PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

bennynomad
08-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Hello-I just picked up my 07 Nomad this past Saturday. I must say it is the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. Prior to the Nomad I have been riding my 04 800 Drifter which I plan on keeping as a spare. One quick question I have on the Nomad, do you really have to run 90 octane or above? That was something I didn't know before I bought it. I am sure as time goes on I will have more questions.

Thanks-Benny

socwkbiker
08-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Welcome Benny! That really comes down to personal choice since, I think, we've all seen people run with regular. My personal preference is to run iwht super since I know the benefits of the higher octane. Since yours is new, it is probably best to use 90 or above.

trip
08-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Welcome benny and glad to hear you got your Nomad.

I have always used 90+ octane, but there are those that run less in the summer and 90+ in the winter. Also, if you're running two-up, might be best to use 90+.

08-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Socwk....... what exactly are the benefits of higher octane??

blowndodge
08-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Higher octane raises the temperature threshold to pre-ignition

Todd
08-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey Benny,

I am also new to the forum but have ridden the Nomad about 11 months now. Have an 06 and have always run 90+...I figure the benefits are worth the extra few bucks a tank. 5 gallons at .30 extra is only a buck and a half and I dont have to listen to pre-ignition knocking and it feels like I am feeding my baby the good stuff at the very least. Prior to the Nomad I rode a Shadow 1100, it did not require it, but I ran 90+ in it all the time also.

socwkbiker
08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, what he said. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Higher octane raises the temperature threshold to pre-ignition

08-08-2007, 11:10 AM
The reason I ask, and this has obviously come up before, is that my carbed '99 nomad definately starts easier on 87 octane. Best I can figure is that the lower the octane the more combustable it is.... once it's running I can't tell the difference between 87 and 91, but the starting on one crank vs 3 is noticeabe.... no doubt the FI throws a whole different twist to it. I've never experienced any ping no matter how hot it gets here in SoCal even in the desert at 110*....... the other thing that might come into play is the brand of gasoline and the % of gasahol/methanol/ whatever it may contain.... maybe??

bennynomad
08-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys, makes sense, I will stick with the 90 and above octane

unwind2
08-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi bennynomad - welcome to KawaNOW.

Just to pass on my experiece. I had a Kawasaki dealer install an eletronic cruise control on my Nomad. Before taking it in I had filled for the first time with the 87 octane. The guy had to drive the bike several times testing out the cruise as he had a little problem at first. When we came back to get the bike he said.......you're not putting low octance gas in you're bike are you.....when I told that was the first time...he said I could tell by the way it was running....you don't want to do that.....use the 90.

lw
08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Welcome Benny & Todd to the finest Nomad forum on the web. I'm a newbie myself, but logging miles on my '07 at a pretty good clip (1,200 so far) since taking delivery of my first bike on July 12th.

blowndodge
08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
The reason I ask, and this has obviously come up before, is that my carbed '99 nomad definately starts easier on 87 octane. Best I can figure is that the lower the octane the more combustable it is.... once it's running I can't tell the difference between 87 and 91, but the starting on one crank vs 3 is noticeabe.... no doubt the FI throws a whole different twist to it. I've never experienced any ping no matter how hot it gets here in SoCal even in the desert at 110*....... the other thing that might come into play is the brand of gasoline and the % of gasahol/methanol/ whatever it may contain.... maybe??

Nico, remember gas is a commodity and sold on the open market just like soybeans, wheat, pork bellies, corn, etc..

You are somewhat correct it that a lower octane level will ignite "easier" because of the lower flash point of the fuel. It shouldn't be really noticable however, unless your spark is deficient, which I doubt.

Experts agree that your best mileage will be from the lowest octane your engine will tolerate because of this increase in volitility of lower octane.

How fresh the gas is and how much alcohol is blended in with it will make a difference too. Gas burns best at about 14.7 to 1 fuel to air and Vodka burns best at twice that. About 7 to 1. Thats why flex fuel cars get less mileage on booze then gas. You have to burn twice as much to get it to flash correctly like gas.

08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
BD, you are a walking encyclopedia! I take it I should continue with 87 octane since it runs well and that's what the '99 calls for..... as for the vodka....... I seem to get more mileage from Potter's than from Absolut.... at least dollar wise! :)

Todd
08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I get better mileage out of Grey Goose...

The only problem is that I keep burning it until the whole tank is dry. Then I seem to have problems the next day with spark knocks, clicking valves, stuck throttle linkage, electrical system malfunction, and grinding when shifting. Seems to clear up by the second day though.

