PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Rally

ponch
05-11-2009, 09:32 PM
North Central Members:
Trip has asked that we decide the date for the 2010 regional rally. Greg and I thought that we should put it out here and get some input from all of you. That being said, June 17-20 of 2010 has been taken by the SE region. Trip wants the rallies to not overlap, as he would like to make some of them if not all. On top of that, we have to decide where. If we tried to make it equidistant, the location probably would be in Iowa somewhere, but it might not be near anything worth traveling to. Any ideas?

phenrichs
05-12-2009, 10:56 AM
You're right it would have to be Northern Iowa to Southern Minnesota somewhere to be central I think. I know that southern MN has some nice lake regions that provide some twisty roads. I think we have at least one member from MN and multiple from IA (ponch). I agree that a central location would be preferred. I wonder what the possibility would be of ABATE of Iowa letting us use the Algona campground. Algona is a pretty central spot. I have never been there but they have pics of the place on their site and it is way bigger than we would need but I have heard that that area is very biker friendly.

ponch
05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
There's also Okoboji. If you want to go a little further south, Ledges state park is nice. I can't speak for ABATE, as I don't belong to that organization. If someone here does, may be they can contact someone there and find out. There is always Hawgstock in August: http://www.hawgstock.com/ or http://www.biker-events.com/2009/04/29/hawgstock-motorcycle-rally-aug-20-23rd-winterset-iowa/

Of course that may be too risque for some. :) Anyway, lets hear from the constituency on this.

stretch
05-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I vote for Illinois, perhaps Galena?

glwilson
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
We will have to see who is even interested in a rally at this point. Thus far it seems few are expressing any interest in riding anywhere in our region... which is extremely disappointing.

If my vote counts; I vote for the northwestern area of Illinois for a rally -- specifically the Galena, IL area.

Excluding the outer region's areas, such as Custer, SD; Northern, WI; and Southern, IL where "top-quality" riding areas are found -- this area is the most centrally located based on membership while still providing a great place to ride.

The Galena area is at the top of the list in our Central Region in the category of the "best riding-topography" to be found -- and the accommodations are more than adequate to hold a regional rally.

Just my two cents... maybe we can get some others to chime-in... I hope.

ponch
05-14-2009, 12:10 AM
For the most part, Iowa is pretty flat and the roads straight. I would think Wisconsin would be pretty good too and I agree, the response has been tepid.

phenrichs
05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I suppose it is a year away and everyone is still centered on Custer or finances. I mentioned it to my wife and I think she is up for it. I suppose it will depend on when and where rather than how much. As long as I have a year to save up for it money is no issue (unless I get fired).

So unless she tells me different.
COUNT ME IN FOR 2010!

ponch
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Another thing to consider is that we have 4 VROC clubs in Iowa: Des Moines, Okoboji Loess Hills and Sauk Valley. Good people in all of them, and some even ride Nomads. :) I would also add that Indianola has a huge bike night every third friday from April to October and it is not unheard of to have 2000 bikes there.

kioti
05-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I vote for the 2010 regional rally to be in Boscobel, Wisconsin or somewhere around La Crosse.
You can't ask for better area to ride.
Date choice I will leave up to the group, if I have date issues I will have to work with them. My job keeps me on the road so who knows what 2010 will bring.

ponch
05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
It's a good idea, but isn't it normally the third week in June? I think that may be already taken, and they haven't set the 2010 date yet. On the other hand, the WWR in the 4 corners is around that time. I think it is a good idea though. http://www.boscobelvroc.net/

I vote for the 2010 regional rally to be in Boscobel, Wisconsin or somewhere around La Crosse.
Date choice I will leave up to the group, if I have date issues I will have to work with them. My job keeps me on the road so who knows what 2010 will bring.

ponch
05-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Next year it would start the thursday before father's day which is the 20th of June. So June 17-19.

glwilson
05-14-2009, 10:04 PM

I would agree... from Savanna, IL to Galena, IL and up to the LaCrosse area has the some of the best riding to be found in the region.

If we meet in one of those general areas; we can take long day-rides and cover a lot of the areas up and down the Mississippi.

