PDA

View Full Version : 2010 SW Rally Location Discussion

waterman
05-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok, we had some discussion earlier about this but lets get serious. I know that we had some interest in Prescott, AZ and I believe Moab, UT.

Please chime in with locations and their positives about what we could do for riding. I believe on of the issues we should look at is trying to keep this as centrally located as possible for everyone involved from the farthest reaches of the region. We also don't want an oven to meet at also or a freezer depending upon location.

Audio and Waterman
SW Management

cactusjack
05-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Moab would be much hotter than Prescott. Moab is like an oven, it's surrounded by rock. It's a great place, but if heat is a concern, you don't want to go there in June-July. I guess that's a risk no matter where we go in the SW area, though.

How about Gallup, NM? (That's a joke - if you've ever been to Gallup, you'd get it)

audiogooroo
05-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Oh yeah, I've been to Gallup NM...and Bwahahahahaha! :)

MarkG
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I think we learned our lesson at Mesquite with the unseasonably hot temperatures. Let's consider something a little more comfortable this time around.

waterman
05-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I think we learned our lesson at Mesquite with the unseasonably hot temperatures. Let's consider something a little more comfortable this time around.

Start throwing ideas out??

dantama
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Torrey Utah, the gateway to hwy 12, the most scenic hwy in America. Close to desert heat and Alpine mountains.

If you ever hear people on VROC talking about riding on Hogs Back in Utah, that's it. World famous.

josh
05-18-2009, 07:19 AM
If you wanted to talk colorado I would suggest Salida Colorado, for California I would suggest something in the reno/tahoe area

cactusjack
05-18-2009, 11:00 AM
If you wanted to talk colorado I would suggest Salida Colorado, for California I would suggest something in the reno/tahoe area

Reno/Tahoe would be nice, but not very centrally located. I still think Flagstaff would be good, Flagstaff is a fairly big place, lots of traffic. Williams is 25 miles west on I-40 and not nearly as busy. I jokingly mentioned Gallup, but how about Taos, NM?

ells
05-18-2009, 09:26 PM
In no particular order:
Santa Fe
Prescott
Durango
Moab (in May)

Then again, I'd defer to someone who wants to do it close to their home turf and do some of the legwork putting it together.

ccmjr77
05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
What about Madrid, NM? LOL! Wild Hogs Rally? LOL!

cactusjack
05-20-2009, 04:18 PM

I saw the movie, but I had to look it up on the map. It's between Santa Fe and ABQ, not a bad idea.

jeffk
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM
The Durango area would be my vote.....There is a quite a variety of terrain and activities in that area.

waterman
05-22-2009, 01:00 PM

New movie?? Wild Kaws!!!! Starring CJ and BD.

ells
05-22-2009, 09:26 PM
"Wild Kaws" I like that. Leave it to a farmer, of sorts :)

Wonder if we can get patches before Custer.

Jared
05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Is there an option to go to Moab in May? Moab is one of my favorite places in the world and it would be awesome to kick off the 2010 season early with a group rally.

cactusjack
05-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Personally, I can make a rally anytime, but a lot of members who have children in school or who are teachers may not have such flexibility in their schedules.

waterman
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Like CJ said that May can be an issue. Early May for me is generally a disaster with work with late May or June being relatively better.