I hear if you add lime it will increase your mpg. Havent tried that yet.

rzuni
08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I mostly ride two up and we seem to get better performance and mileage from 90+ . I bought my nad late april '07 and have put 9900 miles on it. I did use 87 once and it sputtered around a bit. I agree the difference is only $0.2 per gallon so $1.00 extra per tank and she just purrs is well worth it.

blowndodge
08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
BD, you are a walking encyclopedia! I take it I should continue with 87 octane since it runs well and that's what the '99 calls for..... as for the vodka....... I seem to get more mileage from Potter's than from Absolut.... at least dollar wise! :)

Yes continue running 87 you lucky b**tard! Many many many years in the motorcycle racing industry and using all types of fuel including Nitromethane. Methanol, blended racing gas.

I was hoping I'd forget some of it to make room for some new stuff in my brain but unfortunate some of that esoteric crap still hangs out in my head no matter how much I Vodka, oops, drink..

Todd
08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
All B.S. aside,

with the FI bikes you run a real risk of pre-ignition with the lower octanes the way the timing is set up from the factory specs. Fuel will start to burn before piston is in the right position. After a while, it's hard on the pistons, valves, and even heads...just a shadetrees opinion.
Now pass the Stoli.or Goose or Smirnoff...H*ll, just gimme a beer...it's 5pm on the east coast!!

08-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I quit the lime juice.... took up too much room in the glass....

BEST VODKA I'VE EVER HAD IS KIRKLAND VODKA... MADE IN FRANCE... BOUGHT AT COSTCO. (PRICE CLUB) TRY IT AND TELL ME I'M NOT RIGHT!

NICO

vulcanvixen
08-09-2007, 07:49 PM
When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!
--Old Irish toast

CHEERS!!!

dogdoc
08-09-2007, 09:44 PM
V V: What kinda bike you ride dear???

Doc

vulcanvixen
08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
V V: What kinda bike you ride dear???

Doc

Hey Doc......unfortunately, not a Nomad-------yet!! I ride a 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - kinda what I like to think of as the 'little sister'. Guess I'm just a "support vehicle" until I grow up!

As soon as I have pics of my bike (and hopefully with me on it! lol) I'll post them. Just haven't had the opportunity for anyone to take pics of me yet!

lw
08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
[quote author=dogdoc board=general thread=1186577233 post=1186713898]

As soon as I have pics of my bike (and hopefully with me on it! lol) I'll post them. Just haven't had the opportunity for anyone to take pics of me yet!

Sooooo maybe some can be taken this weekend during the So Cal Nomad enclave? Surely youre not letting those two out unsupervised are ya? I mean, somebody has to either keep them in check, or have bail money handy. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

vulcanvixen
08-09-2007, 11:15 PM
(Sooooo maybe some can be taken this weekend during the So Cal Nomad enclave? Surely youre not letting those two out unsupervised are ya? )

I have 2 foreign exchange students living with me and I promised to take them sight-seeing on Saturday (one leaves Sunday morning). So, Nico and BD will be on their own - OMG!!!!!!

lw
08-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Holy shock-probation Batman. Sometimes all you can do is hope for the best. . . and listen for breaking news!

vulcanvixen
08-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Holy shock-probation Batman. Sometimes all you can do is hope for the best. . . and listen for breaking news!

<marquee> CALL ** KAWA911 **</marquee>

I'll keep my cell phone handy and the volume turned to max. Should we start a collection for bail now????

unwind2
08-12-2007, 07:02 AM
[quote author=dogdoc board=general thread=1186577233 post=1186713898]V V: I ride a 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - kinda what I like to think of as the 'little sister'. Guess I'm just a "support vehicle" until I grow up!

Vixen - support vehicle - cute. ;)

vulcanvixen
08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Vixen - support vehicle - cute. ;)

Knowing this group.....a six-pack in one saddlebag and a couple of 5th's in the other!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

blowndodge
08-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Hey!!! I resemble that remark! This weekend was a bust for Nico and I. I rode down near San Diego to visit family and contacted Nico to schedule a nice ride and got violently ill! I mean VIOLENTLY! I slept in the restroom all night Friday!

This morning my fever broke and I feel relieved, spent, but relieved. Nico and I will hook up at a meeting spot somewhere's about San Clemente or nearabouts for pics and fun for sure.

"a six pack in one saddlebag and a couple of 5th's in the other." Splendid idea V V. shrimp coktail on the pier too!! Will be a great day too!

hahahaha Trip I tried to spell that seafood dish correctly and your vocubulary editor spelled it "thingytail" so I had to mis-spell it!

vulcanvixen
08-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Your wish is my command BD....Glad you're feeling better, btw!