Sounds like Ponch has the handle on other group's dates to avoid. I don't believe I would have any problem with any date picked; thus will leave it up to whomever wants to vote. I just suggest keeping weather temps in mind when choosing. Likely between June and early September would be the best weather months.

ponch
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, South East nabbed June 17-20. We are not ready for a poll yet, as the dates are wide open right now.

I would agree... from Savanna, IL to Galena, IL and up to the LaCrosse area has the some of the best riding to be found in the region.

If we meet in one of those general areas; we can take long day-rides and cover a lot of the areas up and down the Mississippi.

Sounds like Ponch has the handle on other group's dates to avoid. I don't believe I would have any problem with any date picked; thus will leave it up to whomever wants to vote. I just suggest keeping weather temps in mind when choosing. Likely between June and early September would be the best weather months.

ponch
05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
One of the groups suggested a group ride to Alaska. Now that is cool.

phenrichs
05-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah unless you have ever had a DUI. Then you have to ship you bike up there.

ponch
05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I try not to do that.

Yeah unless you have ever had a DUI. Then you have to ship you bike up there.

glwilson
05-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Come on OP... where is the rebel in you? Can't you just ride fast across the border?

Canada sounds cool to me... wouldn't take a whole lot to convince me to do that.

ponch
05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I guess in this age of computer checks, they can find anything out. So you can't go to Canada at all? May be you can ride b!tch and we'll tow your bike and then you can get on your bike after we get in country.

Come on OP... where is the rebel in you? Can't you just ride fast across the border?

Canada sounds cool to me... wouldn't take a whole lot to convince me to do that.

phenrichs
05-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I could ride fast across the border like Billy the Kid but I don't think I could outrun the hail of gunfire that would most likely follow. People get paranoid these days. Although I am sure that our northern border guards are not nearly as trigger happy as those along the Mexican border.

ponch
05-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh well. I wonder if we stop people coming into this country if they have had a DWI?

I could ride fast across the border like Billy the Kid but I don't think I could outrun the hail of gunfire that would most likely follow. People get paranoid these days. Although I am sure that our northern border guards are not nearly as trigger happy as those along the Mexican border.

ponch
05-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Ok. Lets do it. First one to Dawson Creek buys dinner.

roadman
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
I vote for the Galena area :)

biscuitsngravy
05-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Count me in for next year's rally. Doesn't matter much where either....... except I don't want to go where there is a huge rally as it would be tough to get a hotel room or even a place to park.

And breakfast has to have BiscuitsNGravy.

glwilson
05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Count me in for next year's rally. Doesn't matter much where either....... except I don't want to go where there is a huge rally as it would be tough to get a hotel room or even a place to park.

BnG; just noticed the pic in your post with the Nomad next to what looks like old (and rusted) auto bodies from many years past. Just think... there was a day someone bought those cars when they were brand-new on a dealer's showroom floor and you know they were proud of them... if not even nervous about the cost.

Kind of sad to see that time was long ago... and who knows the history of those cars. If only they could talk... might be an interesting story.

Who knows... someday the "ole" Nomad may end-up in the background of another person's picture of their "newer" bike. If that happens... you better hope the Nomad can't talk!!! http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

jastearns
05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Can't commit that far ahead but we'd go anywhere in the region

ponch
05-19-2009, 09:44 PM
I hope not just biscuits and gravy. Some fried eggs, rashers of bacon, sausage and potatoes. Johnny cakes with real maple syrup would round it out.

phenrichs
05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
ah the perfect breakfast.

Chicken fried steak with lots of gravy, four sausage links, four strips of bacon, 2 eggs over easy, hashbrowns with onions, and two big fat buttermilk biscuits.

With coffee and oj

ponch
05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I guess it's a regional thing. :)

ah the perfect breakfast.

Chicken fried steak with lots of gravy, four sausage links, four strips of bacon, 2 eggs over easy, hashbrowns with onions, and two big fat buttermilk biscuits.

With coffee and oj

phenrichs
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM
I would have said johnny cakes but I didn't want to sound like a pig. I figured my list was long enough.

