubber on my original mount split. I had saved the original mount so I modified it to a handlebar mount.
I used a trianglar piece of 1/2" plastic cutting board. Drilled a 1" hole and then split it to mount on the handle bars. A couple of countersunk 8-32 socket head cap screws secured the plastic to the bars. Then I used the remains of the old mount where the fork mounts to the suction cup.
If you are interested, I can supply patterns and photos . I also made a safety leash. I used a short 6" wire fishing leader with clip to secure it to the gps housing.
All in all , it works great, doesn't look too bad and net cost was about $2.
Let me know if you want particulars.

Shep

fish
01-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks shep pic would be great that way I can get an idea how it should look. You can e-mail then if you want.

cactusjack
01-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a garmin c330 and they don't made a holder for a bike. Now did anyone try to use the suction cup mount on thier bike??

Personally, I wouldn't trust a suction cup mount on a bike. The worst that can happen if a suction cup mount lets go in a car is the device hits the dash or carpeted floor. On a bike the stakes are a little higher. Check this place out for all kinds of mounting solutions. www.techbiker.com (http://www.techbiker.com) I don't have a GPS yet, but when I get one I'll get the mount from these guys.

davidjones1
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I did try the suction cup, I let the bike run about 10 min in place and the d#m thing fell off, so now it will have the expensive mount much cheaper then a new GPS,

shep would like to see your mount Idea it sounds like it could be used for more then just the GPS.
ride safe

jayc
01-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Try Mountguys.com

fish
01-21-2008, 01:11 PM
jayc, thanks, good site and good prices.
shep, no need to send pictures, thanks anyway.

donoller
01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
CYCLE GADGETS HAS LOT OF THINGS TO MAKE YOUR GPS WORK MINE HAS BEEN 30.0000 MILES WITH NO PROBLEMS

dogdoc
01-21-2008, 10:18 PM
No gps, No worries feller's.