I am really just happy if they don't over cook the eggs.

ponch
05-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Having grown up in the east, English style/New England breakfasts were the norm. I wouldn't consider you a pig at all. A man's gotta eat.

I would have said johnny cakes but I didn't want to sound like a pig. I figured my list was long enough.

I am really just happy if they don't over cook the eggs.

phenrichs
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
I do like to do that.

ponch
05-24-2009, 02:06 PM
South Central has posted their schedule for next year too, which is the following week of the South East Rally, which is the 17,18,19 of June 2010. So South Central is 24,25, 26 I believe.

scion0
05-26-2009, 12:51 AM
I vote for the Galena area :)

I like that idea also.

scion0
05-26-2009, 12:53 AM

Yum to the biscuits N gravy! My folks are from TN and that is a regular breakfast there.

glwilson
05-26-2009, 06:40 AM
I would prefer to base out of Prarie du Chien Wisconsin; after having done this ride a few times now.

The rides along the Mississippi River from that point and north provide some of best scenery in the Midwest without any doubt -- and the side roads going out from the river provide some of the best "twisties" one can handle on a bike.

There is lots to do and see; and plenty of roads to ride in that region that can challenge the best.

I would look at a date in late June or mid-to-late July for that region.

ponch
05-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Late June is already taken. We'll have to shoot for mid to late July. I am fine with the location, let's nail down the dates.

I would prefer to base out of Prarie du Chien Wisconsin; after having done this ride a few times now.

The rides along the Mississippi River from that point and north provide some of best scenery in the Midwest without any doubt -- and the side roads going out from the river provide some of the best "twisties" one can handle on a bike.

There is lots to do and see; and plenty of roads to ride in that region that can challenge the best.

I would look at a date in late June or mid-to-late July for that region.

glwilson
05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
We'll have to see what others have available. Another thought would be to try for the fall-follage; which would put us in to the late part of September to mid-October. The only risk there is the colder weather begins to be unpredictable -- however the fall colors at that time are unbelievable.

If July is chosen we would look at a weekend I suppose -- so that leaves dates surrounding the weekends of 17th & 18th; 24th & 25th; and the 31st & August 1st.

If anyone is at all interested -- please give a nod one way or the other soon to these dates and the location of starting in Prairie du Chien, WI.

If anyone has other ideas or suggestions; please say something.

Anyway... there is my two-cents.

ponch
05-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I think it is time for a poll on location. prairie du chien, galena, or somewhere else.

We'll have to see what others have available. Another thought would be to try for the fall-follage; which would put us in to the late part of September to mid-October. The only risk there is the colder weather begins to be unpredictable -- however the fall colors at that time are unbelievable.

If July is chosen we would look at a weekend I suppose -- so that leaves dates surrounding the weekends of 17th & 18th; 24th & 25th; and the 31st & August 1st.

If anyone is at all interested -- please give a nod one way or the other soon to these dates and the location of starting in Prairie du Chien, WI.

If anyone has other ideas or suggestions; please say something.

Anyway... there is my two-cents.

glwilson
05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Let the poll begin; and then we will let the chips fall where they may.

Greg

baddad
05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I vote Galena area.

ponch
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Then go to the poll and vote!

I vote Galena area.

scion0
05-31-2009, 11:01 PM
How hot does either location get in July or August?

ponch
06-01-2009, 11:27 AM
The next poll will be dates. This could be from May to September. When the other polls are done, we'll get to it. My guess is no hotter than anywhere else in the region.

How hot does either location get in July or August?

lonewolf
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
think we are doin it bass akwards ! lock in a date then we can figure out the "where"! other regions can beat us to a date, but they arnt going to go to the same area !!!!! just my 2 cents.

ponch
06-01-2009, 11:02 PM
we are already there.

think we are doin it bass akwards ! lock in a date then we can figure out the "where"! other regions can beat us to a date, but they arnt going to go to the same area !!!!! just my 2 cents.

ponch
06-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Actually, the two polls were concurrent. The third poll is for the date based on narrowing down our choices. Too many choices would leave a small plurality if you could call it that to decide what the date might be. This process has been democratic and if someone wants a particular outcome, then persuade us here. Everyone has a say and a vote.